Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recalled Dedoxil dispensed to me today ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recalled Dedoxil dispensed to me today ?

I've been prescribed Amoxilcillin, in the form of Dedoxil 250mg capsules. It's a one week course, 21 capsules 3 time a day.

I started them tonight, and only after taking one (silly), I decided to check about Dedoxil on the net as I'd never heard of it before today. I was taken aback to find that certain batches had been recalled on 27th June, and I quickly checked my pack details.

Product License: PL 00225/0071
    Expiry Date: SEP 2007
    Batch No. S8166007

I'm quite angry that the above product license matches the recalled product, and was dispensed to me today the 2nd of July. Shouldn't this have been taken off the shelves ? Also, discounting for a moment the fact of it being faulty, isn't that expiry date a little too close for comfort anyway ?

Where should I go from here ?

Re: Recalled Dedoxil dispensed to me today ?

Injury lawyers4u?
    johnep

Comment

John you're a stirring so-and-so!

Phoenix I would go back to the pharmacy where the item was dispensed and ask them to change it.
      How this happened could be down to a number of things.
      If the shop is run on locums then the details of the recall may have been lost.
      The dispensary could have been very busy and a single box of the amoxicillin could have been left on the shelf when the others were taken off.
      Of there could be no good reason for it.

Just ask.

Everything is done to try and stop these things happening but sometimes shit happens. Unfortunately this time you were on the receiving end.
      I would say that in the majority of product recalls a lot more items are recalled than necessary in an effort to ensure that all of the problem is stopped so there may actually be nothing wrong with the capsules you've received but this is no excuse for what happened.

As to the use by date. If I saw a packet of tablets on my shelf marked best before Aug 2007. If I received a Rx for a 7 day course I would feel perfectly happy dispensing that on 23/6/07.

Use by dates mean just that. If the product is used by that date there is no problem whatsoever.

Hope this helps and sorry you've been put through this.

All the best.
      Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
      pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
      eloquent-e-tales

Comment

As an aside - the recall notice
        http://www.info.doh.gov.uk/doh/embroadcast.nsf/fd1653b6e6be59d180256b7900507749/d99bd4d8b3b0bf2b80257307002a0005/$FILE/EL%2807%29A11additional_001.pdf
        lists the product licence as
        "PL 0225/0071"

yet the poster has a PL with an additional 0 at the front.
        "PL 00225/0071"

Some consistency would be nice - any chance of you mentioning it?

Jeff

Comment

Hello Phoenix71,

I'd just like to back up a few of Linnear's points - there are a number of safeguards in place to stop these things from happening. But, sometimes, shit does happen, and things slip through (I don't mean to sound blase).

I'd return them to the pharmacy (take a copy of the recall notice with you - many pharmacies don't have internet access) and ask for a replacement.

And, it's not cutting it fine on the expiry date. Most courses of amoxicillin only last 7 days and will be started ASAP. So two months in plenty of time.

Comment

I actually had to quarantine some Dedoxil in our dispensary today. Spooky or what?

It was in Genesis packaging and I only noticed it was actually Dedoxil caps because we had a Rx for 15.

What happened at the pharmacy Phoenix?

If you're not happy with the outcome let us know what's happened and we'll tell you the best thing to do if you're still not happy.

All the best.
            Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

NT had the idea pf direct e-mails from the MHRA.

I chased it up and it can already happen!

Go to their website and click on online services.

Apparently you can sign up for all sorts of email alerts.
              Linnear MRPharmS

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Just signed up for my e-mail alerts

MHRA – Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency - Home page

Go to online services.

It took me about two minutes and you can get alerts for recalls, job vacancies, new reports.

Looks good.
                Linnear MRPharmS

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Ah yes, I came accross this a couple of days ago too. So simple! So effective! (Direct link: Login to your account)

However, I do not think it solves the problem - as only a couple of dozen people (and that's probably being optimistic) will sign up for service as a result of reading this message. Would be helpful if as many pharmacists as possible would routinely emailed by the Soc with alerts as necessary.

Comment

Come on NT.

All those that are interested can sign up and those that aren't would probably treat the unsolicited emails as junk and bin them anyway.

Will look into it but I'm not gonna hold my breath on getting anything done considering the setup that the MHRA already has.

Sorry.
                    Linnear MRPharmS

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

I've just found this forum by googling Dedoxil, as I was given 21 x 500mg Dedoxil with Genesis Pharmaceuticals livery by my dentist last Tuesday. On Friday after taking them for four days - partly because I felt they were not working and perhaps because I am a bit inquisitive - like the original poster I googled to see what I could find. I immediately found the MHRA alerts dated 26 Jun 2007. Mine are batch PL 00225/0072 with expiry date of Feb 2008.

I wasn't able to contact my dentist over the weekend, but did inform his emergency cover. The pharmacist in my village advised me to stop taking them. Luckily my tooth is not causing too much of a problem!

Comment

Working...
                      X