Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrogenous Compounds

Hi there,

I'm in the middle of doing my PhD in Analytical Chemistry and the problems associated with the use of reversed-phase HPLC when analysing basic (and to some extent acidic) compounds. I need to write a section in my thesis about why so many drugs are nitrogenous bases (I think its ~60%!) and just wanted to make sure I'd covered all angles.

If you have any suggestions they would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

nitrogenous compounds

Amino groups are common perhaps because these compds were original building blocks. After all DNA is made up of amino acids.
    johnep

Comment

Nitrogenous Compounds

Originally posted by johnep View Post
      Amino groups are common perhaps because these compds were original building blocks. After all DNA is made up of amino acids.
      johnep
      A lot of drugs mimic the natural transmitters in the body, a lot of them block receptors. Some are reversible, some irreversible. Most of this means that the compound must have nearly the right overall shape and/or charge pattern to interact with a specific receptor. This is borne out by the difference in activity between the (l) and (d) (R & S) stereoisomers. Can't think of any transmitters that don't have nitrogen in there somewhere?

Read somewhere that nitrogen in the form of nitrous oxide (?) was probably the 'primeaval transmitter'.

For a computer analogy, its like storing passwords. If the checksum of the password is stored, another word that gives the same checksum can act as a password.

Hope that helps you along a bit.

Damn, you've gone and overloaded my brain now.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Read somewhere that nitrogen in the form of nitrous oxide (?) was probably the 'primeaval transmitter'.
        I always thought nitrous oxide was endothelium derived relaxing factor. I remember having a small book on it at Uni. I found a few pages on the net about it such as: -

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/84/24/9265

Gee I think that even woke my little brain up a bit !
        Last edited by admin; 20, December 2006, 12:26 AM.
        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post

Gee I think that even woke my little brian up a bit !

Who's Brian and where are you keeping the poor bloke?
          Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
          pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
          eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
            Who's Brian and where are you keeping the poor bloke?
            Told you - it wore it out !

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
            Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
            Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Working...
            X