Dihydrocodeine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dihydrocodeine

Hi there, i have just been put on these tablets (3x30mg per day) following a fall in which i broke part of my knee (docs were not sure but thought that was most likely.) Am i able to take these for the pain and Ibuprofen for the inflammation, or is it not safe to mix these?

I have also read many negative comments about dihydrocodeine on a website with regards to its addictive nature; i have sixty tablets - if i take as advised will this pose me any problems?

Thankyou for your time.

Originally posted by dr_fred_bob
    Hi there, i have just been put on these tablets (3x30mg per day) following a fall in which i broke part of my knee (docs were not sure but thought that was most likely.) Am i able to take these for the pain and Ibuprofen for the inflammation, or is it not safe to mix these?

I have also read many negative comments about dihydrocodeine on a website with regards to its addictive nature; i have sixty tablets - if i take as advised will this pose me any problems?

Thankyou for your time.
    It's safe to take ibuprofen with dihydrocodeine
    Yes dihydrocodeine is addictive.
    Will it cause YOU any problems - who knows.
    Many of the effective painkillers have the potential for addiction - your alternative is pain - and it's your decision.

Jeff

Comment

dihydrocodine cantains codine , which comes from the same family of morphine, so it can be a highly adictive drug, so make sure u only take them when u need them and only for a short period of time. ibruprofen is an antiinflammatory which is safe to use with codine products, but make sure u dont take aspirin etc the only other painkiller u can take is paracetomol if u really need to. but only take the ibruprofen for a short time because on a long term basis it may cause stomach ulcers.

Comment

Originally posted by love
        dihydrocodine cantains codine
        Bollocks

Jeff

Comment

Thankyou for your time.
          Dihydocodeine is part of the same family of drugs (called 'opioid painkillers') as codeine and morphine, amongst others.

Yes, it is safe to take dihydrocodeine with ibuprofen. Always take ibuprofen with food (as long term use without food can cause stomach ulcers). Maximum dose of ibuprofen you can take is 2 of the 200mg tablets THREE times daily. Paracetamol can also be added to this - a maximum of 2 of the 500mg tablets FOUR times daily.

Yes, repeated use of opioids MAY cause dependence and tolerance. But using a dose which is sufficient for pain control for a short period of time SHOULD be ok.

These are the facts. Hope it helps. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Comment

Thankyou all for your time and responses; you have made me feel better about taking them (and using alongside ibuprofen)

Thankyou.

Comment

Thankyou all for your time and responses; you have made me feel better about taking them (and using alongside ibuprofen)

Thankyou.
              I'd just add that I have taken codeine tablets for years, and I wouldn't say I am addicted to them in any way. If I'm not at work I often don't take any, but have never felt any kind of withdrawel symptoms. I also tend to take less in the summer and more in the winter, as you might expect.

I once went on holiday to Kenya, and only took about 12 in 2 weeks, so as long as you take them for pain in the correct quantities, they are not addictive.
              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
              Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

I've always warned people to be wary of addictive drugs but my advice has always been if you're taking the drug for the same reason as it was prescribed e.g. pain and only for that reason then I don't see you've got too much to worry about.

If you find you're taking it and the reason you're meant to be taking is no longer present then you could be in trouble.
                Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
                pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Linnear

Thats exactly true, even with morphine etc.
                  Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                  Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                  Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Dear Dr_Fred_Bob
                    watch out for good old constipation with the dihydroCODs!

try not to use Ibuprofen long term particularly if you are mature (65 and over sorry if this doesn't apply, or if you'e have high BP etc) as latest CSM advice is that it should be used for the shortest period possible
                    Last edited by kemzero; 19, September 2006, 06:47 PM.
                    Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Re: Dihydrocodeine

Is dihydrocodeine stronger than codeine because of bioavailability (increased solubility) or because of the therapeutic index? Any pharmacokinetics whizzes out there?
                      MUR

Major Underestimation of Resources

Comment

I would have thought it was because of DHC's higher affinity for the opiod receptor, DHC actually has lower bioavailabilty than codeine (20% VS 90%).
                        We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fred_bob View Post
                          (docs were not sure but thought that was most likely.)
                          What do you mean? Just a guess about a fracture from your doctor!

Just surprised they went straight to DHC rather than codeine first. If it's very sore 400mg of ibuprofen won't help that much, your doctor could have prescribed diclofenac 75mg bd as long you don't have problems using it.

If you have to use the full dose of DHC everyday for some time, avoid to stop abruptly.

Do you get asthma attacks? (DHC release histamine) if yes avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen the 3rd View Post
                            Is dihydrocodeine stronger than codeine because of bioavailability (increased solubility) or because of the therapeutic index? Any pharmacokinetics whizzes out there?
                            If you can find a copy of this article you might have the answer:

J Pharm Pharmacol. 1973 Dec;25:Suppl:104P-108.

The influence of reducing the C7-C8 double bond of codeine to give dihydrocodeine on the relative physiological availability of the drugs in man.

Vaughan DP, Beckett AH.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen the 3rd View Post
                              Dihydrocodeine is approximately twice as strong as regular codeine, and its not because of bioavailability- its because of the double hyrogen atom in its chemical structure.
                              A pill a day will keep the stress away...!

Comment

Working...
                              X