Gee's Linctus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gee's Linctus

Hi, I was hoping someone might be able to help me by offering advise.
    I have just had a bad cold and although I'm feeling alot better now, I have a persistent dry cough which is quite rough on my throat. About a year ago I had a similar problem and took gee's linctus. I've asked my pharmacist for a bottle but he is reluctant to sell me any. So I got home and did a bit of googleing and found the reason is probably because it contains 'Tincture of Opium' can anyone clarify what Tincture of Opium actually is? Is it a form of codeine? I have also found a few posts on forums about gees linctus saying it is a generation thing and is only still on the shelves because a lot of old people used to use it. I am 21. Could this be why my pharmacist refused to sell me it? Also does Potters Gee's Linctus Pastilles contain the same ingredients? And Finally can anyone suggest any over the counter medications suitable for dry irritating coughs?
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Gee's Linctus

Gee's Linctus-- Opiate LInctus of Squill. This was a favourite in the old days, We sold hundreds of bottles and pastilles as well. A tincture was made by extracting a drug with sherry wine (originally) and Tincture of opium is therefore the resuting solution of a variety of alkaloids dissoled in alcohol of about 15%.

With the development of adition, virtually all the old linctus's which relied on opiates were discontinued or had their sales severely restricted. The availabilty of Squill became difficult as previously collected by peasants and shepherds along the mediterranean coast. The coast is now covered in hotels and the peasants and shepherds are busy chatting up the girls as waiters or barmen.

johnep

Comment

Thank you for your reply johnep.
      Thinking back It was my grandfather that gave me the bottle last time round. Sadly he's no longer with us but I remember he always used to swear by it. So your comment about how you used to sell hundreds of bottles is very interesting.
      Are you your self a pharmacist? If so, hyperthetically, If I or someone like me came to your pharmacy asking for it would you sell them it? I just don't understand why some pharmacys will sell it and others won't. If you wouldn't sell me it what would you suggest as an alternative? I should have asked when I was at the chemist but there was a queue and they seemed quite busy and I didn't feel comfortable talking about medical problems with 6 or 7 people standing behind me.
      I've found an online chemist that does stock gee's but I don't want to order any just yet incase my pharmacist had a good reason for not selling me it. Do you think the sole reason may have been that he thought I may abuse it?
      Cheers.
      Ben.

Comment

If a chemist's staff are being harassed by addicts trying to obtain anything with morphine etc, then it is just not worth stocking the item for the few genuine users.

Am often asked for Kaolin and Morphine, tell them that it has been replaced by imodium.

Another point is that Squill is an expectorant whereas morhpine is a cough suppressant. These activities are antagonistic and not approved these days.

When the govnmt banned cough mixtures on the NHS questions were asked in the house re Ammon Chlor and Morph and Morph and ipecac. Govnmt was adamant that these were not going to be available, and they aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
          The availabilty of Squill became difficult as previously collected by peasants and shepherds along the mediterranean coast. The coast is now covered in hotels and the peasants and shepherds are busy chatting up the girls as waiters or barmen.

johnep
          this reminds me of a pharmacist who explained a natiional shortage of Alexandrian Senna by saying that the Israeli tanks had run over all the plants.
          ....just my opinion

Comment

Well thanks alot for your post johnep. It's been very educational. I see your point about chemists being harassed by addicts. That does explain why some refuse to stock it and I imagine its the same for a lot of medicines. It must be tough when your trying to do a job to help people and you get bombarded with abuse from drug addicts.
            Anyway I was thinking about trying Pholcodine Linctus Bp. It says it has all the benefits of the old codeine linctus medicines with out all the problems associated with them such as addiction or abuse etc.
            Ben.

Comment

Of course, there were headlines in the DM a few months back to the effect that cough medicines do not work at all. All cough medicines are based on a few simple ingredients:

1) An antitussive---pholcodine, dextromethorphan etc
              2) A demulcent-- syrup, honey or sorbitol
              3) An expectorant---used to be ipecac or ammonium salts. Modern is guafenesin
              4) A decongestant, pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine
              5) An antihistamine to help dry up secretions and act as a sedative helping sleep. Diphenhydramine being most popular.

Various combinations and single entities are marketed in 100s of formulations.

All in one remedies contain an analgesic, paracetamol as well.

johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                Of course, there were headlines in the DM a few months back to the effect that cough medicines do not work at all.
                Na, what it proved is that they can't prove it works, or has any lasting benefits. It sure makes me feel better when I have a cough, though.

Same argument goes for Kaolin and Morph - not for coughs, though.

And I used to love Gee's Linctus!

Joke: for a cough, take half a bottle of castor oil. Wait an hour or two, and you won't be able to cough. [Please don't try that at home]
                ....just my opinion

Comment

If your cough is worse at night you might want to check for some form of asthma..

Now, the pseudo-scientists who claim cough suppressants don't work should review their protocols and gimmicks..the best proof they do work: patients feedbacks who usually ask for them because they did the job last time..

Comment

Are you taking ACE inhibitors (like captopril, enalapril etc) by any chance?
                    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Dry cough mixture, I know people buy them time and time again is some sort of proof they work but are people buying them on the basis that they supress the cough or treat the cause of the cough?
                      Make some one smile today.

Comment

All these studies saying cough medicines are useless wind me up - they all seem to say that none of them treat the cold. Well, we all knew that, and so do the patients - we just want the thing to be a bit more bearable while it takes its course. So I think the studies are measuring the wrong thing.

And, to the OP - go for pholcodeine for a dry cough. In fact, pholcodeine makes it really easy not to stock codeine/Gee's as it works just the same for a dry cough and so no probs for real patients, no jollies for addicts
                        Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

I used to keep codeine linctus in the house as part of my medicine cabinet.

Unfortunately I'm a sugar addict and the taste of codeine linctus is soooo nice I had to stop buying it so my sugar addiction didn't turn into anything harder to manage!

Comment

Flavouring in the old days was Wild Cherry. I thought this was delish.
                            johnep

Comment

Working...
                            X