Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sativex

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me an update with regards to the current script/supply situ with regards to Sativex in the UK? Am I right in saying it is still schedule 1 but some wavier has been granted meaning any Medical Doctor can script it?

Is there any truth to the rumor that PCT's are blacklisting funding for it in patients who don't have a 100% concrete MS diagnosis? Can it be obtained from any Pharmacy or is it still a job for the local hospital pharmacy via ethical importation from Canada?

Many Thanks,

mr_colt.

Re: sativex

You can order it from Healthcare Logistics. They will send you a fax form with a bunch of details to fill out including some info about the prescribing doctor and medical condition for which it is prescribed. I contacted the NPA about how its regulated - it is allowed to be prescribed - but I ain't got a clue abpout PCT and NHS funding issues - I've never seen an NHS GP prescribe it.
    Last edited by Raju; 13, May 2008, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Surely if it's a drug (as opposed to an appliance), which isn't on the blacklist, the PPA has to pay for it, regardless of PCT funding issues. (Whether they surcharge the GP later is another matter.)

Same for malarial prophylaxis and travel vaccinations.

Is that not part of the NHS dispensing contract?

Comment

We had patient on this for quite a while, as previous poster said it was obtained from Healthcare Logistics.

We obtained and dispensed with no problems, although we did have trouble remembering to enter in and out of CD Reg!!!

PPA paid up no questions asked!

Comment

Originally posted by lamzee View Post
          Surely if it's a drug (as opposed to an appliance), which isn't on the blacklist, the PPA has to pay for it, regardless of PCT funding issues. (Whether they surcharge the GP later is another matter.)

Same for malarial prophylaxis and travel vaccinations.

Is that not part of the NHS dispensing contract?
          The PPA pay for the medicine if the GP prescribes it, but the GP has some form of penalty, or they may be breaking the GMS contract.

E.g. with sildenafil the pharmacy get paid regardless, but the doctor would be breaking his/her contract if they prescribed it for a man who didn't fit the DoH criteria for having it prescribed on the NHS. or with anti-malarials, the GPs the GP's budget would be penalised. Anti-retrovirals, in some PCTs, are also not meant to be prescribed by GPs. If they prescribed it in these PCTs we'd be paid, but the GP would be breaking some rule or the other.

Comment

Working...
          X