Help! Are there any anesthetics for frequent injections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Are there any anesthetics for frequent injections

My mum is a 70 year old diabetic who has to inject 5 times a day.

Despite 2 years of this, she is still having pain during the process and she is becoming very obsessed with the pain, cries a lot and generally losing her will to live.

We heard of EMLA cream which was exciting until we found out it cannot be used frequently. She really sparked up when we thought we had found a way to remove the pain of the injections.

Is there any non/prescription drugs that she can use to numb the pain of the needle that can be used 5 times a day? Or any tips ie would you suggest ICE or something else?

Re: Help! Are there any anesthetics for frequent injections

There are various needle-free insulin administration systems available - they somehow force a stream of insulin through the skin. I've never seen one and have no idea how the cost compares to injections or whether they would be suitable for your mum but it's worth talking to her GP/diabetic nurse if injections are causing her so much distress.

Comment

Hi,
      what about considering to use a insulin pump?
      Last edited by johannes; 25, May 2008, 07:34 AM.

Comment

There are some newer needles around that are more of a lance so are supposed to hurt less. Is the diabetic nurse discussing this?

Comment

I will bring this up on the next nurse visit. Thanks for the advice. Do you know if my mum can use any anesthetic either from the chemist or natural ie someone suggested ice?

Comment

Is it because the insulin is straight out of the 'fridge and consequently cold? That can cause problems.

Some insulins (e.g. Lantus) are formulated to be kept out of the fridge for a while before injection, precisely because of this.

Comment

Shouldn't all insulin be kept out of fridge once in use? Upto a month and then discard remainder.

Comment

As far as I know pens should be kept out of the fridge especially if the needle remains mounted.
                Reason: If the needle remaines mounted and pen than is stored in a fridge volume depression occurs and the next applicated dose will be not correct. That's one of the reasons why needles should be changed after use, also the neddle isn's sharp anymore leading to increased pain at following applications.

Comment

Das wußte ich nicht!
                  Vielen Dank, Johannes; ich habe heute wieder mal etwas Neues gelernt!
                  Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                    Das wußte ich nicht!
                    Vielen Dank, Johannes; ich habe heute wieder mal etwas Neues gelernt!
                    Wieder ein paar Punkte für's CPD?
                    lol

Comment

I'm also intrigued at the necessity for administration five times a day. Surely, in these days of very long acting formulations this should not be necessary. Are her blood levels that unstable?
                      Sounds like a thorough review is necessary.

Don't ask me though; not my field.

Comment

Originally posted by johannes View Post
                        Wieder ein paar Punkte für's CPD?
                        lol
                        Aber selbstverständlich!
                        "Unscheduled learning" rules OK!

Comment

Hi,
                          By the way, I have never seen one using Emla for insulin injection.
                          Emlas frequently were used for tatoos. Emla cream onto skin, covered with cling for 20 to 30 min. and then bsirrrrr.

scary?
                          Last edited by johannes; 29, May 2008, 10:26 AM.

Comment

My local tattoo-artist swears by Ametop gel; he says he's tried Emla but it isn't as good...

Comment

Working...
                            X