Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• desperately looking for some advice

hello all,

i'm usually a fit and well 30 year old, but lately i've felt terrible.
    three weeks ago iwent to my gp with an ulcer on my tonsil, he gave me some amoxicillin which i took , but it did not help. the following week my throat was very sore still and he gave me some blue anti biotics (penicillin vk), again these did not help.
    i went back to my gp on thursday as i could now feel lumps inside my throat and my breath smells vile. he took a swab test and booked me in for a blood test this coming tuesday, he offered me a sick note but i declined and returned to work.
    by friday lunchtime i was finding work difficult so i went home at lunchtime and rang in sick, i still had the sore throat and a violent headache from the top of my skull down the right side of my face all the way to my jaw and teeth. i slept the whole of friday afternoon, night and alll through saturday and so on untill about half an hour ago. i still have the headache and pains in my face especially behind my eyes, i have no apetite (not eaten since friday morning and do not feel hungry now)
    i am finding it very difficult to focus and keep feeling confused. this weekend i have been awake for about 3hours in total, during which i have been agitated and moody and have lashed out at everyone close to me making my boyfriend walk out on me needing some space and my daughter want to stay at her grandparents. this is totally out of character for me and i am worried.

please can anyone give me some advice, i've never felt so low
    Lese

the asymetrical headache that you mention, i.e only in the right-hand half of your skull, says "shingles" to me;as with other herpes-virus affections, it does come to the surface and produce symptoms when you are run down, either psychologically or physically, which sounds like it could be your case (tonsillitis/pharyngitis? in the last few weeks). Your description of the pain ("in my face, and especially behind the eyes") also fits in with my experience of Shingles (zona). I would strongly advise seeking medical attention!
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

wouldnt shingles show up on the body though?
      i have no markings whatsoever, the gp is testing for glandular fever but also doubts this too
      Lese

Comment

not necessarily; sometimes you only get the nevralgia, and it never gets to the "blister" stage. sometimes the zona vesicles go unnoticed because they are on the scalp, hidden it the hair.
        The asymetrical location of your pain is what appears to me to be significant, but I'm only a mere pharmacist, I'm not allowed to diagnose, only to "respond to symptoms"...
        Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Tonsills?

Lese

I used to get a lot of tonsillitis when I was around the age of 30 and it made me feel awful. A lot of the symptoms you describe were just like the ones I used to get. The ulcers in the mouth, bad breath, pains in the head and face, loss of appetite etc all came when I used to get a bad case of it. The usual anti-biotic is penicillin V four times a day (500mg if a bad case). What dose did the GP give you? Did you take it on an empty stomach and finish the course? Have you got a high temperature?

I opted to have them removed. At that time they removed them if you got more then four doses a year. It was the best decision I ever made.

Obviously you need the result of the swab/blood test for a diagnosis, and decisions can be made after then. As Zoogite correctly points out it could be shingles, it could also be for example the Epstein-Barr virus, which is the cause of glandular fever (infectious mononucleosis). In the mean time try to eat, even if only a little, as you need food to fight infections off. If you can't stomach food try a drink like Build Up, or ask the Dr to prescrible you some food replacements. At least try to drink plenty of liquids. Understandably a sore throat can discourage swallowing but in tonsillitis it is common to lose a lot of body fluid through fever and mouth breathing. Dehydration adds considerably to feeling unwell.

Feeling grumpy and generally tired go hand in hand with being unwell, and I am sure your family members will understand! In the mean time try not to worry, get plenty of rest, and keep warm.

Please let us know how you are doing.

Get well soon.
          Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
          Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

the dosage was one tablet two times a day i think 350mg, which i did take on an empty stomach and yes i did complete the dosage.
            i keep having times when i feel well and normal like yesterday i was alert and wide awake, then today i feel much worse, i slept the whole morning and the headaches are still there.
            i went back to do my blood tests this morning and my swab tests came back negative.i'm worried about the swab tests being negative as i was hoping to get a diagnosis.
            Lese

Comment

Lese

I think you got dose of pen V mixed up. The tablets are 250mg and it's taken four times a day.

So what is the GP going to do next?

Please keep well and let us know how you are doing!
              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

you were right about the penicillin v, that was the first one i took i was getting mixed up with the names. i found the box for the second antibiotic, it was called ceflaclor m/r 375mg and that one had to be taken one tablet twice a day.
                i am going back to see my gp on thursday afternoon where i should have my blood test results back, but i don't know what he will do next.
                my mother said i suffered with tonsilitis as a child and almost had them out at 9yrs old , but i can't remember and the gp doesn't think it's that.
                having this week off has helped, just being able to sleep when i need it, my partner came back so that eased some tension, luckily i work in a school , so after this week it's closed then for two more weeks for easter so that should give me time to build bridges with my daughter and get some rest
                Lese

Comment

Lese

It sounds like you are a litte bit better?

The rest will help, have you managed to get any food down yet|?

Keep in touch!

Get well soon

Comment

tried to eat on monday lunchtime, but it's so difficult when you don't feel like eating. i keep getting a bitter taste in my mouth too which is a little off putting
                    Lese

Comment

Lese

If you get some liquid food down you you'd feel a lot better.

Comment

thanks i will try to make myself eat, i lost eight pounds over this last week which isnt good.
                        my blood test results were inconclusive, one said no glandular fever and the other said abnormal so i have to do them again tomorrow.
                        my gp is 99% certain now that this is glandular fever though i'm not sure.
                        Lese

Comment

Lese

You will feel better if you can eat a bit. I think the GP is right, it would explain the throat, head pains and the length of time you have been ill.

Please keep in touch

Get well soon

Comment

thanks again, but just one more question.
                            what does the term "low white blood count" mean in regards to my blood test?
                            Lese

Comment

Low White Blood Cell Count

Lese

White blood cells play an important role in the immune system of an person. The white blood cell count is performed routinely as part of a complete blood count. A low white blood cell count can be the result of infection, make an individual more susceptible to outside infections or allow multiplication of organisms within the body which would normally kept in check by a healthy immune system.

In a differential blood count (Diff), the numbers of different types of white blood cell are measured.

There are 5 different types of white blood cell:

Neutrophils
                              Lymphocytes
                              Monocytes
                              Eosinophils
                              Basophils

The individual results of the counts of these white cells can aid the diagnosis of illness. My guess is you have an infection, which is why you have a low white cell count. Your Dr may do some other tests to aid his diagnosis.

All you can do for yourself is rest, try to eat and drink, and don't worry. If it is glandular fever it often starts with a few days of mild symptoms, including headache, and tiredness. The major symptoms then develop, and may last seven to twenty one days. They vary in how badly they affect you, but usually include a fever, sore throat, and tiredness, along with aches and pains all over the body.

This phase of the illness may last a few days to a few weeks. It is accompanied by tender enlargement of the glands (the lymph glands or lymph nodes) which are around the body to help defend against infection.

A small number of people (about one in ten) develop a faint red rash on the trunk and limbs. Sometimes the liver may become inflamed (hepatitis), even to the extent of making you go yellow (jaundiced).

After the worst of the initial symptoms have passed, most people continue to feel tired all the time, and easily exhausted. This is frequently accompanied by depression.

After a period of weeks or months, most people return to normal. As for treatment, there is no specific treatment for glandular fever. Antibiotics are not helpful, as this is a virus infection. In fact there is one antibiotic, ampicillin, which is more likely to cause a rash if given to people with glandular fever.

You can treat the symptoms of fever and pain with pain killers (analgesics) such as paracetamol or non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen or aspirin (16+ only). You will probably need more rest and sleep than usual for a prolonged period.

Please try to drink plenty of liquids, even if you are off your food.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                              X