Australia/New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia/New Zealand

I found this letter on the internet. The person who wrote it put a silly e-mail address so it wasn't possible to answer him. What do others think of this situation?

So England is closing the doors to overseas pharmacists, followed closely by
    Ireland, presumably under pressure from the EU. This includes pharmacists
    from Australia and New Zealand, 2 English speaking countries, which are even
    members of the Commonwealth. This has been a great source of overseas
    experience for New Zealand pharmacists, who are, by world standards,
    extremely well qualified, having completed a 4 year Bachelor of Pharmacy
    (BPharm) degree, followed by 1 year internship prior to registration. Now
    if a NZ qualified pharmacist wishes to register in the UK, they need to do
    ANOTHER 2 years study in the UK. What a joke. What is the UK going to do
    when they don't have enough pharmacists? Thats happening now, going by the
    recruitment ads in the journals and newspapers here. So much for the
    Commonwealth. But then that little arrangement was effectively finished when
    you stopped buing our lamb. We might as well tell your queen to go jump and
    stick her commonwealth up her poncy bum. Time to become a republic.

--
    Tony
    Ok so he's getting a bit political, but is it really necessary for an Australian or New Zealand pharmacist to train for an extra two years to work here? I have worked with a lot of pharmacists from this part of the world, and they all seemed qualified enough to me.
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Reciprocal Registration

As stated on another part of the site.
    Removal of reciprocal registration for Aus/NZ pharmacists is complete madness. A former secretary of the society was from NZ. Do we rtreat Aus/NZ doctors and nurses like this.

It seems that hte RPSGB is afraid of any kind of litigation from the EU by giving more favourable registration terms to commonwealth countries. I wonder if France does the same with it's former colonies?

I'm happy to be in Europe, but it doesn't mean that we have to wipe out everything that has gone before.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I also agree that the removal of reciprocity agreements with Australia & NZ was total and utter madness; but it's not just Britain and the Commonwealth: many other european countries had similar arrangements with former colonies, eg Belgium and Zairean/congolese pharmacists, France and Senegalese Phcists, etc...
      I think 2 extra years' training and an exam on top of that is a ridiculous requirement; it's hard enough having to familiarise oneself with a whole new country and its healthcare structures, regulations & laws, not to mention the language sometimes; just imagine if you were to go and live & work in, say, Poland or Portugal next month: what do their scripts look like? what are the VAT rates for medicines? Just converting everything to Euros is tough- I've been living in the UK for over 7 years now, and I still find myself working out prices in Belgian Francs to judge whether something is cheap or expensive!
      Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Dear Zoggite-
        ......Don't take this the wrong way you need to get a life and stop stressing yourself over prices I used to do that after a trip to the US of A so I do understand ;but after 7years...you should have been an accountant
        Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Originally posted by kemzero
          Dear Zoggite-
          ......Don't take this the wrong way you need to get a life and stop stressing yourself over prices I used to do that after a trip to the US of A so I do understand ;but after 7years...you should have been an accountant
          Kemzero - our Zo is a very analytical type of person. I get the feeling she likes things just right - if you know what I mean!

I'd trust her to do my own accounts!

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

I'm not "stressing myself" over prices, it's just that I still haven't acquired that instinctive feel of "cheap" or "expensive" at a glance of a price;for instance, if I were to tell you that I bought a 3-bed Semi for £60k last month, you'd instantly say that that was a good deal; but if I said I'd bought it for 3.6 million francs, or 90,000 Euros, you'd have to do a bit of mental arithmetic first to work out whether it was a good deal or not. Well it's the same every day: £1.20 for a cup of coffee, is that OK or am I being ripped off? Let's see, that's roughly 80 francs, so no, that's pretty much the going rate in a café...
            A pair of shoes, £50: Hmmm, that's 3000 francs, not cheap, but still OK if I really like them... Do you see what I'm getting at? it's that instant gut-reaction that I still need to develop... Or at least that's what my analyst tells me!
            Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite
              I'm not "stressing myself" over prices, it's just that I still haven't acquired that instinctive feel of "cheap" or "expensive" at a glance of a price;for instance, if I were to tell you that I bought a 3-bed Semi for £60k last month, you'd instantly say that that was a good deal; but if I said I'd bought it for 3.6 million francs, or 90,000 Euros, you'd have to do a bit of mental arithmetic first to work out whether it was a good deal or not. Well it's the same every day: £1.20 for a cup of coffee, is that OK or am I being ripped off? Let's see, that's roughly 80 francs, so no, that's pretty much the going rate in a café...
              A pair of shoes, £50: Hmmm, that's 3000 francs, not cheap, but still OK if I really like them... Do you see what I'm getting at? it's that instant gut-reaction that I still need to develop... Or at least that's what my analyst tells me!
              I totally understand you Zo. It's the same as when you go on holiday, and bag a bargain that wasn't a bargain when you work out the true cost!

What do you need an analyst for? Or is that a joke.............

Comment

Great a like mind

Originally posted by Zoggite
                ... Do you see what I'm getting at? it's that instant gut-reaction that I still need to develop...
                Phew - I have only been here 2 years - from NZ, and I still have no idea if something is cheap or not, so I am constanly multipyling by 3. But then I dont buy anything as it is all a rip off! AAARRRGhhh - good for saving though

Comment

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone is/has going/gone through the registration process via the reciprocal agreements with OZ/NZ ???

I am currently looking into this and trying to beat the 1st December deadline for applicants from the UK, so any shared experiences and suggestions would be most helpful and appreciated!

Comment

Re: Australia/New Zealand

All this eec reciprocity (is that spelt ok) is one way.
                    I have emailed the german equivalent of the rpsgp and other agencies in german to see what one has to do to work in germany. i know my german is rubbish but i have not even had a reply---i dont think they want anyone from gb.
                    SMITHY

Comment

Originally posted by john paul smith View Post
                      All this eec reciprocity (is that spelt ok) is one way.
                      I have emailed the german equivalent of the rpsgp and other agencies in german to see what one has to do to work in germany. i know my german is rubbish but i have not even had a reply---i dont think they want anyone from gb.
                      It is madness.
                      I'm not sure why the RPSGB has been so draconian - they need not have been.
                      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                        It is madness.
                        I'm not sure why the RPSGB has been so draconian - they need not have been.
                        Because they were f****** idiots?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
                          Because they were f****** idiots?
                          Probably they had to do something to put up a barrier for non-EU pharmacists, but why make it so stringent. A letter of good standing from the registration body, a period of supervised practice with a forensic exam would have been enough. Instead look what they have done.
                          How times change.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                            Instead look what they have done.
                            Exactly!!!
                            As a Kiwi pharmacist working over here, I would not encourage any of my fellow Antipodeans to come over here to go through the rigormorale of becoming registered now. They would be treated so much better in NZ/OZ than here, by the respective Societies and get more respect from the public.
                            What gets me is how someone who speaks English as a second language and a very heavy foreign accent is understood my the majority of their customers. A lot of my customers ask me to repeat things as they are not used to a NZ accent - so how do the old dears cope with Polish/Spanish... And then all the slang phrases that are used... I just dont understand why communication skills are not made an issue of for foreign pharmacists.
                            Or is that more racist than renegging on a reciprocal agreeement of long standing???

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                              Exactly!!!
                              As a Kiwi pharmacist working over here, I would not encourage any of my fellow Antipodeans to come over here to go through the rigormorale of becoming registered now. They would be treated so much better in NZ/OZ than here, by the respective Societies and get more respect from the public.
                              What gets me is how someone who speaks English as a second language and a very heavy foreign accent is understood my the majority of their customers. A lot of my customers ask me to repeat things as they are not used to a NZ accent - so how do the old dears cope with Polish/Spanish... And then all the slang phrases that are used... I just dont understand why communication skills are not made an issue of for foreign pharmacists.
                              Or is that more racist than renegging on a reciprocal agreeement of long standing???
                              What has been done can always be undone - it only takes a groundswell of opinion in the profession. The problem is getting us as pharmacists to complain about anything as we always value the opposing view as much as we do our own.

Back to communications and accents - it isn't the accent that's the problem it is how fast people speak with the accent. We should slow down the pace of speech a bit and try not to run words together, this gives the other person time to tune in and process. Note, I'm not saying that we should adopt the old "English Abroad" trick and shout things slowly.

...OK get back to work pharmanaut.
                              How times change.

Comment

Working...
                              X