RPSGB future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPSGB future

As I have been reading many posts, I've came across comments about "restructuring of the pharmacy society" and the future of RPSGB. Could someone clarify this for me as I am an outsider looking in (from the U.S.). We are considering relocating there, but don't want to make any premature moves if the "society" is changing and rules/regs could change. Does anyone think this could impact pharmacists who want to gain access to the register???

thanks for any input

Re: RPSGB future

Suspicion amongst rank and file pharmacists is that this is all a ploy by govnmt and multiples to combat the 'shortage' of pharmacists willing to work in retail, and keep down costs.

Remember, in the USA the customer pays a dispensing fee which used to be 3usd, but now believe is 5usd per item. In the Uk this used to be 94pence per item but believe is now lower and is paid by the govnmt. Ie your pts pay the bill, but here it is the govnmt. This reflects on salaries.

Medicines are supposed to be charged at 'cost', and in the UK these prices are listed in the Drug Tariff. However, the multiples can usually buy at substantial discounts and this is where they make their money. Hence the pressure to raise script counts by any means.

The society has always regulated and also supposed to represent pharmacists, but has failed miserably with the latter. Hence, the rise of the PDA. The NPA is an employers organisation which tries to pretend it represents pharmacists, and indeed it did when most were independents.

However, many problems between pharmacists and their employers and here the NPA stands on the side of the employer. Currently, the NPA and other bodies supposedly negotiating on behalf of pharmacists are actually negotiating for employers (contractors).

The govnmt has now decided to take on all regulatory powers on itself following a series of scandals where Drs were leniently treated by the GMC.

All is in the melting pot now. All I know is that every time the govnmt sets up a committe to decide our future, we(locums and employees) are excluded.

johnep

Comment

Originally posted by pharout View Post
      As I have been reading many posts, I've came across comments about "restructuring of the pharmacy society" and the future of RPSGB. Could someone clarify this for me as I am an outsider looking in (from the U.S.). We are considering relocating there, but don't want to make any premature moves if the "society" is changing and rules/regs could change. Does anyone think this could impact pharmacists who want to gain access to the register???

thanks for any input
      We have one body the - RPSGB -that is supposed to both represent and regulate the "profession".

It has over time failed miserably at both - in part because it is impossible to do both - and the Government has decided that it is to be divided in two.
      A regulatory body and a representative body.

I don't think that changes in gaining access to the register will be one of the priorities of the new body - if only because they'll have a whole load of other stuff to worry about. It's anybodies guess what the RPSGB will do in it's death throes.

Jeff

Comment

Thanks for clarifying this, that was helpful.

Comment

sorry I am trying to work out what the complicate answers mean as I am a first year student. Will we be getting a new body or not?
          3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

DonĀ“t worry your head about it. should all be over by time you qualify.
            johnep

Comment

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
              sorry I am trying to work out what the complicate answers mean as I am a first year student. Will we be getting a new body or not?
              At least three new bodies.
              One to regulate the profession - which you are stuck with.
              One to represent pharmacy (the profession) which I understand will be voluntary and probably ignored by pharmacists
              The PDA union (very nearly here) which will represent pharmacists.

There's is also the English Pharmacy Board - I've no idea if it has a future or not - maybe Linnear can tell us.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                At least three new bodies.
                One to regulate the profession - which you are stuck with.
                One to represent pharmacy (the profession) which I understand will be voluntary and probably ignored by pharmacists
                The PDA union (very nearly here) which will represent pharmacists.

There's is also the English Pharmacy Board - I've no idea if it has a future or not - maybe Linnear can tell us.

Jeff
                Jeff,
                Can you elaborate on the PDA union's role and how this will benefit pharmacists?
                thanks....

Comment

THe PDA came out of an insurance co which itself came out of a locum agency founded by Mark Koziol. I suspect he found that some of his locums were being badly treated by employers and also hung out to dry after an error when they had wrongly assumed that the NPA insurance which covered their employer also covered them even if in dispute with their employer.

A large part of of pda caseload has been in disputes between the individual pharmacist and the employer.

Unfortunately, the govnmt only recognises the multiples as someone to negotiate with and the individual pharmacist is ignored. Thus contracts are all to the multiples advantage. eg. absence from pharmacy, new contract services etc.
                  johnep

Comment

Originally posted by pharout View Post
                    Jeff,
                    Can you elaborate on the PDA union's role and how this will benefit pharmacists?
                    thanks....
                    Allows them the right to represent employee pharmacists at meetings with the employer.
                    It gives meaning to their claim to be body representing "pharmacists" as they will have elections.

Jeff

Comment

we're hoping the EPB will have a future as we believe that the pharmacy profession will still have to cope with devolution so it would make sense to still have English, Scottish and Welsh boards.

Anyone who wants their say in the new bodies go to:

The Clarke Inquiry

and send in your response.
                      Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
                      pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                      eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Working...
                      X