Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-registration

Hi,

I wondered if this was the right place to come for advice. Any help would be appreciated.

I completed my MPHARM degree however I never did my pre-registration. The 8 years have now expired but I would like to look into becoming a pharmacist again. Does anyone know how I would go about this? If I would have to do the whole 4 year degree again or if I'm even allowed

You will have to ask GpHC this - It has gone over 8 years - depends what the circumstance was etc etc will be hard for anyone to advice. Best thing is to get in contact with GpHC

Comment

Originally posted by ookoro View Post
      Hi,

I wondered if this was the right place to come for advice. Any help would be appreciated.

I completed my MPHARM degree however I never did my pre-registration. The 8 years have now expired but I would like to look into becoming a pharmacist again. Does anyone know how I would go about this? If I would have to do the whole 4 year degree again or if I'm even allowed
      You inform the GPhC and tell them of any reasons why you did not do the pre-registration training. Good luck

Comment

Hello, does anyone have experience of leaving Pharmacy as an ACT to concentrate on different role and then trying to reregister? that is exactly what i am trying to do and is proving a pain! i have to complete portfolio of competencies and am told the GPHC may or may not accept me back on register.What potential problems might i face?

Comment

Originally posted by beetlejuice View Post
          Hello, does anyone have experience of leaving Pharmacy as an ACT to concentrate on different role and then trying to reregister? that is exactly what i am trying to do and is proving a pain! i have to complete portfolio of competencies and am told the GPHC may or may not accept me back on register.What potential problems might i face?
          I'm thinking...
          "Why would anyone want to come back into community pharmacy?"
          If you have been out for a while - things haven't got better.
          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Hi Pharmanaut, there was no mention of community pharmacy, purely hospital based

Comment

Originally posted by beetlejuice View Post
              This link sort of mentions the process but I guess that you have already viewed it due to your mention of portfolio of competencies.

https://www.pharmacyregulation.org/s...May%202013.pdf

My interpretation would be that you must show that you have the normal qualifications required to register as a tech ie NVQ3 plus related practical experience.

After that it it depends on how long you have been off the register and what you have been doing in the meantime. Less than a year off the register then there is no problem. Just pay your registration fee and the job is done.

Over a year and it’s more complicated. Bear in mind that if you didn’t come off the register officially then your time off the register doesn’t won’t count until you actually stopped being registered - in this case presumably you stopped paying registration fees. But that might make your official time off less than a year. Again you should b be able to simply pay your fee and go back on the register.

As a former physiotherapist I’ve been looking at what I would need to do in order to go back on the register. It’s generally about thirty hours of cpd and thirty hours of practical experience. The range of physio is quite wide so they don’t actually specify exactly what courses you should take, just that they should be relevant to your sphere of practical work.

if the same applies to pharmacy then it would be worth looking at relevant cpd for where you work, catching up on stuff such as information governance, manual handling and hand washing! The things that you normally do every year in hospital. Once you are in post then you need to do your dispensing log to confirm you are competent to dispense, and a checking log to prove your competence as an act.

The only problem that I can see in the process would be getting a job as all offers depend on you being registered, and it is checked!

Comment

Hi,Sparky bw. Thanks for your opinion and i think you are absolutely correct.The role i am doing now has meant retraining in a different area but still healthcare sector, so the competency portfolio shouldn't be a problem.I haven't lost any skills or knowledge since being away from pharmacy, infact i have gained.I will have to re register to apply for jobs, so i need to get on with it.Certainly in my previous hospital role, staff returning after maternity leave or long term sickness, had to complete checking log,so this is expected.It just seems like a long road at the moment and feel GPHC aren't offering any support.

Comment

Working...
                X