Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working as a Pharmacist in the Channel Islands

Hello

I wondered if any pharmacists currently working in Jersey or any of the Channel Islands could advise me of what work is currently like over there. I'm thinking of applying for a relief job and although I've visited many times on holiday I'm lucky enough not to have used it. I understand it currently runs like a private service? Is this correct? I notice that patients pay to see a Dr and for certain treatments to be done. Does this alter what services you provide in store as I'm not familiar with the English contract either? Pharmacies always seem really quiet and I'd just like to get an overall view of what services are done and what the work enviorment is like in general, coming from a busy Scottish shop might be a shock! Many thanks!

It’s quite a few years since I worked in the Channel Islands, but then everything was very similar to England, apart from no-one worrying about waiting. Someone going to work there has to register with the local authorities, though, which takes a couple of weeks (or did then) and incurred a small cost. I suspect, but don’t know, that if you are registered in Jersey you’d have to re-register with the Guernsey authorites to work there or Alderney. Legally, Jersey is one ‘country’, Guernsey and the other islands another.

Comment

Ah Miall, so thats how you knew about Michael Haynes.
      johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
        Ah Miall, so thats how you knew about Michael Haynes.
        johnep
        No, knew Mike at Sunderland. He married a friend of my wife’s, too, so we kept in touch. Spasmodically.

Comment

Working...
        X