Water, water everywhere !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water, water everywhere !!!!

My town is virtually under water! Anyone else suffering from excessive rain?
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Re: Water, water everywhere !!!!

We were ok this side of the pennines. My mate did send me a picture of his sheffiled city centre pharmacy though. There was five feet of water in his shop!
    Unbelievable. Global warming!?
    _____

Comment

Originally posted by richtagg View Post
      We were ok this side of the pennines. My mate did send me a picture of his sheffiled city centre pharmacy though. There was five feet of water in his shop!
      Unbelievable. Global warming!?
      Sheffield has been hit really badly according to local news, and they say Hull has 96% of the houses built below sea level. I never knew that, and to say we are on the edge of the river Humber, and Hull is scarey as the Humber is massive.

It's been a nightmare here, and one poor guy even died. My sisters house missed being flooded by literally 1", but my mums has about 8" of water downstairs, and she's in Italy on holiday at the moment. I'ts going to break her heart when she sees her house, so we're all just doing our best to help each other out.

It was nice to see a real community spirit here though, and about 20 people down my road all worked for hours and managed to stop two houses flooding. I can't say the smell of us afterwards was pleasant though, after being stood in dirty water all day. We both had to take our clothes off in the hallway, stick them in a black sack, run upstairs and get a very quick shower (minimal water!) and wash the clothes the next day when it had gone down. I just hope the neighbours weren't watching!

I have to admit I nearly lost my temper, when a guy from the 2nd Cul De Sac (it's kind of horseshoe shaped where I live) that was dry, came around and laughed. He was about one second from getting a bucket full of the mucky water right in his face!

We had one full months worth of rain in 24 hours, and the drains were just all full to the top. They weren't just full, they were pouring out water and adding to the problem. We managed to dig a channel for our next door neighbour, and that enabled the water to pour over his lawn and into the back field which is a couple of feet lower then the houses. Our house is slightly higher then his, so by doing that we also saved ourselves being flooded.

I don't honestly think it's anyone's fault, and don't know if it's global warming or just bad luck. I do think if the polar icecaps melt we'll all have to move abroad!

Five feet of water in the shop is unreal - frightening! It's warmed up here now, and I don't even want to think how much bacteria is about. There are still roads flooded too deep for cars to go down, and they say on TV that more rain is forecast for the weekend. The ground is so saturated that I don't think it would take much rain to start it all off again.

Were you ok - did your house get flooded? I'm so glad mine's ok.

In some parts people's ponds had burst and Koi carp were swimming down the street! Someone told me one guy was chasing one telling the local kids he'd give a tenner to whoever caught it as he'd paid £600 for it!
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Feel guilty here in the Fens which missed the rains. We are supposed to be the area that floods. When I lived in Dunstable, we were 900' up so no risk there. When looking for a place to retire, considered a stream side cottage in devon but decided against on grounds of possible flood, I still remember Lynton/Lynmouth floods.

Looking in East Anglia, flooding was conatantly on our minds which is why we live in Ely which was an island pre drainage. we are at a high point in Ely so a bit nervous when thunder about.
        johnep

Comment

John

Don't feel guilty, just feel lucky.

I've put three photos on, from when me and my husband went on a cat rescue mission!
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X