Artificial Hips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artificial Hips

Has anyone on here had a re-fit of an artificial hip done? I mean a 2nd or even 3rd one. It would probably be an older member of the forum, but a few younger people have them done now (I was 21).

I went to see my consultant last week, and although it's fine at the moment, one day in the not too near future I'm going to need another as I've had this creaky old thing 22 years in August. The record is about 30 years so I'm hoping to break that!

This time he said I'll need: -

My hip socket moving to a different bit of my pelvis, where the bone is denser (just a bit lower basically)

My femer cut in half to let him get the old one out - ouch!

A bone graft to keep it all strong - not sure where the bone's coming from!

I came away thinking bloody hell! Has anyone else had or worked in a hospital ward where people have refits like this done? He said the failure rate was only 1 or 2% but I don't know how the new ones compare to the older cement ones like the one I have. I could have it done now, or wait until it hurts so much my hand is forced to go ahead. There are new developments all the time in this type of thing, so I'm thinking it's better to wait, but if the new ones are fantastic (and pain free) I would opt for it now.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of thing?
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Re: Artificial Hips

are you sure thats the procedure my sons mate who is an orthopod has just spent a couple of years in canada doing hip joint repairs and i thought they could resurface the bits ect it was a more technical procedure than just knocking a nail in for the first one ------------ can find out if you want
    SMITHY

Comment

Re: Artificial Hips

Originally posted by john paul smith View Post
      are you sure thats the procedure my sons mate who is an orthopod has just spent a couple of years in canada doing hip joint repairs and i thought they could resurface the bits ect it was a more technical procedure than just knocking a nail in for the first one ------------ can find out if you want
      The problem is I have no bits to resurface! I had the end of my femer cut away and a cemented one put in it's place. I was born with a dislocated hip, so aren't a usual case - typical of me!

I'd appreciate if he had any info on refits for people born with CDH.
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Working...
      X