Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Help Needed!

Hi

So I have had about 6 guitar lessons, and am hooked. I love it.

My birthday is in July, so I'm going to have to start dropping hints to my hubby about now if I want to get what I want!

My teacher is a brilliant player, and loves strats. The question is which are best? I like the Gibson style, but he says you can't beat strats.

Anyone have any experience on the two?

Thanks
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Re: Guitar Help Needed!

Originally posted by admin View Post
    Hi

So I have had about 6 guitar lessons, and am hooked. I love it.

My birthday is in July, so I'm going to have to start dropping hints to my hubby about now if I want to get what I want!

My teacher is a brilliant player, and loves strats. The question is which are best? I like the Gibson style, but he says you can't beat strats.

Anyone have any experience on the two?

Thanks
    At the end of the day - your choice.
    Have spent many a happy our with our Chris in guitar shops - usually they leave you alone while you try as many as you like.

Glad you found a tutor.

My daughter has just given up the electric bass, so there's a temptation for me to have a go.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
      At the end of the day - your choice.
      Have spent many a happy our with our Chris in guitar shops - usually they leave you alone while you try as many as you like.

Glad you found a tutor.

My daughter has just given up the electric bass, so there's a temptation for me to have a go.
      One of my neighbours plays the drums - maybe we could get a group going.......

I guess I'll have to go to a shop and try them out!

Thanks
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Glad you do not live next door to me. We suffered from a drummer who lived at the house next door.
        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
          Glad you do not live next door to me. We suffered from a drummer who lived at the house next door.
          johnep
          He lives a couple of houses away and only plays during the day, so it's no problem, I'm glad to say.

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
            johnep
            When your working life is being nice to people - coming home and making other people suffer is a reat release ;-)

Jeff

Comment

Possible new guitar gear????

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
              When your working life is being nice to people - coming home and making other people suffer is a reat release ;-)

Jeff
              That's very true oh mighty drummer Jeff, and that's why I am upgrading my kit! I want a better 2nd guitar (as my husband won't keep off mine), and a better amp, so I don't have to crank it up to full to get some real sound. I know it's early days in my playing (6 lessons) but I've got the bug and I love it. I did some work for my sisters company and the money she paid me bought my first guitar and amp, and I know I'll stick with this hobby for a long time to come.

I was thinking of starting off by buying this amp (maybe a birthday pressie). It has two channels, so I presume you can plug two guitars into it??? It also has 50W and a foot pedal. What do you think to it - is it any good?

Marshall MG50DFX Guitar Amps

Thanks

Comment

Re: Possible new guitar gear????

good luck with this... i was trying to learn but it was too difficult for me to learn these. i guess piano is for me!

Comment

Re: Possible new guitar gear????

Originally posted by farmer View Post
                  good luck with this... i was trying to learn but it was too difficult for me to learn these. i guess piano is for me!
                  Thanks - I'm loving it !

Comment

just started having lessons myself after about 30 years of "pratting about"
                    strats are easier to play and dont need so much effort to press strings etc,
                    but if you then go to an accoustic you have not got strength enough in fingers (i found) for playing long periods. why dont you do a few days extra work and get one of each type?? you only here once
                    SMITHY

Comment

Originally posted by john paul smith View Post
                      just started having lessons myself after about 30 years of "pratting about"
                      strats are easier to play and dont need so much effort to press strings etc,
                      but if you then go to an accoustic you have not got strength enough in fingers (i found) for playing long periods. why dont you do a few days extra work and get one of each type?? you only here once
                      I've opted for a SG as I'm not that keen on strats. I don't really know why, I just prefer the Gibson styles. I'm still loving it, and find I'm getting a bit better every week. Here's my new guitar!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X