Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid Life Crisis?

Hi

Is anyone else having a mid life crisis like me? I haven't been on the forum much, because yesterday I went and bought an electric guitar, and have been practicing "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple all night!

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Errrmmm...
    Nope, you're on your own there, lass!!
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Jeff's Mid Life Crisis!

It looks like Jeff is having a much bigger one then me!

I have to admit it Jeff, I'd love a go on that lot. It does look impressive!

Attached Files
      Last edited by admin; 6, March 2007, 11:57 PM.
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Personally, I pity BOTH your neighbours!
        Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Guitar Lessons ?

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
          Personally, I pity BOTH your neighbours!
          I can use headphones on my guitar! In fact, if I didn't I think I'd be divorced by now!

If I could ask Jeff, do you think I should take lessons from the start (avoid bad habits?) or teach myself the basics, and then go for lessons?

I have been practicing so much, my fingers feel like they are bleeding! When does the pain stop???????

So far, I have just about mastered 8 to 10 chords (including one barre cord - hurts!), one pentatonic scale (starts 5th fret, E string), can play the intro for smoke on the water, James Bond and a few other simple tunes. I can strum the cords (all 3 of em) while Paddy sings Fade Away by the stones!

I can hear you giggling there Jeff, but for my first week I'm happy!

So does anyone have experience of guitar lessons, and if so, what should I be looking for in, or asking, a possible teacher?

Comment

Re: Guitar Lessons ?

Originally posted by admin View Post
            I can use headphones on my guitar! In fact, if I didn't I think I'd be divorced by now!
            Headphones on the Roland electric drums - but it still taps.

If I could ask Jeff, do you think I should take lessons from the start (avoid bad habits?) or teach myself the basics, and then go for lessons?
            Lessons - then practice

I have been practicing so much, my fingers feel like they are bleeding! When does the pain stop???????
            When you've practiced enough and have leather fingers.

So does anyone have experience of guitar lessons, and if so, what should I be looking for in, or asking, a possible teacher?

The Yamaha schools are good - but like pharmacy - a good independant can be better. Someone who was in a group that never quite made it - but appeared on the bill with the bigger names.

Good luck

Jeff

Comment

Guitar Teacher - Which one?

Jeff

Thanks! I have found a guy on the net not far from where I live. He charges £10 per 40 mins. The strange thing is, he has the same name as a local GP and I'm wondering if it's him (look at his A level results)!

Music Teachers UK - Mr Rakeeb Chowdhury

There's another guy in the Yellow Pages and he does then in the day, so I could do them on my days off.

His ad says beginners are welcome, and he's in an Eagles tribute band. His site is basic though.

welcome

There is a Yamaha school in my town, but it only says about group lessons on the web site. I think I'd rather go it alone.

If I ring these guys, what should I ask them? Should I ask a local music shop for a recommendation?

Thanks
              Last edited by admin; 7, March 2007, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Re: Guitar Lessons ?

So far, I have just about mastered 8 to 10 chords (including one barre cord - hurts!), one pentatonic scale (starts 5th fret, E string), can play the intro for smoke on the water, James Bond and a few other simple tunes. I can strum the cords (all 3 of em) while Paddy sings Fade Away by the stones!

I can hear you giggling there Jeff, but for my first week I'm happy!

My son has a chap for guitar lessons.
                This tutor performs solo, and in a band and also plays different styles.
                He comes to the house and charges £15 per hour.

Get a Zoom 505 pedal and you can have real fun.

Next you will be buying Taylor or Martin and drooling over strats.
                47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Mid Life Crisis II

...happening to me at the moment as well.
                  First manifesting itself by my legendary patience with people wearing thin. Also not as willing to carry others along. Have not the patience to watch a TV program, and moving back to listen to the radio, especially BBC R2 and R4.

It has positive benefits as well though.
                  Feel less stressed, especially when driving.
                  While still sounding friendly I'm more assertive and less willing to be pushed around.
                  Finding that the simplest things give the greatest pleasure.

Probably end up reading books on philosophy or other stuff.
                  How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Re: Mid Life Crisis II

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                    ...happening to me at the moment as well.
                    First manifesting itself by my legendary patience with people wearing thin. Also not as willing to carry others along. Have not the patience to watch a TV program, and moving back to listen to the radio, especially BBC R2 and R4.

It has positive benefits as well though.
                    Feel less stressed, especially when driving.
                    While still sounding friendly I'm more assertive and less willing to be pushed around.
                    Finding that the simplest things give the greatest pleasure.

Probably end up reading books on philosophy or other stuff.
                    You sound like you're turning into one of those grumpy old men off the telly!

Get yourself a guitar, bang the amp on full, and let rip my friend!

Comment

Re: Mid Life Crisis II

You sound like you're turning into one of those grumpy old men off the telly!

Get yourself a guitar, bang the amp on full, and let rip my friend!

Don't need to buy one there are 6 in the house!

Prefer to relax by putting on my black neoprene suit, hood, gloves, boots and harnesses.

...and the other essentials for ... scuba diving.
                      How times change.

Comment

Guitar

By the way, if you want to hear the fender strat really being played, try Bridge of Sighs or Daydream by Robin Trower.
                        How times change.

Comment

Guitars

Pharmanaut

Could you do me a favour and have a look at the two sites I linked in my previous post about guitar teachers, and give me your opinion on which looks the best? Or tell me what to look for in a good teacher?

Prefer to relax by putting on my black neoprene suit, hood, gloves, boots and harnesses.
                          Got me going there - thought I was going to have to hit the delete button when I started reading this...................

Six guitars hey - wow - send me a file of you playing! Maybe a photo? Or are they all your sons?

Next you will be buying Taylor or Martin and drooling over strats.
                          I like the Gibson style, but I'll wait to get a better guitar when I have learned a bit first!

By the way, if you want to hear the fender strat really being played, try Bridge of Sighs or Daydream by Robin Trower.
                          Thanks - I'll get it from the net and give it a listen. I love the Rolling stones guitar work myself.
                          On the positive side, my fingers aren't hurting much any more!

Last edited by admin; 10, March 2007, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Re: Guitars

Pharmanaut

Could you do me a favour and have a look at the two sites I linked in my previous post about guitar teachers, and give me your opinion on which looks the best? Or tell me what to look for in a good teacher?

Got me going there - thought I was going to have to hit the delete button when I started reading this...................

Six guitars hey - wow - send me a file of you playing! Maybe a photo? Or are they all your sons?

I like the Gibson style, but I'll wait to get a better guitar when I have learned a bit first!

Thanks - I'll get it from the net and give it a listen. I love the Rolling stones guitar work myself.
                            On the positive side, my fingers aren't hurting much any more!

All guitars are my sons I'm afraid, musical talent skipped a generation. There are performers on both sides of our family, but neither me or Mrs Pharmanaut have any.

I once heard somewhere that people but 'superglue' on their fingers and let it dry.

The Stones are OK - I like the way their stuff just sounds as if it has been thrown together at the last minute.
                            How times change.

Comment

Re: Guitar Teacher - Which one?

Jeff

Thanks! I have found a guy on the net not far from where I live. He charges £10 per 40 mins. The strange thing is, he has the same name as a local GP and I'm wondering if it's him (look at his A level results)!

Music Teachers UK - Mr Rakeeb Chowdhury

There's another guy in the Yellow Pages and he does then in the day, so I could do them on my days off.

His ad says beginners are welcome, and he's in an Eagles tribute band. His site is basic though.

welcome

There is a Yamaha school in my town, but it only says about group lessons on the web site. I think I'd rather go it alone.

If I ring these guys, what should I ask them? Should I ask a local music shop for a recommendation?

Thanks
                              Try both and see what you think. My local music shop gives beginner lessons and posts adverts for teachers.

See if there's a local music centre that you can join - it's good for practice - and the challenge of trying to keep up with 8 year olds.

Then go to

Koshka

and check out the Koshka video on the right. Watch Nigel Clark and be amazed (They are even more impressive live - I saw them in Otley on Friday)

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X