No announcement yet.

The Food Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I could find was a tin of Jackfruit in Waitrose. Not much taste to me. Last time I had breadfruit was in Jemmas Kitchen on Tobago.

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
      All I could find was a tin of Jackfruit in Waitrose. Not much taste to me. Last time I had breadfruit was in Jemmas Kitchen on Tobago.
      jackfruit and breafruit are different species (but same genus). Tinned jack is usually unripened fruit, which is tasteless and not really what most people use in asia. The ripened variety is something like eating raw or fried as it is quite fragrant & sweet (but I would avoid drinking water straight afterwards as it can give you the runs due to some reaction I suspect is potassium related). the ripe variety you cant find in supermarkets BUT can be found in asian shops / grocery stores / food stores.

Comment

Mention of sugar free foods reminds me I have not posted on this subject for some time. I researched this area for some three years. Had a few disasters on the way. Basically, sugar has two functions, sweetening and supporting structure. The latter is due to sugar forming a glass ie caramel. The only sugar replacement that does this is Isomalt.
        So, I use sweetener tablets for tea and coffee, a table top sweetener for my porridge, Isomalt for sponges, tarte tatins and brandy snaps, and Xylitol for syrups. My next project is to start making sugar free liqueurs with Xylitol. Cakes etc can be made with TT sweeteners, except Madeira and similar which will need the support given by Isomalt.
        As far as I am concerned, any recipe can now be made sugar free and I am having a campaign with Waitrose to provide more Sugar free and "No sugar Added" foods such as tomato products.
        johnep

Comment

Just a word on Salt Cod. When in Export in the West Indies, I often enjoyed salt cod and Ackee. Salt cod was the cheapest protein source in the 1600 and 1700s and was imported by plantation owners for their slaves. like so many foods originally for the poorest people, eg Oysters, it became part of the culture and grew more expensive. I looked for it in Lisbon and found several brands in supermarkets. It was expensive.
          johnep

Comment

I've had jackfruit several times in Thailand, but four or five years ago my wife had a nasty allergic response to it. Gave her some antihistamines; part of our standard travel pack, and she was improving, but daughter-in-law panicked and insisted we went to the nearest hospital, which kept her in overnight. She was fine in the morning. Insurance paid, of course, although it wasn't in fact expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Modus_Operandi View Post
              a while ago, I saw a Jame Martin programme where he mentioned making a vegan fois gras (apparently if you make canteloupe in a certain way, it has the same taste and texture as fois grois). Slight problem is that I didnt record any recipes and would like to know if anyone knows about how to do so.

on a side note, unripened jack fruit, when cooked in an oven, has a similar texture and taste to pulled pork,. will be experimenting with a "pulled pork" recipe in the future
              Hope this helps. You may be able to find a video of this on YouTube if you do a search.

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/spi...th_melon_46693

Comment

Here in Ely East Anglia. Very few West Indians. No fresh Jack Fruit etc available.
                I used to live in Dunstable Bedfordshire and Luton had all Asian and West Indian foods available. I used to buy Honey Mangos.
                johnep

Comment

I have just made a sugar free liqueur. Very simple with an essence. Liqueurs are syrupy and difficult to replicate. I used Xylitol same amount as sugar and this gave the correct mouth feel.
                  johnep

Comment

Working...
                  X