The Food Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Food Thread

We have had several posts re gluten free foods, so I think a food thread could have possibilities with the increasing marketing of 'nutriceuticals' such as omega 3 and plant sterols.

When I retired completely, I missed the compounding I used to do before the peppermint watershed.

So, I have taken up fancy cooking.
    My philosophy re hobbies is that they should earn their keep in some way. Gardening and DIY fulfilled that objective for many years, but now I can do them no more, I have to find an alternative within my capabilities.
    I have looked at ways of saving money, and was concerned re the chicken we threw away and also the turkey leftovers at Christmas.
    Now I convert the chicken into cock-a-leekie and Turkey into Turkey and cranberry soups.

These can be frozen and enjoyed on cold days for lunch.

Next I turned my attention to Tarte Tatin, and after a few disasters, now can reach near perfection.
    This weekend I hope to make a pineapple TT as a change. If you want, I can pm or post the recipe.
    TT involves caramel which is very very hot, so not one for the children.

I have joined both Tesco and Waitrose food clubs and both often send vouchers and £10 off your shopping etc.
    Come on you gastromes, lets have some ideas.

Johnep

Re: The Food Thread

I like to make smoked chicken risotto.
    Its sublime.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Sounds good, apparently you can smoke in an old biscuit tin, was shown recently on a food prog. No doubt google will find it. Was in connection with mackerel or trout.
      johnep

Comment

I'd like to think I can make a good shepherd's pie, but I can never get the mash to be super smooth. Apple crumble is also a favourite of mine - first time I made it, it came out a bit bland. Next time round added decent amount of sugar and some chocolate. One thing I cannot find is Carnation Caramel cream - I was looking to add this into the apple crumble but can't seem to find it in any of the big supermarkets (Sainsbury's, Tesco, Asda). Anyone know where I can get it from ? Crab spaghetti is also a favourite. Only place I could find crab meat was in Waitrose.
        http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

i mostly cheat with my cooking. i like to do a baked tomato pesto chicken breast using red pesto. leftover pesto gets mixed with a bit of milk or cream in a pan to make a lovely sauce for the pasta.

quite a fan of thai crab cakes too but as i don't yet have a food processor i find it quite difficult to get decent breadcrumbs to use as a coating . The crab meat i normally get from sainsburys or larger asdas. Downside is that it's normally tinned and isn't always 100% crab (sometimes only 50% with 40% surimi and 10% dolphin)

nikolai, have you thought about getting a caramel syrup (like the ones they put in your coffee in starbucks) and mixing that with plain carnation?
          “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Waitrose currently selling breadcrumbs for their Heston garlic dip. I thought the dip was very tedious to make and a bit bland. However, got me into making salad dressings. Will have another shot at making a passable imitation Briant Poppy Seed Dressing. Got original idea from food czar.
            Waiting for the pineapple to ripen before using in a Tarte Tatin. In meantime note that all recipes use something to pep it up.
            eg Chilli, pepper, ginger etc.
            Hopefully, may be able to post a pic when made.
            johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
              Come on you gastromes, lets have some ideas.

Johnep
              John.

I have spent the last 25 years attempting to perfect the best way to recreate an authentic Indian curry.

Without doubt, the 'Shish Mahal' Cook Book is the best by far. The recipes do not duplicate restaurant curries; they are representative of the way the cooking is done in the homes of Indian people themselves.

The ISBN No. for the book is 0 907526 08 X

Here's a link if you fancy one...

http://uk.nicebooks.com/ISBN/9780907526087

All recipes can be customised to your own taste.

Just a thought!

Fleeg.
              Last edited by Fleegle; 17th, April 2010, 10:29 PM. Reason: Found the link
              Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Nice one Fleeg I like curries - fave is a lamb karahi

Sir D - good idea thanks. I've still got some in a syrup set from Costa Coffee as an Xmas present so will try that next time

Chorizo in an omelette is worth a try - gives it a nice funky colour.

Comment

Had forgotten an item from Friday shop so despatched to Tescos today. Noticed no green beans from Kenya (Morocco and Egypt instead)
                  Also read that Kenya had to destroy 400tons of flowers destined for Europe. One might say that these imports from far off countries involve air miles, but I have it from a freight forwarding friend that produce simply takes up surplus space on passenger air liners. The volcanic effects are becoming far reaching.

johnep

Comment

Smells like a spammer!
                    johnep

Comment

Dear Mr Johnep,
                      I would like to start introducing some fish in my diet, any tips for somthing quick and easy would be wonderful, i did try a cook in the bag microwave cod fillet last week but honestly it was a thin slither and not really very nice, i have no idea how to cook fish so just somthing basic would be a wonderful start

Many thanks
                      Amanda

Comment

Here's one Amanda...

It has pictures and everything..enjoy.

acqua pazza crazy water fish southern italian recipe

Otherwise..hit the chippie.

Fleeg.
                        Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

awwwww thanks very much, ill give it a try at the weekend

Comment

Last night we watched Julie and Julia on DVD from LoveFilm. I enjoyed the film, my wife thought it boring, went up to bed and left me to it.
                            Just been on Amazon and read the comments on the books. As my speciality is Tarte Tatin, will look her recipe up on the net.
                            johnep

Comment

John, being a foodie did you watch the latest series of Great British Menu on the BBC ? (sad I know but I enjoyed last series )

Comment

Working...
                              X