Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money!!!!!

Hi all

So everyone is always talking about money, and how little us poor pharmacists earn. But are we really so poor? Are we struggling to make ends meet? I once met a very wise guy who worked at BP, and told me his thoughts on the subject with this example.

Ok, so this guy had a reasonably good job at BP - but not a great one....

one day he said to me - you see that guy over there......

he's two grades above me and thinks he's great....the business in fact

But I leave work at 4.30, and he's here every night till 7pm

What difference does that make to his life.......he has a car 2 years younger then mine, and a better model.........

he has one extra bedroom in his house that he probably fills with junk

my wife loves me, and we spend lots of time together

his is divorcing him, as she never sees him

who is better off - him or me?

You I said................

Here's another example, from the opposite end..........

A guy in my town owned 2 pharmacies, and spent years building them up. He sold one recently to a chain, and it did 30,000 items a month. He got 2 million for it I am told. This man is 65.

So what does he do? Does he go off to play golf, snooker, fishing - whatever he enjoys doing?

No, he is now opening up a 100 hour a week pharmacy. He has all the money he sold his shop(s) for, and whatever he had saved over the years, yet he still wants more. He will die working, and his wife/kids will get the lot. What a life.....

Even if you earned double what you do now, would it really make you happier? Surely most pharmacists have a house, car, holidays? If you earned 100k how would your life change?

My take on this, is as long as you have enough so you are not struggling, you are doing ok. For money to really make a big difference in your life you would need enough to stop working AND be able to afford to do all the things you like doing. Obviously, I'd buy fantastic Koi for my massive pond, play at all the best golf courses etc etc. But at the end of the day I have some nice fish, and I have played at some great courses. Check out: -

http://www.lamangaescapes.co.uk/index.htm

I've stayed there 5 times now, and loved every minute of it.

So when you are jealous of the dentist who earns much more then you, ask yourself if he is really any better off? Mine drives an Audi, I have a Focus - both take us to work and back.
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

I concur.

I had a mate and I thought he really enjoyed working down the drains but I've just found out, he was only going through the motions!
    Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
    pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
    eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Re: Money!!!!!

I definately agree with you admin. As far as i want to go as far as possible and not neccesarily down the traditional pharmacy route pharmacy will provide me with an income of more than my familys combined so i will be very comfortable and happy.At the end of the line £40-50k means i earn only what 1in 10 people earn so i could never ask for more.

Comment

I dropped from 6 days a week locumming to 5 (no Saturdays!) then to 4 as I realised that lots of money is no fun if you're too knackered and grumpy to spend it, and that "enough" money is enough - and fun
        Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

excellent attitude defblade. At the end of the day working as a pharmaicts does not make you rich unless you own one but you can certainly have a very good lifestyle. However its nice to know if you want something nice you can do some extra work to cover it

Comment

My boss said I was a workaholic but the sad fact is I have always enjoyed what I have been doing and getting a good result. I started working when I was 14 as a paper boy and have worked ever since. My maxim is 'in every job that should be done, there must be an element of fun'. I certainly would not have found full time retail fun but have enjoyed part time working over the years while in industry and retired.

Many men are driven and will work when there is no need to do so. However,
            the Tiny Rowlands, Richard Bransons, Alan Sugars of this life work because they enjoy it.
            johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
              My maxim is 'in every job that should be done, there must be an element of fun'.
              I think perhaps you've pretty much (2 words transposed IIRC) nicked that one from a certain Ms M Poppins
              Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

I certainly did.
                johnep

Comment

I would like to double my salary, so I could cut down to working half the time.
                  47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                  2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                  How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Here's an intersting thing I stumbled across - Global Rich List
                    Puts things in perspective

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                      I would like to double my salary, so I could cut down to working half the time.
                      I would like to double my time, so I could spend more time worrying about my salary.
                      ....just my opinion

Comment

I agree with Johnep. I enjoyed my work. Yes things were not as good as they could have been sometimes, and there was a time when I just wanted out, but overall I've enjoyed doing what I did. And I saw some things I turn into anecdotes which make me (at any rate) laugh.

At around 45-50 I promised myself I'd stop working full time at 65, and full time at 70.

And I did. I still get a bit tempted to go back part-time, but it passes!

Comment

I often look at rich business people and wonder why they carry on working, when they have more than enough to do whatever they want with the rest of their life. I always say if I had a million pounds, probaby half a million now I am older I would just enjoy it. Having met some wealthy people (entrepreneurs) I realise it is not always the money they are working for. It is the joy of the challenge and achieving greater success. You may look at them and think, what a terrible life they have working many hours a day. Most of them do it because they like doing it; it is their passion. The same can be said of many workaholics, but obviously not all.

Comment

Working...
                          X