Becoming a citizen of the EU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a citizen of the EU

I was informed last Friday by the German authorities that I qualify for a German Passport and retain British nationality.

My late mother was Irish, so her children have always been Irish citizens. It was simple enough to send for a passport. Sorted.

Comment

Be careful that you don't become liable for income tax in the country of your additional passport!
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
        Be careful that you don't become liable for income tax in the country of your additional passport!
        Yep. the US does that

Comment

Some EU countries don't let you hold dual citizenship for countries that are not part of the EU. So if we do leave, that one's interesting.

I can't get Irish citizenship as my nan who I believe was an Irish citizen (her family were all born in Ireland, she was born in the UK) died before I was born. My father can get Irish citizenship, but because he didn't claim it before I was born I can't get it that way.

Comment

I believe that the Dutch don’t allow dual citizenship. If your Nan had been born in Ireland you’d have been entitled to Irish citizenship, even if she’d passed away

Comment

Dual nationality is allowed in this case. There is a double jeopardy tax agreement between UK and Germany, which means that you don't pay tax twice.

Comment

Working...
              X