Thailand!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thailand!

Hi. I'm off to Thailand soon for 2 weeks. Has anyone been before? We're staying in Bangkok for 3 nights then probably down to one of the islands. We're staying in the Nana Hotel, apparently it's in quite a lively area! It was 30 degrees there yesterday. Looking forward to some sun.

Re: Thailand!

Get a Hep B shot
    i will visit Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia in few months, and the nurse advised me to get some jabs ( Hep B and i do not remember what else).

just show a fiver in town, and you will get surrounded by 20 chicks ( not sure if this is a good advice for you).
    Last edited by Rafael; 9, January 2009, 04:23 PM.
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Comment

and some people question why it's called bangkock

Comment

[COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
        [/COLOR]

Comment

If your in Bangkok over a weekend go to Chatachuk Market, at the end of the Skytrain line. Fantastic place but go early to avoid heat!!!

The area around Nana is pretty lively to say the least!!! Restaurant called Cabbages and Condoms is recommended, situated off the Sukhumvit Road down a side street.

Wat Po and Kings Palace are worth a look. Get there by taking a water ferry along the river, great way to see the city!!

Enjoy

Comment

I was in Bangkok in 1970 on a business trip. Over one week end did the floating market and temple tours.

Originally stayed in the Oriental, but kept awake by the water taxis. Moved to what was then the most modern hotel Dusi Thani.

Got in a taxi to go to a meeting and the driver identified me as English and said 'I have 20 lovely boys for you'.

Nothing's changed.

I was glad to get to Hong Kong where there was an English atmosphere.
            johnep

Comment

Brush up on your skills in distinguishing a man from a woman.
              Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

YouTube - Gogo bar 2
                go to gogo bar, my mates at uni recommended it for me.
                [/COLOR]

Comment

Am just outside Bangkok at the moment, visiting family. Weather is absolutely lovely; blue skies, warm, but a breeze to take the edge off!

Yes area round Nana is lively; try also Soi (side street) 33. Plenty of lively bars there. Kat-hooeys (lady boys) are around, but there's something about the face which identifies them as non-feminine.

Not for nothing is Thailand called the "Land of Smiles", people are really friendly. Don't, though, whatever you do, have anything to do with drugs. Police are very hot on such things and see "farangs" (generic term for foreigners) as source of problems. Don't also, make disparaging remarks about the King, whose picture is up everywhere. He's revered.
                  Exchange rate isn't as good as it has been; around 50 TBh to the GBP. When we first went it was over 70! Take cash, change money in banks, found at the Skytrain stations. Food from street vendors and in small cafe's is excellent and cheap. Beer s/b around 120 TBh per large bottle. Maybe a bit more in some tourist bars.
                  Taxis are cheap and efficient; don't bother with tuk-tuks unless you want a laugh and a trip to a dodgy gem house. Motor cycle taxis are also cheap and efficient; just don't fall off and remember the average Thai male is smaller that a Westerner and, on a motor bike, his knees won't stick out as far. They go through some VERY narrow gaps!
                  However, Skytrain is extremely efficient method of getting about, and a trip on the river is to be recommended. Get the slow boat; maybe 40 TBH to travel right through the city!

If I'm here, what am I doing reading pharmacy forum; well I do every so often , and as I say, Mrs M & I are visiting family so it's not like being "on holiday".

Have fun.
                  Last edited by the old merlin; 9, January 2009, 11:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Wonderful post Merlin....enjoy your break with the family.

Fleegle
                    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                      I was glad to get to Hong Kong where there was an English atmosphere.
                      johnep
                      I try and find places where there is no 'English atmosphere'!!

Comment

The difference is that you were there on holiday, I was there on business and feeling homesick after four weeks of a far east tour.
                        johnep

Comment

Thailand has the big advantage, culturally, in that it has never been a colony of, or conquered by, a European nation. The last time they had a significant period of foreign control was in the 18th Century, when what is now Thailand was occupied by the Burmese. They were driven out by armies led by the ancestor of the present King. (Which is of course, why he is!)
                          In the late 19th & early 20th C's the Kings of Thailand very skillfully played off the British (in Burma & Malaya) and French (in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos) against each other and retained their independence. Consequently there's no tradition of "subservience" to a European face, or any suggestion that to "get on" one must speak the conquerors language.

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
                            I try and find places where there is no 'English atmosphere'!!
                            Avoiding the 'lager and tequila shot' widescreen football brigade is a bit difficult.
                            Luckily most of them don't go scuba diving.
                            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Has anyone been to Hao Hin. I think we're going there for a couple of days.

Comment

Working...
                              X