Remembrance services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembrance services

Just out of curiosity, how do pharmacists out there commemorate Remembrance Day ? Presuming there are no scripts/MUR's/people asking you stuff, does anyone keep two minutes silence ?
    http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Re: Remembrance services

Where I'm working today (GP surgery) we are.

As a manager I used to print out a couple of notices to say that we would be observing 2 mins silence and customers were welcome to join in and to respect staff's wish to observe the silence and not ask to be served during that time,and stick them on the front door and on the counter.
    At 10.58ish I used to dial the shop phone from the fax line so that phone did not ring.

There was sometimes a customer who came in during the 2 mins but a quick point at the notice on the counter by a member of staff soon made them aware of why we were all standing quietly and not serving them.
    Titch

Comment

Getting closer to the time we advise customers that we will be observing the 2 minutes silence, one of us usually stands by the door to alert incomming customers during the silence, and the pharmacist takes the phone off the hook. We are on busy bus routes too so them stopping is usually a good pointer too.
      Make some one smile today.

Comment

Oddly enough, observing the silence on 11th is quite recent. I think, though, that it WAS observed on 11th before WWII. When I was young (early 50's) we had the silence on Remembrance Sunday ... quite emotional as the guy who led the service at the local Memorial was a WWI veteran who had lost two sons in WWII. Used to read out the names on the memorial and as he got to the second of his sons his voice would JUST quiver!

On the 11th itself we just got on with it. Unless of course, the 11th happened to be a Sunday!

Comment

It's heartening to see many pharmacies go to the effort to observe the silence as you guys have described. Doing it at uni is a lot harder though - maybe there should be a dedicated minute's silence at all unis ? Schools and colleges do so, as well as a minute's silence on sep 11

Comment

Oh come on. Yes Sept 11th was awful, but it's not in the same league as Remembrance Day . Where does it stop? Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Dresden, Hamburg, Coventry? The sinking of the Lusitania? The Somme? The loss of the Titanic? 30th Sept, the anniversary of the barbarous slaughter of Dafydd II on the orders of Edward I? The day the Romans crossed the Menai chulforoedd and ended British resistance by massacring the Druids?

Comment

Bad day!
              Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Originally posted by the old merlin View Post
                Oh come on. Yes Sept 11th was awful, but it's not in the same league as Remembrance Day .
                Yes it was an afterthought - what I meant was that at some schools, a one minute's silence is held on sep 11 (happened in my old school).
                I personally think it's not necessarily a bad idea to hold a silence on sep 11 - imagine what the world would be like today if it had not happened ? I don't think rating different atrocities such as the 2 world wars, sep 11, etc in a league means anything to the relatives and friends of those who died in any of those events.

Comment

It's two minute silence not one but it takes 50 seconds for Big Ben to toll eleven times. In recent times September the 11th has been observed and so has July 7th. For those of us that watched Sep 11th unfold live it was truly horrendous and I don't think any will ever need to be reminded of the atrocities that have happed throughpout the ages. November the 11th is a milestone that could be used to remember all of those that lost their lives, be it military or civilian, for democracy, I for one use those two minutes of silence to remember such unsung heroes.
                  Make some one smile today.

Comment

If we remember Sept 11, should we not also remember, 7/7, Armagh and Warren point and when Mountbatten was murdered, or, are there different rules for different groups of terrorists?
                    I suspect that Hadrian regarded the Scots as terrorists and likewise the Welsh.
                    johnep

Comment

My point was that we can go over the top remembering whatever. It's like the fuss that's made over "our boys" coming back from Iraq.

When I was young my friends were called up for National Service (I just missed it, being a student). They got shot at, and some of them killed or wounded, in Malaya and Cyprus, and earlier in Korea. They weren't volunteers like the modern Army etc. They were conscripted. They were told that now they were 18 they HAD to go. They got derisory wages and when they came home they were told to get on with their lives.
                      Which they did.

Comment

Working...
                      X