No announcement yet.

Boots - hope they aren't all like that.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boots - hope they aren't all like that.

As a one time Boots pre-reg and pharmacist who had it inculcated into him from day one that you should be doing something every minute of the day, that we don't sell empty space and that customers never wait to pay etc etc. I always had the feeling that everything I did was being watched, and woe betide if any corners were cut. I went into a Boots, probably for the first time in 15 years. If I was Victor Mildrew, I would have stood there shouting.. "I don't believe it". Litter on the floor, gaps on the shelves, stock not faced up, customers queuing up at a 4 station checkout with one person on duty. To top it all there were several staff just stood talking and joking on the chemist counter, anyway I think I started having a panic attack and had to get out of the place. How have things got so slack? It's no wonder they are or have lost ground to competition.
    Still gives me a cold shiver thinking about it.

Pharmanaut is normally a calm person, not easily prone to panic attacks. It must be the strength of the conditioning they put us through.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

I totally agree- I often go into my local Boots for industrial espionage, it's like an illustrated version of the C&D pricelist; but the shop always looks like the food hall in Marks & Sparks at 3.30pm on Xmas eve: absolute chaos, nearly nothing left on the shelves, and if there is something on the shelf, it's probably not on the right shelf! The fixtures look completely worn out, the flooring is full of holes, it's like they're expecting a complete refit tomorrow, except it's been like that for a year or so!
    But they do still so nice sandwiches, though...!
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Boots

As a retired Boots pharmacist I would only blame the manager of a particular store if the staff were rude or unhelpful. If you find a store where the manager is on the shop floor and has standards, you will find a disciplines staff.
      As far as premises are concerned. Boots do seem to be letting their stores get very shabby. Our local one has pealing paint, doors off their hinges and broken heating/cooling sytem. The staff tell me it may be fixed NEXT Year.
      I must be demoralising to work in such places.

Norcot

Comment

Originally posted by norcot

Norcot
        I hope that was a Freudian slip for "it must be demoralising..."!
        Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

I ran out of T - must get some PG tips in.

Norcot.

Comment

Originally posted by norcot
            As a retired Boots pharmacist I would only blame the manager of a particular store if the staff were rude or unhelpful. If you find a store where the manager is on the shop floor and has standards, you will find a disciplines staff.
            As far as premises are concerned. Boots do seem to be letting their stores get very shabby. Our local one has pealing paint, doors off their hinges and broken heating/cooling sytem. The staff tell me it may be fixed NEXT Year.

Norcot
            I have been a Boots manager. Part of the problem is the staffing levels. Also long gone are cleaners who used to arrive early in the morning to keep the place spick and span. The staff have to do all that now. I have cleaned toilets in the past, washed the floor etc because we were all trying to muck in and clean the place up.

I always believe the best way to lead is by example. If you are rude to people they will be rude to others. If you read the post from Hot Topic on motivating staff though, you'll soon discover that motivating people on a minimum wage is hard. I know Hop Topic and she is an excellent pharmacist, and a very nice person as well.

I have no time for people in the back laughing out loud, I find it distracting and unprofessional. I would think though that rude workers are unhappy workers. Fortunately I got on really well with my bunch.

In fact we got on so well that our figures were so up on the year for OTC and Rx that I got a £5000 bonus in my pay packet. Boots gave the staff in return a 10% reduction in their hours.

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
            Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
            Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

I think it's the same with all multiples now. They want everyone to work at minimum staffing on minimum wage and wonder why standards slip.

An area manager at one of the shops I was working at was asked why dispensers were paid £1.00 an hour less than ASDA checkout girls and he said "They have to be paid more because the job is so boring. Workers in the health industry get paid less because they have better jobs that have greater job satisfaction!"

I can't see the problems getting any better until it degrades so badly that management has to sit up and say our shops are looking so bad we must do something to get staff morale back up.

I think that this has been booked in just after the third world is fed and hell freezes over
              Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
              pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
              eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Linnear

You are right, all multiples are virtually the same now. I have worked for just about all of them, and there's not a lot to choose between them that I can see.

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Working...
                X