Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wished you were a dentist?

Hi Everyone

I had my first tooth out today. I had two jabs in the mouth, and it was out in about 15 seconds. It was weird having it out - the strangest thing was the noise!

A quick chat with the dentist (5 mins) and that was my £48 spent!

I thought about the old door and string trick, but decided I wasn't that hard up!

What really annoyed me (apart from the pain it gave me before he pulled it out) was that I had previously spent £168 getting a root canal done on it. The last dentist left a piece of instrument inside the root, which had gone rotten, and that's why I needed it pulling out!

Nice work if you can get it hey?

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Cost per hour

Originally posted by admin
    Hi Everyone

I had my first tooth out today. I had two jabs in the mouth, and it was out in about 15 seconds. It was weird having it out - the strangest thing was the noise!

A quick chat with the dentist (5 mins) and that was my £48 spent!

I thought about the old door and string trick, but decided I wasn't that hard up!

What really annoyed me (apart from the pain it gave me before he pulled it out) was that I had previously spent £168 getting a root canal done on it. The last dentist left a piece of instrument inside the root, which had gone rotten, and that's why I needed it pulling out!

Nice work if you can get it hey?

I think it costs around £60 per hour just to keep a dentists open?
    Wonder what it costs a pharmacy?
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Dentists

Pharmanaut

Well he's on the right side then, because it costs £43.50 for 15 minutes of his time! I don't know what a pharmacy costs, about the same as the dentist I'd guess.

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Root Canals

Hi

Today I had my first root canal of three I need to have. The other two have been done before about ten years ago, by another dentist.

The dentist told me that the stainless steel rods they used to use in the teeth should have a bend left at the end, just in case they ever need to be done again, like mine do. This is so they can be gripped and pulled out easily. So guess what, mine have been snipped clean - no bend atall.

This means the dentist has to try to use a very fine drill, and attempt to drill around the rods and get a grip on them. If he can't do this then that's another tooth I have to lose. At this rate it's going to be false ones!

Now I know this ain't that interesting to all of you, but I wanted to tell you what he told me about how they perform a root canal in certain parts of Africa.

Apparantly they hammer a red hot nail into each root! Yes he honestly told me that's how they do it. There was me thinking how brave I was, for not complaining at having this procedure, and in Africa they're having red hot nails put in their teeth.

It makes you realise just how lucky we are doesn't it. I have to admit that if I had a bad root, and I had the choice of having it pulled, or the nail, well I could happily lose it!

I have to say though, that if you are having a root canal, and are worried about it, then don't - it's not that bad. Ok I've had more relaxing experiences, but it's not as bad as it sounds. I have to keep telling myself this, because I have another one booked on Wednesday 26th, and another one the Wednesday after that. Oh, aren't days off lovely!

Comment

Originally posted by admin
          I wanted to tell you what he told me about how they perform a root canal in certain parts of Africa.

Apparantly they hammer a red hot nail into each root! Yes he honestly told me that's how they do it. There was me thinking how brave I was, for not complaining at having this procedure, and in Africa they're having red hot nails put in their teeth.
          Great bedside manner - he certainly knows how to put a patient at ease.
          If you must use a celebrity dentist - next time don't choose the one from "The Little Shop of Horrors"

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff
            Great bedside manner - he certainly knows how to put a patient at ease.
            If you must use a celebrity dentist - next time don't choose the one from "The Little Shop of Horrors"

Jeff
            To be fair Jeff he is good at his job, and he was just chatting to me. I don't think you'd call him a celebrity dentist - just an ordinary one.

Tomorrow I have the pleasure of his company for a whole hour! Yep, another lovely root canal. The time is because he has to try to get the old rods out, that have been snipped off clean, instead of having a loop left at the end so they can be easily removed if necessary. He is going to try to use a very fine drill to go around them and get them out. If he can't I have to have another one pulled out.

I'm going next Wednesday for yet another root canal. Basically my last dentist's work was awful, and I've been left with root canals that all need re-doing, and one that had a piece of instrument left in it that has already been pulled out. Unfortunately the last guy just rented a room at a practice, and is long gone, so I have nobody who I can complain to, or about.

I'm beginning to hate Wednesdays...............

Comment

Working...
            X