X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any old Mods or Punks out there?

like the title said

are there?

Anyone going to the skeggy rally at spring bank weekend?

I heard Bad Manners are playing!!

You've got to be having a laugh! None of them even admit to playing golf, never mind being an ex punk!

What are you doing regards work?

8)
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

lol,

not sure yet, haven't decided.

i really want to stay but don't want to do the MUR bollox as I think it will just mean I will get a load of hassle from the clients.

They (management) are going to force me to do it, since all the managers bonuses are based on hitting MUR figures, I'm sure of it.

They don't care that they will lose business in existing areas, which has taken so long to build up, as long as they get their greedy little paws on this years bonus.

As for me mentioning that my clients will suffer as a result, my area manager said "f**k em"

Also i don't think any of the doctors will appreciate it, hell one of them, as far as I'm concerned, tried to get me beat up at best, or even killed.

Do I really want to be dealing with these people? of course not.

However i truly believe if I leave, then some of the clients will quite literally end up dead, simple as.

rock and a hard place eh?

hows work with you? LOL

Comment

Just a thought...

...if you refuse to do MURs, what's the worst that can happen?
        could you get the sack? how likely is it that They (i.e. Head Office) would do that, when they spend a lot of money on finding & signing up pharmacists in the first place?
        If you can afford the gamble, I'd say:"don't just quit, make a stand and make them sack you"; Call their bluff, in other words; they say we're valuable, make them feel just HOW valuable we are; I don't know any area manager who likes having to chase up locums on a daily basis...
        Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Zo

The problem is that the company Mister Pharmacist works for is just recruiting anybody, from anywhere. They will just put a young Polish guy in there, and he probably will have a nervous breakdown, and leave after 3 months. That won't bother them though, as they'll just get another and another. You heard him say what the area manager's reply is, and that's the same reply they give to every problem, or so it seems to me.

This company seems to be run so badly, it's hard to believe it still operates. They buy out good pharmacies, with plenty of loyal customers, and then cut everyone's hours. The customer service slips, and so more go elsewhere. They then just cut the staff hours again. I have seen this plenty of times myself.

Sad but true.

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

I understand that bit, but unless he actually throws in the towel and quits or resigns, will his employers risk an employment tribunal litigation experience for unlawful dismissal/constructive dismissal with the heavy fines associated? Do these cases happen for real or only on the telly?

Comment

Zo

If he does leave where will he work? He has only a few scripts a day, but over 150 methadone clients, and about the same in needle exchange users. He actually likes working with the addicts, it's the others that's the problem.

You think I am sometimes down beat about pharmacy I know. I once asked Mister Pharmacist what pharmacy meant to him, and he replied "ten years of misery". If he had proper support, enough staff etc he'd be happy. All the companies I have worked for just use a script to staff ratio, and the ratio just keeps getting bigger. They all want more work for less man hours. It can't go on this way, as virtually every staff member and pharmacist I know is so unhappy at work it's tragic.

I am myself more a people person, then a company one. I can never understand people who talk about the company they work for and use the term "we". As in when they say "we make ten million a year selling that brand" or whatever. Unless you're a major share holder, you are not with the "we". In the last manager's job I had we did so well on our script figures and sales that I got a £5000 bonus. The staff got a 10% reduction in their hours. I left soon after that.

I don't think he would get a result for constructive dismissal. He is in the same working conditions that every other pharmacist in his company is in, so they would just say it's him that can't take the pace. He was having a lot of grief and stress caused by the said area manager a while ago, and the attitude of this individual was that he was a "wimp" because he asked for help as he felt he couldn't cope.

What we NEED is a pharmacist union, or some type of organisation like one. Who can he turn to for help on these things? This is the reason I started up this forum, so we can all share and learn from situations like this one.

Comment

Elaine, I know exactly where you're coming from, and it's quite OK to be a bit downbeat about the state of the profession every now and then, I get days like that too, even though I seem to have acquired a reputation for actually liking my job...
                I do still like my job, by the way. On balance, and at the end of the day, I'm happy. And optimistic. But you're right, we do need some sort of union, and yes, this forum has certainly started something.
                I left my previous position as a pharmacist because I got fed up of being taken for granted, but the only people who lost out through my departure were the remaining staff and the patients, not the bosses; I felt a bit of a coward leaving rather than addressing the problem and solving it, so I can understand why Mister Pharmacist is holding out, I'd probably do the same in his position.
                Age-old dilemma: do you do the wrong thing for the right reason or the right thing for the wrong reason? Answers on a postcard please!

Comment

Zo

When you say this forum has started something, I hope it's something good! At least we have all made some friends and learned from each other. It's also nice to know you can get other people's opinions on things.

I have left jobs and felt bad about doing so, but you can't put up with some of the stuff they put you through, every single day, if you are in an awful situation.

I have worked at Mr P's shop, and it's basically a business that runs on addicts. He actually likes working with them, and you'd think the company would be happy he does, and cares in general about his clients. They don't seem to, and that in itself says a lot about how the mindset of some of these companies, and their area managers. How many pharmacists would be willing to work with so many methadone and needle users, every day, and actually like doing it? Not many I'd bet.

I know he has been trying for a long time to address the problems he has. I think he's holding out because he could get out of the frying pan, and into the fire!

Comment

I got an offer for pre-reg from a community pharmacy after completing their "Gateway to Pre-reg" program in the summer - despite it being more convenient for me in every way, I opted for hospital becasue I thought i could learn more, and hoped I'd get treated better.

The pre-reg at the place I worked in the summer was treat appallingly in my opinion. The company sets the stall out in the first place really i guess - they pay the pre-reg the same as what they get paid for taking one on - he was effectively a free employee, and he was treat as such.

--------------------------------------

btw.. back to the title of the thread, i can just imagine a band of pharmacists scootering their way down to Brighton a la Quadraphenia!

Comment

We are the mods, we are the mods, WE ARE, WE ARE, we are the mods! 8)
                      Never been to Brighton, is something remained of the '60 spirit?

Comment

im a student at Brighton, i wouldnt have known what it was like in the 60s but its definatly a cool place to live. Most people are relaxed and down to earth... most people..

Comment

we seem to have gone off topic somewhat from my original title but its been interesting reading some of the replies to my off topic whinge to admin, therefore I thought it best to continue the thread but under an appropriate title and keep this one free for us aging mods LOL.

i've copied the crux of the off title posts and copied them into “Moans and Groans -MUR’s lack of resources”

Comment

back on topic now please

If anyone was thinking to going to skeggy next bank holiday for the scooter run let me know and we can meet up for a bevvy or 10 if you want.

Bad Manners are playing the sunday night and get this! Doctor and the Medics are doing the Saturday
                            wtf
                            mmm oh well looks like I'll be in the ska room all saturday then lol

this particular weekend is a real dilemma for me as there is also big punk festival going on in Newcastle, "Academy In The UK" 30th Anniversary of Punk 1976-2006"

Its being headlined by The Damned mmm...(I've never forgiven them for making "Smash It Up" only 2 minutes long what was that about grrr) but also Cockney Rejects, Angelic Upstarts, Penetration and GBH along with a load of others i wasn't necessarily into.

Sham 69 played with them all at Birmingham the previous month, (May Day bank holiday) but won't be playing at Newcastle grrrrrrrr

Sounds a good line up to me but I've already comitted to the scooter rally so I guess I'll have to wait another 30 years for the next anniversary tour lol

Comment

I'm going to see The Rolling Stones in August - will they be there?

Do you have a skooter yet Mr P?

Comment

Working...
                              X