Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lanzarote Digital Camera Scams

Hey all...

Myself and Mrs Fleegle are regular visitors to Lanzarote, and have noticed a very distasteful practice rapidly emerging in the vast majority of the "electronics" outlets on the island. We would warn any of you who intend to take a well-earned break, to be extremely wary of them.

Here is just one recent case I found posted in another forum...(sic)

I have just returned from a holiday Lanzarote. Whilst i was there i thought i would invest in a camcorder from one of the many Electrical retailers in Playa Blanca. More fool me... Unfortunately i knew very little about camcorders except that a few of my friends own Sony DVD Camcorders which they are very happy with. I spotted one of these in a shop called Mxxxx-Txxx and asked to have a look at it, the salesman was only too happy to tell me of all its up to date merits and that it was one of the best on the market. It certainly looked the part. We agreed on a price of ?250 inc 3 RW Discs and a case. I paid this on my credit card and awaited the goods. The shop manager then came in and told me that they only had instructions for it in spanish so he would gladly show me how to use it until the could obtain some english ones. He basically told me that it was useless at best as there was no way of transfering the data from the disks onto computer, dvd or through the tv unless i had a piece of equipment called a finalizer which could be obtained from Sony for ?1500. At this point i realised that they had told me a pack of lies and asked for my money back. They then told me they had a no refund policy and could'nt reverse the transaction. But taking pity on me they could sell me an alternative all singing all dancing camcorder for an additional ?250. By now my wife and our friends 14yr old daughter were feeling quite upset and intimidated, we had been in the shop over an hour and were now the only customers in, and to make matters worse 5 or 6 more men of Indian origin had gathered at the door as it was way past closing time. When i refused to pay any more and asked for my original purchase things started to become heated, the shop manager started calling me an idiot and kept trying to offer me other camcorders at extra cost. By this stage i had started to loose my cool and realising our friens daughter was now in tears being comforted by my wife i accepted a Samsung VP352 at no extra cost in order to put an end to the ordeal. It seems to work but i dont know if its a fake or not as since returning home i cant find the model no. on any website. I was really pi##@d off with myself for falling for such a scam and for letting it get so far as to upset our friends daughter. I dont usually fall for such scams and can only blame it on letting my guard down whilst being on holiday. I trust i am not the first and wont be the last to fall for this scam, but for anybody reading this please stay clear of these shops. A purchase from one will only end in tears - literally.

So..My advice is..Watch out for these people..especially after a few beers...Tenerife, Gran Canaria and Fuerteventura are equally affected.

Fleeg.
    Last edited by Fleegle; 19, September 2008, 10:28 PM.
    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Re: Lanzarote Digital Camera Scams

the simple advice is - don't buy electronics abroad! If it goes wrong, you can't take it back without a plane ticket, and quite often the manufacturer's guarantee is worth diddly-squat once you take it to another country.

I suppose there are exceptions to this eg buying stuff whilst in the us or japan but to be honest stuff outside the US/EU and japan seems to consist mostly of crap or fakes these days.

A favourite in the canary islands is for dodgy electronics shop owners to copy well-established chain names in order to hoodwink customers. On my last visit out there I saw a jessops and a currys - neither of which have any international stores!
    “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

I've bought stuff in Bangkok and Singapore, and got it serviced in UK under guarantee.

Merlin the Watcher.

Comment

Originally posted by the old merlin View Post
        I've bought stuff in Bangkok and Singapore, and got it serviced in UK under guarantee.

Merlin the Watcher.
        then you've been a lucky, lucky fella!
        “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Dispensalot View Post
          then you've been a lucky, lucky fella!
          No. Careful.

Comment

Working...
          X