The written word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The written word

I am afraid I just have to have a gripe.
    I am constantly horrified at the seemingly common lack of written skills in the general population. But what is even more worrying and incredible is the amount of posts on this site where people seem unable to structure sentences, use punctuation and spell the majority of words correctly. The majority of posters here have a tertiary qualification, yet resort to 'txt' style of presenting their thoughts.
    I am far from perfect on this, but I try. I just wish the general population would also put some effort in.

Re: The written word

Fully agree with you there Womble..It's been slowly creeping in, especially by some of the newer members on the student forum. There is a legal forum in Ireland (where I live) which promptly deletes any posts which are blatantly written in "text-speak".

Perhaps we should do the same...
    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

I agree my dear associate Womble. Many times whilst perusing the posts on this forum I have pondered upon the poor language skills employed by many of our brethren (and sistren! ). I think the art of language and the skills used to express oneself in our language are becoming less verbose by the day, due in no small part to the character restriction in the SMS messaging systems employed by mobile telephones.
      Wherever possible I do try to do my bit, pulling up our less linguistically gifted colleagues who should know better. It does disappoint me sometimes when a university student posts something in a language bearing only a passing resemblence to english on here - after all they are close to the pinnacle of their academic careers!

“It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

I guess some students just get so used to it. They may be posting like that on this forum, but I’ve seen some students speak like that to the very senior staff at work and University. Shocking!

I do hope I come across professional on this forum…..
        Lazy Lady...
        [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Nite View Post
          I do hope I come across professional on this forum…..

you certainly do lazy! especially compared to me!
          “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks Sir Dispensalot….your too sweet!

I walk, dress and talk professional…..But then I have a bad habit of ‘giggling’ too much.

Lazy Lady...
            [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
              I am afraid I just have to have a gripe.
              I am constantly horrified at the seemingly common lack of written skills in the general population. But what is even more worrying and incredible is the amount of posts on this site where people seem unable to structure sentences, use punctuation and spell the majority of words correctly. The majority of posters here have a tertiary qualification, yet resort to 'txt' style of presenting their thoughts.
              I am far from perfect on this, but I try. I just wish the general population would also put some effort in.
              UR getting old.
              But WTF enjoy ur gripe.

Jeff

Comment

Well it's all here lads...

Webopedia: Text Messaging, Chat Abbreviations & Smiley Faces

Burberry RULES (BTW)
                Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

I agree Womble. It's common courtesy and decency to post on professional (and other forums) in proper English. Although I would be considered by some (not necessarily on here - just in the general context) as of the information generation; I sadly cannot understand many posts on the student websites and forums.
                  Last edited by laurabuk; 18, September 2008, 10:02 PM. Reason: Horror! Writing in a thread on English with a typographical error!!
                  wake up and smell the 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione

Comment

I have to point out that I'm a university student and I do try and write my posts in proper English. I could just as easily write in textspeak but I fear that many peepz here ain't gna knw wat I'm tlkin bout. AFAIC txtspeak shud b avoided.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Nite View Post
                      Thanks Sir Dispensalot….your too sweet!

I walk, dress and talk professional…..But then I have a bad habit of ‘giggling’ too much.

Actually it's you're

and, surely, "professionally". Or "as a professional person should".

Comment

Originally posted by the old merlin View Post
                        Actually it's you're

and, surely, "professionally". Or "as a professional person should".
                        Dear Merlin

I don't understand what you mean?
                        Lazy Lady...

Comment

"Your" in the sense in which you used it is an abbreviation of "you are"

i.e. Your coat .... this coat belongs to you.

You're beautiful .... you are a very good looking lady!

"professional" is either a noun or an adjective. As in "I am a professional person"

professionally is an adverb.

Comment

Thank you for your comments Merlin

I’m so sorry…I’m a bit slow at this time of day. Just spent 5 hours in the gym…...lazy is feeling dizzy

Lazy Lady...

Comment

It's 1-2 hrs per day, not all of the session once per week.

Especially on a Saturday night. You should have better things to do then! I did at your age!

Comment

Working...
                              X