Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help me stop the unauthorised use of my bank account!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me stop the unauthorised use of my bank account!!!!

hi guys, i need your help! plzzzzz
    i am on holiday right now, i.e not in the UK, i just checked my balance and noticed a 1005 pound transfere made a on the 20th of august to a another person ( his name is written under the online statement)....................

how can i stop this bulshit and get my money back?
    what should i do? ring them or wait till i get back on the 15th of september and solve it?

anyone had such an experience????
    how can someone use my account without my authorisation!! i never used the online banking from another laptop, always mine, and no one has access of my laptop as i have a password to unlock it!

plzzzzzz i need your help all the money i have been saving during the 2 months summer work is gone in a second!!!!
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Re: help me stop the unauthorised use of my bank account!!!!

Hey Ray

Don’t worry, do not panic; my aunt had a similar problem.

She informed:

1. Her bank ASAP
    2. Called the police, who gave her a crime number.
    3. This number was then given to her bank
    4. They cancelled her old card number and issued a new one.
    5. They refunded her money

All sorted
    Lazy Lady...
    [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

crime number?? i believe it was a bank transfere, because i have the sort code, reference, account number of the receiving part............ is there someone i can contact tom or wait for monday?
      btw its LLoyds TSB bank, F---ing bastards.......
      [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
        how can someone use my account without my authorisation!! i never used the online banking from another laptop, always mine, and no one has access of my laptop as i have a password to unlock it!

plzzzzzz i need your help all the money i have been saving during the 2 months summer work is gone in a second!!!!
        ray, the laptop you are using is probably compromised in some way with spyware. i recommend a full scan of your system using windows defender, lavasoft's ad-aware, and spybot S&D to root out any nasties lurking on your hard drive. Then go online and use a free online antivirus scanner like the free one at panda's website, or download something like avast!, just in case you've got a trojan lurking in there.

Get a decent firewall like zonealarm - ie one which you have to grant permission for programs to connect to the net with.

when using email programs like outlook express, switch off the preview pane. using an online email client like yahoo, hotmail or googlemail is good as they scan all email attachments you get before you download them.

stop using internet explorer! Its security holes are frequently exploited by the shadier side of the net. Use firefox or opera instead as these browsers are far more secure.

Don't download games, software etc from the net unless you know they are from a reputable source and are ad/spyware free. A trawl through my stepdaughter's laptop found over 400 spyware programs downloaded from only a handful of games she downloaded.

last but not least your bank details may have been cloned from your card used in a dodgy chip & pin reader (petrol stations are rife with these) or a fake front fitted on a cash machine. Look at your cashcard. After the first 4 numbers on it you have your bank sort code then your account number. Then they have your name as it appears on your bank acct printed on the card. It isn't rocket science.

As lazy has outlined above, call your bank, call the police, get your bank acc no. changed too if it's a direct funds transfer. All the major banks have extensive experience dealing with identity theft. You will get your dosh back, but you might have to wait a couple of weeks for it.
        “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Dispensalot View Post
          ray, the laptop you are using is probably compromised in some way with spyware. i recommend a full scan of your system using windows defender, lavasoft's ad-aware, and spybot S&D to root out any nasties lurking on your hard drive. Then go online and use a free online antivirus scanner like the free one at panda's website, or download something like avast!, just in case you've got a trojan lurking in there.

Get a decent firewall like zonealarm - ie one which you have to grant permission for programs to connect to the net with.

when using email programs like outlook express, switch off the preview pane. using an online email client like yahoo, hotmail or googlemail is good as they scan all email attachments you get before you download them.

stop using internet explorer! Its security holes are frequently exploited by the shadier side of the net. Use firefox or opera instead as these browsers are far more secure.

Don't download games, software etc from the net unless you know they are from a reputable source and are ad/spyware free. A trawl through my stepdaughter's laptop found over 400 spyware programs downloaded from only a handful of games she downloaded.

last but not least your bank details may have been cloned from your card used in a dodgy chip & pin reader (petrol stations are rife with these) or a fake front fitted on a cash machine. Look at your cashcard. After the first 4 numbers on it you have your bank sort code then your account number. Then they have your name as it appears on your bank acct printed on the card. It isn't rocket science.

As lazy has outlined above, call your bank, call the police, get your bank acc no. changed too if it's a direct funds transfer. All the major banks have extensive experience dealing with identity theft. You will get your dosh back, but you might have to wait a couple of weeks for it.

thanks for all the tips, will get them sorted later no, now i need to get my money back ad a priority and BLOCK the online banking service before he nicks the remaining 90 pounds in my account

i only used the petrol cash machine once in the past months, and yes it was 1 week before the money transfere occured. i

1-w can i prove for them that i DID NOT make a transfere to the guy listed undet my transaction history??? i dont believe the transfere was made ONLINE......

2-have never done an ONLINE bank transfere before, how could he add him self under the payee list? he is the only person........

3- will the polic be of any help in terms of providing a case reference if i call them from outside the UK??? or they have to come, sit with me, open a new case then provide me a ref number?

4- i had 1099 pound in my account, 1005 pounds have been stolen from me....... why not all???

i hate online banking, as soon i sort this problem, i will CLOSE my bank account with lloyds and go with another bank........ hell to online banking
          [/COLOR]

Comment

thanks for all the tips, will get them sorted later no, now i need to get my money back ad a priority and BLOCK the online banking service before he nicks the remaining 90 pounds in my account

i only used the petrol cash machine once in the past months, and yes it was 1 week before the money transfere occured. i

1-w can i prove for them that i DID NOT make a transfere to the guy listed undet my transaction history??? i dont believe the transfere was made ONLINE......

2-have never done an ONLINE bank transfere before, how could he add him self under the payee list? he is the only person........

3- will the polic be of any help in terms of providing a case reference if i call them from outside the UK??? or they have to come, sit with me, open a new case then provide me a ref number?

4- i had 1099 pound in my account, 1005 pounds have been stolen from me....... why not all???

i hate online banking, as soon i sort this problem, i will CLOSE my bank account with lloyds and go with another bank........ hell to online banking

1. you can prove it was fraudulent - therefore the bank will be happy to help.

2. extremely easy to do once you have someone's bank details.

3. the local police back home will probably want a statement but i have no experience in dealing with our police from abroad. a phone call can't hurt. the important thing is to tell the bank asap to lock down further raids on your account.

4. Once they view your balance they never take the full amount because the refusal of funds transfer can flag them up as suspicious to the bank at their end sooner.

5. Don't blame the bank. it's very unlikely that your details were stolen directly from them and they act in good faith most of the time.
            To play devil's advocate, it was your lack of foresight / inability to keep basic things secure which has led to this fraud. Identity theft is the modern criminal's playground and you have to make damn sure you keep your details safe these days. It pays to think like a bastard (pardon the language).
            Last edited by Sir_Dispensalot; 30, August 2008, 05:52 PM. Reason: spelling :D
            “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

1. you can prove it was fraudulent - therefore the bank will be happy to help

a-will the bank help in getting my money back or i might need the help of a lawyer?

will they provide IP address of the computer the transfere was made?
              if it was done anytime before the 14th of august, i can prove i have NO ACCESS of internet at work between 9am -6 pm, hence if it is a different IP address, and i was at work ( i believe the pharmacist can write me a letter or testify that i was at work that day between 9-6, hence there is no possibility of me using someone's else to transfere the money.

b- if they asked me if someone used my laptop, well one of my friends ( summer time friend u can say) used my laptop twice.
              even that i don't believe he is a bad guy, but there is still a possibility he managed to nick my online bank details, as i kept them on my hotmail address.

c- let's say if the reason of the fruad was my lack of security measures, what can i do to get my money back.

remember i have the SORT CODE, ACCOUNT NUMBER, ACCOUNT NAME, Reference number for recipient guy....

i just want my money back worked 10 weeks to save this 1000 pound
              [/COLOR]

Comment

Ray..

First of all, you need to calm down. This has happened, and can't be reversed. Now you have to deal with it. Follow the good advice posted above, and things will sort themselves out..Your bank is not at fault, but they will have procedures in place to deal with this type of fraud. You have not lost your money.

Ring your branch and speak to the Sales & Services Manager, as soon as you can, and explain the situation. I am sure they will take up the case immediately.

I have spoken to my wife about this..she is a Bank Manager, and it would appear yours is in no way an isolated case..unfortunately it is happening far more frequently than it should.

Best of luck mate..

Fleeg.
                Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

thanks for your advice fleegle
                  i will update you on monday once i ring the bank
                  one more thing, can u ask your wife, what is the easy way to find out to which city the transfere was made?

i checked all lloyds Tsb branches, but non had the sort code i am after, altho there is still a possibility it's a new branch that aint listed on the internet list of all branches.

plus i am not sute which bank is he with.
                  [/COLOR]

Comment

Your cc should have a 24/7 nbr for just this type of emergency. I use Spybot and AVG, plus windows defender. First riun with spybot found dozens of spyware and trojans on my hard disc. Now clean as a whistle.
                    johnep

Comment

i have the sort code, reference, account number of the receiving part
                      That is more than enough info..if you have the 24/7 emergency number, ring now if you haven't already done so..Otherwise, ring your branch ASAP with all info you have. I know you're seriously po'd about this, but if you have all the above info..sort code, reference, A/C no. of destination account, your bank will be able to act immediately. Sounds to me that it might just be a genuine mistake.
                      Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

1. but there is still a possibility he managed to nick my online bank details, as i kept them on my hotmail address.
                        Never a good idea to keep bank details on free email or any email as these email systems are not too hard to hack and there are numerous reports about security breaches in gmail, hotmail etcetera,

Personally I am very nervous about putting even my account number in an email and on the occasions where I have had to make sure I delete the email from the deleted mail and also have set my gmail to use https all the time. Problem with hotmail is that after you log in it goes not always use a secure connection so somebody could be watching, better to keep as little personal information in other peoples computer systems as possible.

As Sir D and Johnep say your own device security is very important too. An up to date virus scan, firewall and spybot search and destroy searches are the very least to be safe. But don't forget placing youu bank log in details on your bedroom wall (or hotmail) so any passing thief entering your house can see these may negate all you security.
                        Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
                        (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Ray, I've had unauthorised transactions out of my account on several occasions, and I never bank online- neber have done... one transaction was even off a card that I am certain never to have used for an online purchase, so I'm pretty certain it was a dodgy ATM...
                          On all occasions, it was with a debit card, not credit card; but I still got reimbursed eventually...
                          Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

thanks for all your contributions, i am not aware of the emergency phone number, but i 'll check now if Lloyds bank has one.
                            [/COLOR]

Comment

"If you think that a fraudster already has your Internet banking details, or that someone other than you has accessed your account online, call us immediately on 0845 3000 116 (+44 20 7649 9437 from overseas).

Mon-Fri 7am-10pm and Sat/Sun 8am-6pm."

(From the LloydsTSB website)
                              Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Working...
                              X