Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in love with my car

Right lads...

There's 27 of us on-line..and I think we need a new thread...

Here it is..cars..what do you drive..what would you like to drive..insurance questions..motor dealers..good websites..good and bad experiences..funnies..it's all here..

Throw a few posts in.....
    Last edited by Fleegle; 12, August 2008, 10:21 PM.
    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Re: What do you drive?

Originally posted by Fleegle View Post
    Right lads...

There's 27 of us on-line..and I think we need a new thread...

Here it is..cars..what do you drive..what would you like to drive..insurance questions..motor dealers..good websites..good and bad experiences..funnies..it's all here..

Throw a few posts in.....
    Or why not go into the chat room at the top of the page?

Flashchat

You can minimise the room and it will chime when someone else enters it. That way you can be in the chat room waiting for someone else to join you, and still be reading posts on this site, or using other web sites at the same time.

Elaine
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Re: I'm in love with my car

After my mini I had a Ford Corsair, then a cortina estate, Moskvich (built like a tank), then sierras and mondeos until preretirement got a Mazda 626 because it had an opening roof and a/c. Now have a Mazda 3 and wil probably end up with a Mazda 2.
      johnep

Comment

at the moment i drive a shopping trolley (astra) .

My fave previously owned motors were my mark 2 toyota MR2, and my subaru impreza WRX.

Cars i want - the diesel version of the chrysler 300C (so i can look like a drug dealer), Vauxhall monaro (an australian Holden muscle car in drag), the new nissan GT-R (supercar for 50 grand! amazing!)
        “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

I’m dreaming about:

Mini Cooper’s, convertible……mint or yellow

Any sports car will win me over……

Jeeps…..would love to have long drives near the Rocky Mountains Official UK Jeep site - explore the Jeep range
          Lazy Lady...
          [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

[QUOTE=Sir_Dispensalot;14764]

My fave previously owned motors were my mark 2 toyota MR2, and my subaru impreza WRX.

Funnily enough, I also had a Mk2 MR2 coupe, in gunmetal. It looked like a stonker in the showroom, so I bought it. Turned out to be a complete dog. No handling whatsoever...any time I accelerated off a roundabout, the back end wanted to take the next exit.

In the wet, it would have been easier trying to control a surfboard....Eventually wrote it off one Saturday morning on my way to work outside Edinburgh...hit black ice, then a kerb or two, then entered (and exited) a sturdy bush (of the horticultural type)...the thing just disintegrated..no-one told me it was made of bloody fibreglass!

Toyota have a lot to answer for, in my opinion!...I've stuck with Berlin Motor Works ever since.
            Don't Stop Believing

Comment

Funnily enough, I also had a Mk2 MR2 coupe, in gunmetal. It looked like a stonker in the showroom, so I bought it. Turned out to be a complete dog. No handling whatsoever...any time I accelerated off a roundabout, the back end wanted to take the next exit.

In the wet, it would have been easier trying to control a surfboard....Eventually wrote it off one Saturday morning on my way to work outside Edinburgh...hit black ice, then a kerb or two, then entered (and exited) a sturdy bush (of the horticultural type)...the thing just disintegrated..no-one told me it was made of bloody fibreglass!

Toyota have a lot to answer for, in my opinion!...I've stuck with Berlin Motor Works ever since.
              fleeg - was it an early mk2? they had handling issues at high speed due to wind buffeting. mine was an early one - no power steering - went round corners fantastically once you worked out how to not make it swing like a pendulum. Mid-engined cars are a real handful once they lose grip! I spent a day flinging mine round the track over on anglesey so i could get used to the handling and controlling it in drift.

I used to love going round roundabouts sideways in the wet!

Still ended up smashing it into lots of little bits though. Someone clipped my rear driver's side on the motorway - its very odd watching the crash barrier whizz by in front of you at 70...only to be ripped right around and slam backwards into it as you flick round...

still, gotta love those pop-up headlights...
              “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yeh it was an early one..no power steering either..must admit it was a bit of a babe-magnet..especially when you flashed someone and the headlights appeared from nowhere..then went back to nowhere!

I don't think the alloys were big enough or wide enough to handle a mid-engined car as light as the MR2..never upgraded, as I thought 16 inch wheels looked daft with low-profiles on that particular car. Also thought the gear ratios were far too conservative for a 2 litre sports coupe.

Had great fun finding out how to fill the windscreen washer bottle though!..Did you invest in the Toyota MR2 luggage pack that fitted exactly into the boot?..Perfect for taking the babe on that weekend away...That WAS cool....Happy days......
                Last edited by Fleegle; 13, August 2008, 10:44 PM.
                Don't Stop Believing

Comment

no fleeg - i just spent months traipsing round breaker's yards after some git unscrewed one of my foglights. ONE! i wouldn't have been so annoyed if it was both that had gone!

Terry Pratchett

Comment

I don't think the alloys were big enough or wide enough to handle a mid-engined car as light as the MR2..never upgraded, as I thought 16 inch wheels looked daft with low-profiles on that particular car. Also thought the gear ratios were far too conservative for a 2 litre sports coupe.
                    the MR2 looks fantastic on 17 chrome spoke rims - theres a guy with one near me - with a modded quad exhaust, 17inch spoke chrome rims and a green / yellow flip paint on it. Looks the absolute business!

I think they left the ratios like that because they were paranoid about overheating - if the ratios were much shorter then the engine would be revving a hell of a lot higher all the time and the MR2 ran pretty hot - mine nearly cooked me on a drive down to bath from manchester once!

I've just seen an early one near me on autotrader - in white. £650. oooo tempting......should I buy and start modding?

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good insurance company for a young female driver??

The NPA offer motor insurance, anyone used this??

Lazy Lady...
                      [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

My daughter is with Sheila's wheels.
                        johnep

Comment

Careful mate!! Dont love it too much!

I heard of a guy who got arrested for having sex with his BMX.

To be fair I think it was Russel Brand who said it like. But apparently he had it off with it in his own house, it got raided and he got caught!

I have no idea how he did it with a bike, why he would want to do it with a bike or why the police were so bothered if it were in his own house!

Live and let live I reckon!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Nite View Post

The NPA offer motor insurance, anyone used this??

npa give crap quotes these days lazy. try a few of the comparison websites to get yourself a good deal. don't forget to hike up your excess to reduce your premium and if you're driving a craptastic motor worth less than a grand only get third party fire & theft to help build your no claims bonus.

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Nite View Post
                              The price comparison websites are good (moneysupermarket, gocompare, confused.com) but they don't cover all the major insurers so you need to use a couple then get quotes from at least Direct Line as well (loads cheaper for us than any other this year).

The Money Saving Expert has a good article which will give you a start, don't expect it to be cheap though, I paid just over £1k for my first year's insurance, ah the joys of living in a city

Comment

Working...
                              X