1st car buy – Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st car buy – Any suggestions?

For someone who has just passed their driving test….what is the best car to buy?

Please, any suggestions??

Lazy Lady...
    [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Re: 1st car buy – Any suggestions?

One that runs on bio-diesel !

Comment

Good quality second hand, low insurance group, and lots of space..you'll be driving your friends all over the place, until you realise you want a drink too. German is pretty reliable..VW?..Avoid French, as they install their engines upside down..nightmare for the AA...
      Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

I've always wanted a really tacky car just for the fun of it---one day I aspire to having a 80s lada or trabbie.... 0 to 60 in 60 seconds....coooool!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Nite View Post
          For someone who has just passed their driving test….what is the best car to buy?

Please, any suggestions??

You are a locum. The car is for work. Both the capital value of the car and the insurance are offset against tax.
          If you don't want to be the sober one having to act as a taxi driver to all you friends - how about a 2 seater Smart? They make other people smile - and if you find a Smart Roadster you'll smile too (even if the roof leaks).

Jeff

Comment

VW make a corker of a diesel golf now - excellent 1st car.

Try a vauxhall astra too - the petrol 1.6 is pretty good and it's got a low insurance group.

If you're a turbo nutter but want something cheap that goes round corners like its on rails, go for a scooby circa 2000 (expect to lay out around 3.5k for a good unsullied uk car - also will bypass the emissions taxes due later this year) - sorry - i'm an ex-scooby owner. damn that mortgage of mine....

that fiat 500 is supposed to be pretty nice too - all funky on the inside...

and my biggest tip - do NOT buy new! If you want something new then get it second hand and 6 months to a year old. Either that or get something really old you won't cry about when someone TWOCs it... eg my scooby had 1000 miles on the clock - i only paid 17 grand for it instead of 24.
            “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Excuse my age, but what the hell is a scooby??
              Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

subaru impreza fleeg matey. subaru, scooby-doo (in mockney)...
                “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

My first car was a mini 850 secondhand, such was the hype at the time I paid almost list price for it. (minis were £500) then. I loved it and it returned 50mpg . At the time I was a rep for a company that did not provide cars but loaned cash to buy and gave 6d/mile. At that time petrol was 20p/gallon and I was making real money from my mini. The new minis are vastly superior.

Our neighbour has a smart open top. She adores it.

Good advice on this forum get a good 2nd hand with most of the initial depreciation gone. However, my daughter bought a Ford Ka new and also loves it.

Do not get a large car as parking always at a premium near a pharmacy.
                  johnep

Comment

Thank you so much….guys and gals!

Second hand car – maybe Ford KA, Nissan Micra??? Hopefully under ₤2,000

SMART cars are tiny….although that would be great

Would love to get a mini cooper….but they are too expensive!!

What websites would you recommend? I’ve tried Auto Trader so far…..

Looking for something…. cute and fast!

I saw a car advertised for ₤1……..I think the side mirror was free to take home
                    Lazy Lady...
                    [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For someone who has just passed their driving test….what is the best car to buy?"

get a camel and ride it remind me of my trip to egypt, when you ride a camel in the desert then go for a beduin dinner with tea
                      plus you would be participating in saving the environment with less emission of Carbon :P
                      [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                        "--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

get a camel and ride it remind me of my trip to egypt, when you ride a camel in the desert then go for a beduin dinner with tea
                        plus you would be participating in saving the environment with less emission of Carbon :P
                        Its possible that a modern car will produce less emissions than a camel and could thus be "greener". Plus you could paint it green.

See Be green: drive
                        Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
                        (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Dispensalot View Post
                          subaru impreza fleeg matey. subaru, scooby-doo (in mockney)...
                          but will it still be there at closing time?

............... in Rochdale?
                          ....just my opinion

Comment

To be honest, I'd go for a ford fiesta 1.3. Good car, nippy when you need it to be, low insurance/road tax, and if you have a bump in it/something goes wrong - cheap generic parts. When you've got more experience on the road and know your requirements, upgrade then.
                            Band6 is a Band 6 no longer.. now 7/8a

Comment

My first car was a clio 1.2. Bought it brand new! Just after I qualified.
                              When I was sorting out a loan the car salesman asked how long I'd been employed, "two weeks" I said his face dropped and said "that may be a problem" He then asked how much I earnt - His face lit up and I got the motor!

Oh four years later I got a scooby

My locummobile is now a 2.0 diesel skoda, goes like stink and 50 mpg too

Comment

Working...
                              X