Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koi Carp

Hi Koi Keepers

Does any else keep the "living jewels" that are koi carp?

If so do you want to chat about it?
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

The All Japan Show

Hi Everyone

Ok so nobody keeps Koi, but there is some very exciting news in the world of koi carp.

The 37th annual All Japan Show in Tokyo was won for the first time ever by a westerner. The winning Kohaku koi measures 90cm and won the prize of Grand Champion, out of 3000 fish that were judged.

Have a look at the winning fish on this link, and tell me it's not a beautiful creature to behold. It's also worth about £250,000 by the way! Yes a fish can be worth that much money!

http://www.pskoi.com/All%20Japan%2006.htm

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Hi there!

Seen the pic.

Looks like a badly painted goldfish to me! :twisted:
      Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
      pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
      eloquent-e-tales

Comment

koi carp

I admit to not knowing much about koi carp, apart from how one of my dispensers struggles to keep hers safe from the local herons: she tried one of those plastic decoy ones that are supposed to trick the real herons into believing that the territory is already taken, but it seemed to have the opposite effect:it almost attracted them, as though it was advertising a safe feeding place! Any suggestions?
        I'm also quite curious about this 90cm-champion: how old would a fish that size be? I always wonder about the age of animals, like my patient's 37-year-old goose that's still laying, and my "pet" herring-gull who's been watching me garden for the last 6 years; how old do they get? Did you hear about the 250-year-old tortoise that finally died of old age (!) recently in a zoo in India (this is real- not a joke!)?
        Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Herons

Zoggite

The things with the plastic herons is that you have to use them at the right time of the year. If a heron see one from the sky, it will think it's another heron's territory and probably keep away. If it's during the mating season it thinks it's found a nice mate and it's down for some fun, or just to eat your fish! I don't use one myself but the heron's breeding season is prolonged, and can start in early February in a mild season.

The best thing is to put a pergola over your pond. It stops herons etc seeing the pond, and keeps the water cleaner, as sunlight increases the growth of blanket weed and algae.

The thing about koi size and age are complicated. The Japanese (the world's best Koi breeders) grow on fish in special clay ponds. They can grow to quite big sizes in just a couple of years, say 50cm +

As for age according to Mr. Masayuki Amano, who is a noted enthusiast about carp and was working at the Fisheries Experimental Station in the carp producing Niigata Prefecture, the carp is one of the most long-lived of all kinds of fish. He says he has seen some carp more than 100 years old, but none so old as exceeding 200 years, and one so old as 215 years, is precious beyond all measure, from the scientific point of view.

You can study for a MSc in fish biology you know! I was thinking of doing one, and working with Koi, but the job market is a lot better for pharmacists.

A pond can cost from about £500 (too small for Koi) to 1 million, yes a guy has a million pound pond here in the UK.

Think how great a pond full of beautiful Koi would look in your garden Zo !

Comment

od aged animals and other beastly subjects

stick a pond in my pocket-handkerchief of a garden and there won't be any space left for anything else! Maybe in my next garden...[big sigh]
            Did you know that there are well-documented records of an albatross who was ringed in southern New Zealand in 1938 and was still breeding there in the 1990's?
            I know I said I loved my job, but sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't love a vet's one even more!

Comment

Animals

Zo

I would have loved to be a vet. Unfortunately I didn't go to a very good school, and only went to Uni when I was 26 after working for a few years first. I choose pharmacy because everyone in the lab where I worked was a pharmacist, and I intended to go back to industry. I got side tracked and ended up working in retail, hospital, and after a few job swaps I prefer being a locum.

One of the things I don't like about being a store manager is the managing people! I don't naturally like being in charge, and I hate doing things you are forced to do that are unfair. For example I managed a store, that got well over it's targets for the year, both OTC and prescriptions. I got a 5k bonus for this (very nice thanks) but what did the staff get? I had to cut their hours by 10%. I was sat there in a room attempting to justify why I was doing this, and not even believing myself, and just feeling rotten doing it. I ended up leaving and went it alone, and prefer it that way.

I don't like treating people like that. I know a lot of people only care about themselves, but I just can't. The staff were great, and would always do a favour for me, and if you saw their faces when I did that, well you can guess. Anyone who isn't selfish would feel the same way.

Comment

Koi

Koi carp - the living jewels..........

Ok call me mad, but I bought a new fish for £200. He looks fantastic, and the colours are so vibrant you need your sun glasses on to look at him!

If anyone's interested (which I'm sure you're not) I'll send you a photo of the beauty!

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                  Koi carp - the living jewels..........

Ok call me mad, but I bought a new fish for £200.

£200 for a fish? I hope it tastes nice!
                  Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
                  pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                  eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Linnear

He ain't going anywhere near a frying pan!

The cat gets squirted with a water pistol if she even looks at him!

You need to go to a good Koi dealer, and appreciate a living jewel in

action........

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear
                      I hope it tastes nice!
                      i agree with you Linnear!

Comment

A Very Sad Day............

Hi All

My luck just isn't going too good at the moment. The worst thing that has happened is my best Koi (yes the £200 one) jumped out of the pond the other night, and he was dead when we found him.

Koi can live for quite a long time out of water, but he'd landed behind some pots on the patio, and we just never saw him.

To look at a 20 inch beautiful fish like that, just dead, was horrible.

The thing is, it makes you feel like not buying any more good ones, in case it happens again. None of the other ones have ever jumped out of the pond, so I don't know what happened. There had been some thunder storms, and the change in atmospheric pressure can upset them, so I've read. Maybe it was that, who knows.

Comment

Very sorry to hear your sad news, what a shame. Maybe laying some fine netting over the surface of your pond might stop them from leaping out, as well as stopping too many leaves from falling in and rotting?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite
                            Very sorry to hear your sad news, what a shame. Maybe laying some fine netting over the surface of your pond might stop them from leaping out, as well as stopping too many leaves from falling in and rotting?
                            Thanks

We have a net we use in winter, but it spoils the look of the pond. It's never happened in the last 5 years we've had a pond, and probably never will again, it's just one of those unlucky crappy things that happen in life.

Comment

Very sorry for the koi too..I know what it means when a pet you love dies.. The best thing to do in these cases is to buy a new koi as soon as possible!

Comment

Working...
                              X