X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything goes? I'm scared!

Hi there.

Hate to see a topic with no posts so here goes:

What's the stupidest request you've ever heard.

I've had a woman ask me to find out which of her medicines interacted with the Aloe Vera gel which she had managed to eat twice but didn't mean to!

Best of all though was the woman who wanted to know whether Wisdom toothbrushes could be used on other teeth as well! :lol:
    Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
    pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
    eloquent-e-tales

stupidest request

"castitan cream for the crotch" said the note that a little boy handed me over the counter once;
    "Is this aftrersun to be applied after you've been in the sun?"
    "some of that nice shampoo with the green stuff that you eat with shrimps" (that's avocado oil to you and me...)
    5 kilos of Fuller's Earth powder, to rub into an elephant's skin, when the circus was in town last summer;

Give me a few days and I'm sure I'll remember a few more!
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

I do recall a lady asking for Cling film contraceptive when she actually wanted C Film. After we had a good laugh about it I did tell her it kept cucumbers fresh but I wouldn't trust it for anything else.

Comment

daftest requests...

Last year I was presented with a script for "3 pairs of class II below-knee compression hosiery"; as I didn't have any record of previous supply, I duly presented the patient's representative with one of my finest drawings of a leg, showing what measurements I was requiring to establish which size to dispense for his wife's leg, and explaining that these were best measured first thing in the morning; so I was somewhat surprised to see him return 20 minutes later with a prosthetic leg, complete with sand-coloured popsock and beige slipper, so that I could measure it myself...
        I said I'd need the measurements of the other leg too, but the gentleman told me that his wife didn't wear socks or stockings on the other leg because of her ulcers and their dressings.
        Turns out the GP never even met the patient, just took the request as genuine & justified. Aaarrrghhh!!!!!

Comment

i currently work in, one of the biggest needle/methadone pharmacies you can get and I had a lad get really, really, really excited that we were selling methatone on the shop floor.

(sounds like a VIZ top tip this, lol)

but imagine his disappointment when he got to the counter and i pointed out he was buying metatone (a vitamin tonic and not hard drugs)

(how we laughed, bless him)

Mister Pharmacist

Comment

I remember a bloke came in to Tescos to get a quote for his sildenafil private Rx when we told him £56.

He said, "I'll leave it and ask the wife, she may prefer to go to the cinema!"
            Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Very Funny

I haven't read this section for a bit, but Mister Pharmacist's post made me really laugh out loud! That was very funny.

And Linnears cinema one is great as well.

And Zoggites wooden leg, unbelievable! and castitan cream for the crotch !

Thanks to Norcot for his cling film contraceptive - I think they used that at the school I went to, oh no that was Walkers crisp bags!

I can't think of any funny ones, all I seem to get are nutters wanting to "smash my face in".

Keep 'em coming, it's what it's all about !
              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
              Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

while we're on the subject of silliness...

...Can somebody tell me why Mediphase deems it necessary to print "do not swallow" on labels for 71mm-diameter PVC ring pessaries? Just how many ostriches do they think the average pharmacy sees in a year?!?
                Or what about suppositories:"insert one high into the rectum (remove wrapper first)": DOOHHH!
                Nind you, I do remember being told about a lady who had been prescribed a salbutamol inhaler for her pet allergy, and she then duly sprayed the cat all over with it...
                Similarly, there are tales of patients rubbing Nitrolingual into their chest when they get chest pains...

Comment

I can write a novel!

Dear all freinds and colleagues,
                  I can tell you llots of stories! of course some intersing ones, scientifically!
                  I have a patient, she's in her 70s. she always ask me for Amoxicilline, becaese she takes one capsule/night to allevaite her legs' pain!!! so from now on, Amoxicilline is in the pain kilers category!

Comment

I asked the child weight!

first of all I have to tell you I am thin and I look much more younger than I really am.

Once I asked the young Mum about her child's weight so that I could do my profession correct!! Guess what she answered me!
                    She turned so angry and shouted at me: why do you need to know, this is non of your business! etc.
                    she felt I want to know how much her kid is fat! and it seems to her I was jealous!!

Comment

Amoxicillin

Pari

Can you sell amoxicillin over the counter in Iran?
                      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Legally or really?!

I can say that they can't have amoxicilline over the counter legally but in reality they do! not me of course, because I am working in a special clinic where we do not have OTC at all! but this young lady (only 70 years old or so!) could always ask the GPs to prescribe this sort of medication.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite
                          ...Can somebody tell me why Mediphase deems it necessary to print "do not swallow" on labels for 71mm-diameter PVC ring pessaries? Just how many ostriches do they think the average pharmacy sees in a year?!?
                          I love the bendro + atenolol etc. interactions!

I am never going to ring a Dr to say "Do you realise that these 2 drugs you've prescribed for hypertension might combine to decrease this patient's blood pressure!

Or what about suppositories:"insert one high into the rectum (remove wrapper first)": DOOHHH!
                          I have had the conversation: "These suppositories don't melt."
                          "Did you take the wrapper off?"
                          "What wrapper?"

Never underestimate the general public to take things the wrong way!
                          Linnear MRPharmS

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

anecdotes various...

I was once asked by a junior dispenser what the words "per tussum" meant on a prescription, and I got some very awkward looks from customers when I replied "for cough" from the other end of the shop...

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite
                              I was once asked by a junior dispenser what the words "per tussum" meant on a prescription, and I got some very awkward looks from customers when I replied "for cough" from the other end of the shop...

I had the same problem a few weeks ago while handing out an Rx for Mrs Coff and her daughter. I shouted "For Coff!" before I realised what I was saying!
                              Linnear MRPharmS

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Working...
                              X