Finding work in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding work in the US

I got my foreign pharmacy graduate certification for the US. What's the best way for me to find an internship/job out there?

Re: Finding work in the US

Understand that different states hacve slightly different requiremeants. go to USA student pharmacist site and you will get all help you need.
    johnep

Comment

Sorry, which site is this, can you post the link?

Comment

THE PHARMACY FORUM - Index
        johnep

Comment

Thanks for the link!

Comment

To find an intership, the best way is to go through a community pharmacy chain or hospital in the area you are seeking to live. It is not common practice for these positions to be advertised on many sites. For example, Walgreen's, CVS, Rite Aid are major chains always looking to lure people into working for them long term by offering internships. Be careful though, they may flash large sign-on bonuses too in which you will be obligated to pay back should you take it and not like the job (which is very common with these chains as the burnout rate is high). However, they meet the need for your internship hours and then you can part ways.

Comment

I thought that Walgreens etc would make you sign a contract tying you to work with them for like year after completing internship with then as a condition for them to apply for sponsorship with them.

Comment

I consider this to be quite reasonable on their part.
                Done by multiples in UK sponsoring EU pharmacists.
                johnep

Comment

Originally posted by lrpolo View Post
                  I thought that Walgreens etc would make you sign a contract tying you to work with them for like year after completing internship with then as a condition for them to apply for sponsorship with them.

This is usually not the case. The sign-on bonuses they offer (sometimes in the neighborhood of $30,000) are what is used to obligate you for a set number of years (I believe usually 3 based on the students I've had). They also help some students with student loans while they are "in school". If you accept these, then I believe you owe them a year for each year you accept payment. In either case you can get out of these, however, you will be required to pay back the money. If you are simply looking for an internship, I think they would hire you to fulfill this just make sure you don't sign anything..

Comment

Ah, the good old don't sign anything trick. This is all very reassuring and informative, the thought of having to work for Walgreens for more than a year was quite depressing.

Comment

My understanding is that Walgreens is one of the better multiples.
                      johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                        My understanding is that Walgreens is one of the better multiples.
                        johnep
                        It depends what you consider better? They all overwork you, they all pay the same and they are all comparable in terms of retirement benefits. Walgreen's has many drive-thrus here which makes one feel like they are working in a bank. They have "stations" which you work and you are very much like a robot cranking out scripts. The bottom line is they all promise the world and no one is better than the other. Here in the U.S., you are better off working at a supermarket chain because there are no drive-thrus, they pay the same and you check less prescriptions per day (e.g. the volume is lower).

Comment

Must say that when in Florida, I used the pharmacies in the Publix supermarkets. Pharmacies had almost just a hatch and the paharmacist was hidden inside the dispensary. In UK we have much more open dispensaries and pharmacist well on view. guess it is a matter of security.
                          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                            Must say that when in Florida, I used the pharmacies in the Publix supermarkets. Pharmacies had almost just a hatch and the paharmacist was hidden inside the dispensary. In UK we have much more open dispensaries and pharmacist well on view. guess it is a matter of security.
                            johnep
                            You're exactly right. In many larger cities here, it would not be uncommon to find the pharmacist behind a glass window (sometimes bulletproof). It is a very common occurrence here for pharmacies to be robbed for their controlled medications (in inner cities mostly), which often happens in broad daylight.

Comment

I'm flying out to California in 2 weeks time for a holiday and to see if I can get a sponsor in the San Francisco area. Any tips anyone? I tried e-mailing hospitals but nobody replied, maybe I'll try phoning them instead.

Sharon

Comment

Working...
                              X