Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polish pharmacist

Hi everyone!
    I read recently in PJ that there's almost 300 of us in the UK! So maybe there's someone threre who wants to share his/her experience. I won't hide I'm very keen to listen to other people's stories. I'm quite new and just starting to work as an unsupervised pharmacist, so I'm hoping for some advice.
    So...read you soon

Re: Polish pharmacist

So what is happening back in Poland?. Is there now a shortage?
    johnep

Comment

Not yet, but I think it will happen soon. Anyway, maybe some of English pharmacists would like to have a try working in Poland? I'm only a bit worried about the salary, won't be that good, as yours

Comment

Problem for us is that the rest of the world learns English as a second language. languages not compulsory now in UK education and Polish would be only spoken by children of polish born parents.

Thus you can all come to us, but we can only go to work in countries where English is main language. No problem before the EU as we simply went to USA, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa etc.

With the end of reciprocal registration we are effectively imprisoned in UK.

Two way traffic has virtually ceased, in any case France for example would be the obvious place but even UK pharmacists living there find numerous obstacles placed in their way. This was a thread in prx some months back.

Our only escape is probably across the pond.
        johnep

Comment

By the way, did you know that there are more Brits living abroad than there are foreigners living in the UK?
          Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

All depends on what you mean as 'foreigner'.

Usually, someone not born in UK.
            johnep

Comment

in that case, I'm Swiss, my father is Chinese, and my mother is Congolese?!?
              I've never understood why people have this obsession about where one's mother happened to be when she gave birth...
              By "foreigners", I meant "those who do not have the British nationality"...
              Freddy Mercury was born in Zanzibar; was he British? Tony Blair was born in Edinburgh...
              Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                in that case, I'm Swiss, my father is Chinese, and my mother is Congolese?!?
                I've never understood why people have this obsession about where one's mother happened to be when she gave birth...
                By "foreigners", I meant "those who do not have the British nationality"...
                Freddy Mercury was born in Zanzibar; was he British? Tony Blair was born in Edinburgh...
                To Yorkshire folk everyone from the 'outside' is a foreigner.
                Just can't get a decent cup of tea any wheer else lass.

By the way, the USA is the only place where people don't look at my surname and say 'is that Polish'?
                Regrettably I'm 2nd generation and never learned the language, beyond a few pleasantaries.
                Speaking it would do me, reading it is too hard.
                Last edited by Pharmanaut; 19, March 2007, 10:50 PM.
                47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I seem to remember that if you wanted a job which needed security clearance, then at least your grandfathers had to be English. Believe this came in after Klaus Fuchs.
                  johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                    I seem to remember that if you wanted a job which needed security clearance, then at least your grandfathers had to be English. Believe this came in after Klaus Fuchs.
                    johnep
                    It took 7 months to get me through security clearance in 1985.
                    Can't tell you much more or I'd have to shoot you.
                    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I've been viewing forum archives a lot recently. I encountered different views you have on working with pharmacists from different countries. So I would like you to give your general opinion here on polish pharmacists - do you think that we are well trained? What skills do we lack? What are we good at? How would you compare us to other pharmacists?

Comment

as far as I know, from the author's first post to now, the number of polish pharmacists increased to 1500..

Comment

Originally posted by Cathedral View Post
                          What skills do we lack?
                          For almost anyone who has English as a second language - telephone skills.

Jeff

Comment

The ability to smile.
                            Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                              For almost anyone who has English as a second language - telephone skills.

Jeff
                              That's very true.. I'm not a polish but it took me 12months to get through this.. and probably another 12 months to feel completely (probably still not ) confident in answering the phone and dealing with the queries.

Comment

Working...
                              X