Transfer to Pharmacy School in U.S.A.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer to Pharmacy School in U.S.A.

I was looking for anyone that has tried to apply to pharmacy schools in the USA after completing a year or more at a pharmacy program here in the United Kingdom. If anyone has any experience in that matter, I would be interested to hear what you have to say. Thanks

have a look at student pharmacy web sites in USA. they will fill you in on all the requirements.
    johnep

Comment

Re: Transfer to Pharmacy School in U.S.A.

Hello,

I am a Pharmacist in the U.S.A.. I do believe that my Pharmacy College
      takes foreign transfers. It is in Ada, Ohio--a very very small college town but was a great college--one of the top 10 for pharmacy in the U.S. I believe. At least on somebodys list anyway. It is a very rich school and has a lot of charm.
      But if you have grown up in a large city, it may be too small for you. The town it is in has a population of about 3000 or so. My sister and I both went
      there for Pharmacy. The college was 4 hours away from our home. My
      husbands cousin who grew up in Italy and came to the U.S. after she graduated high school went to Ohio Northern University for pharmacy also.
      Their website is Ohio Northern University
      then click on Admission, then click on International Students
      Ohio Northern University is a very friendly college and they will help you with most anything. Plus, they are very motivated about attracting foreign
      students and giving scholarships. Mind you, it is one of the more expensive
      colleges and cost about $30,000 U.S. dollars for 1 year of tuition and room&
      board. And you have to complete 6 years to get a PharmD degree.

But like I said they are very interested in their foreign students and may give
      out scholarships to help pay.

Plus, if you work in the U.S., the average Pharmacist now makes about
      90,000 dollars a year to start. (I paid off my college loans quickly)

hope this helps. Mariann

Comment

According to the USA student forum I visit regularly, salaries are upto $130k.
        Problem in the UK is that really the govnmt sets the levels, in the USA the market rules.
        johnep

Comment

Which student USA forum do you use?

Comment

forum.studentpharmacist.com
            This site explains all about PCAT and NAPLEX which are (Pharmacy College Application Test) and the other I am not sure.
            johnep

Comment

I also work in the U.S. I can tell you the average salaries are >90K. I make about 115K including bonus. It is also standard practice to offer sign-on bonuses. Here, the problem is negotiating vacation. Typical starting vacation is 2 weeks, yes, you heard me! As far as the transfer, what was left out is that you must apply like all others. Therefore, you are on an even slate. This usually entails taking an entrance exam, taking grades into account and an interview. Most schools have at least an 8-10 applicant per position ratio. So you are welcome to apply as the other poster stated, you would pay out of state tuition. I would, however, look into other schools as this tuition seems quite high.

Comment

Working...
              X