Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PharmD offered by McGill University!

Is that true??

"In contrast to the American professional Pharm. D. program a Canadian Pharm. D. degree is a post-graduate degree. This program has been available from the University of British Columbia since 1991 and the University of Toronto. Montreal's McGill University is planning to offer the program beginning in September 2006."
    Adapted from wikipedia.org

Re: PharmD offered by McGill University!

Can you get licensed in the US after graduating with this Canadian PharmD?(for 4 yr pharmacy degree graduates)

Comment

Originally posted by aussiepharmer View Post
      Can you get licensed in the US after graduating with this Canadian PharmD?(for 4 yr pharmacy degree graduates)
      Short answer: YES; the PharmD degree here in the U.S. used to be a post-graduate degree when this was first instituted. However, now it is considered an entry-level degree. There may still be some options here for those who graduated with a bachelor's degree in pharmacy and now want to pursue a PharmD. One option I know exists are certain online programs which I believe takes about 2 years. You may want to check into this. One thing I don't like about them is that they "waive" some rotations based on experience and I find that the rotations are probably the most key in the learning and don't necessarily reflect what one might learn through experience. With that being said, however, you do end up with the same degree in the end. There are many U.S. universities that offer an online program, however you may wish to compare pricing between doing this and attending the Canadian program. Remember if you graduate from a Canadian program, PharmD or not, you will still probably have to take the FPGE here before starting the process. If you graduate here, I believe this is overlooked.
      Pharout

Comment

I went into the Mcgill uni website and I realized that there isn't even a faculty of pharmacy. Wikipedia says Montreal Uni has Pharm.D but it's taught in French. And Toronto uni and Uni brit columbia all require canadian pharmacist license for admission into their pharmD program.

What about if I graduate with PharmD in UK? Can you get licensed in US with this degree then?

Comment

I went into the Mcgill uni website and I realized that there isn't even a faculty of pharmacy. Wikipedia says Montreal Uni has Pharm.D but it's taught in French. And Toronto uni and Uni brit columbia all require canadian pharmacist license for admission into their pharmD program.

What about if I graduate with PharmD in UK? Can you get licensed in US with this degree then?
          I don't think there is any easy way around this. Your best bet, see if you can get into one of the online PharmD programs here. Not sure what the requirements are? It doesn't matter if you get a PharmD in the UK (I think they have only just started a "DPharm" degree), it is where it is being transferred from that is the issue. You would still have to go through the FPGEE and all of that. You may want to check into Florida here in the U.S. In the past, they were the only state (that I know of) that didn't require the FPGE certification as they also held their own separate licensing exam.

Comment

Thanks very much for your reply.
            How do you know(or where did you get this info regarding) that NON-US PharmD is acceptable for sitting the FPGEE?

Comment

Thanks very much for your reply.
              How do you know(or where did you get this info regarding) that NON-US PharmD is acceptable for sitting the FPGEE?
              I don't believe I actually said that, however, I personally know people from Canada (who graduated there with a pharmD) and sat for the exam. Your best bet is to get into one based here if you're going to do it. Also as I said, check into Florida's requirements as they may still waive this?

Comment

Yes. Florida DOES waive FPGEE if one graduates with their post PharmD. However, I was also thinking of the possibility of not getting admission into any of the US post PharmD programs. There are only about 2 to 3 schools in US including Florida that I know that offer these programs to foreign registered pharmacists.

Another question: Do those Canadian PharmD graduates have Bachelor's degree in pharmacy in Canada or outside of North America?
                (Because if they have a foreign undergrad 4 yr pharmacy degree, then the Canadian PharmD can also be an alternative)

Comment

Yes. Florida DOES waive FPGEE if one graduates with their post PharmD. However, I was also thinking of the possibility of not getting admission into any of the US post PharmD programs. There are only about 2 to 3 schools in US including Florida that I know that offer these programs to foreign registered pharmacists.

Another question: Do those Canadian PharmD graduates have Bachelor's degree in pharmacy in Canada or outside of North America?
                  (Because if they have a foreign undergrad 4 yr pharmacy degree, then the Canadian PharmD can also be an alternative)

I'm not sure if in Canada they are still offering the Bachelor's degree in pharmacy? If they did have it, these people probably got that in Canada. However, I think most of them went through entry level PharmD programs such as we have here.

Comment

Yep, the bachelor's degree in pharmacy is the degree for licensure. But I do not see why they would go for a doctorate degree again

Comment

This is an informative site! These types of sites always magnetize me.

Comment

Smells like a spammer!
                        johnep

Comment

it is a spammer. duly banned. hundreds of forums, single posts on all with same or similar words.
                          “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Now I understand, it is the number of links rather than visiting a site which influences Google ranking.
                            johnep

Comment

Working...
                            X