Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• irish pharmacy computer systems

Hi Fleeg

Have you ever used the new helix health computer system? Is it easy enough to pick up and is it similar to the old Qicscript DOS? I'm just a bit wary in case someone asks me to do a locum and I have to learn "on the job".

Apart from the 2 Mclernons systems, Qicscript dos and the new helix system, are there any other systems you have come across?

Lamzee

Re: irish pharmacy computer systems

Hey Lamzee..

Yes I have used the new Helix system a few times. You'll be pleased to hear it is almost EXACTLY the same as the systems solutions dos version. Only difference is it's a bit more colourful and vista-ish. Exit by clicking on a door icon etc.

I have seen the new McLernon's touch screen version, but didn't use it much, as had two dispensers that day, and thought it best they operated the computer to minimise any damage I might do. Looks straightforward though..if you can call McLernon's straightforward!

I have encountered one other system..only seen it twice, but unfortunately can't remember it's name. Suffice to say it was a nightmare to use..it's an old "constantly-online" program. For the few days I was there, we had to call the helpline four times, as the order would not transmit properly. Thankfully the shop closed for lunch, so the back up guy could perform remote repairs. I will find out the name of it and let you know..it's not a nice thing to walk into on a Monday morning!

Fleeg.
    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Oh good--the new Helix doesn't sound too bad then ! :-)

McLernons are OK, but are a pain in the neck if you have to process more than one scheme on a script! You have to do your (for example) DPSs first, print the receipts, then go back in and do LTI afterwards. I never bother touching the touchscreen -- I'm too old for that!--Easier to use the mouse or the alt key.

Comment

Know what you mean re McLernon's..Have you come across a problem with Systems dos printing weird amounts payable on DPS receipts? I think it has something to do with pressing "escape" instead of "enter" when prompted to print receipts. The system seems to include monies from previous months it thinks is still owing...strange one

The most annoying thing for me is McLernon's is a "forward" system (enter to proceed), whereas Systems is a "backward" system (escape to proceed). Otherwise, I'm as happy as a pig in guinness!
        Don't Stop Believing

Comment

I think I know what you mean about weird amounts payable--I have a tendency to check the price on the receipt and write it on the label or circle price on label, because I find that if you have to reprint something, the label comes up as DPS payable = zero. Strange....

Comment

Hey Lamzee..

I've just remembered the name of that other system..."Prometheus". I tried googling it, and only got a small software company in Phoenix, Arizona!..Have we taken the American links a bit too far? In any case, it appears to be a bit of a dinosaur, and not many businesses appear to use it.

Fleeg.
            Don't Stop Believing

Comment

Hi Fleeg

Haven't heard of that one ! Hopefully if it's a dinosaur, no-one will have it any more !?!

What percent of shops do you reckon are still on manual claims these days, by the way? A few?

On another note, a few years ago, I used to hear of Irish locums getting put up in reasonably nice hotels to do a week or two covering someone's holiday--have you heard of that happening much now? I could do with a working holiday in Ballsbridge :-)

Comment

Hey..

Re manual claims, I only know of one that still does it, and they would never trust a locum to submit it .

McSweeney group have always looked after their locums well regarding accommodation, expenses etc. They recently sold a few shops, however (BEFORE the recession hit). Not sure how they are fixed now..maybe worth a try? They have 2 shops that I know of in Donnybrook (D4) and others in Howth and Harold's Cross in Dublin...others throughout Ireland:

McSweeney Group HG

Maybe worth a try...don't quote me though..that WAS a few years ago!
                Don't Stop Believing

Comment

Hi Fleeg

I used the new Helix system today and lived to tell the tale ! It was fine once I stopped being scared of it ! :-)

What do Boots and Unicare (aka Lloyds) use?

Comment

Hey lamzee..sorry for delay in replying..been a bit busy lately..

Never worked with Boots or Unicare, and hopefully never will. Boots seem to sense I don't like them (they have done since 1986)..probably because I laughed at one of their managers once for wearing a white coat over a shirt, tie, V-neck sweater AND suit!!.. and whilst I have done some Lloyds work in the UK, I've never worked in a Unicare shop. I have been approached by them though..it put me off when the locum co-ordinator told me she didn't know what 'self-employed' meant.

I have tried to avoid working in multiples as a locum since they reared their heads in Ireland. I don't want to help fuel their fire. I believe that they are still just testing the water here, and could be gone just as quickly as they arrived. From what I've seen they rely much more on their 3 for 2 OTC deals than they do on prescription trade anyway. They have tried to launch in Ireland based on their UK business model, and are rapidly discovering that the Irish stick with their own a lot more than they anticipated.

My opinion is that they'll be out of here in the next couple of years, closely behind our eastern-european friends who are leaving in their droves already, chasing the promise of €2 an hour with Michael Dell. Let the new day dawn....ie. won't be long until we're back to the way it was!

Fleeg.
                    Last edited by Fleegle; 23, February 2009, 08:56 PM.
                    Don't Stop Believing

Comment

Hi Guys
                      Im sorry to jump on here, but you were talking Mclernons and I need a little help with something. Im really really unclear on some issues and I would desperately appreciate your help.
                      When you dispense something for a DPS patient on Mclernons, it prints 2 receipts, one goes to customer so they claim VAT back. We get them to sign the other copy and we keep that copy. I understand this.
                      My confusion is: when exactly does McLernons print 2 receipts? Does it do it every time we dispense something apart from GMS scripts?

Does Mclernons print 2 receipts each time we do a hospital emergency script,DPS, private patient, LTI etc?

Basically I need to know each scheme that Mclernons will print receipts for and what happens to each receipt, i.e. we keep one copy and give other to patient etc. Im clearly missing some part of the jigsaw since Im asking this question-are receipts only printed for situations where the patient has actually paid the Pharmacy (excluding GMS 50 cent charge), e.g. Privates, DPS and no receipts are generated for medical card related dispensing such as actual GMS scripts and hardship etc?

If this table is helpful, please add to it

Number of receipts Fate of receipts
                      GMS
                      DPS 2, 1-patient, 1-kept at Pharmacy
                      Hospital Emergency
                      LTI
                      Hardship
                      Health Amendment
                      Private 2, Patient can have both copies?
                      Aim as high as you wish

Comment

This thread is 3 years old :-) but here's the info.

GMS and GMS-3-part no receipt
                        dps 2 receipts - one to patient (for tax, not vat) one sent by pharmacy to PCRS
                        hosp emerg -- one receipt, attach photocopy of hosp rx and send to PCRS
                        lti one receipt, send to pcrs
                        hardship one receipt, attach invoice sent to appropriate office
                        HAA one receipt, send to pcrs
                        private one receipt, for patient

Comment

Hi Lamzee
                          many thanks for your help, its really appreciated. One thing to clarify: 'GMS and GMS-3-part no receipt'
                          So basically for a regular GMS and a 3 part GMS repeat, i.e. the green,blue,pink scripts, there is no receipt printed?

Im now pleased that ive got the info regarding when mps prints receipts. I guess the next thing I need to consider is why there is no receipt printed for GMS and GMS-3-part? There is probably a very obvious reason why no receipt is printed...im also wondering how we get reimbursed for GMS scripts? If we dont print a receipt, do we send the top copy of the GMS script itself to PCRS for reimbursement?

Happy Patricks day also, thanks for your time.
                          Proteuspal
                          Aim as high as you wish

Comment

[QUOTE]
                            Originally posted by Proteuspal View Post
                            Im now pleased that ive got the info regarding when mps prints receipts. I guess the next thing I need to consider is why there is no receipt printed for GMS and GMS-3-part? There is probably a very obvious reason why no receipt is printed...
                            Yes there is an obvious reason. Until the introduction of the 50c charge there was no payment, no need for a receipt. If a GMS patient really wants one you can print one out (same as re-printing a label, it asks if you want a re-print of the receipt, select yes). Can be useful if patient wants to re-order script or bring list of meds to an out-patient clinic.

im also wondering how we get reimbursed for GMS scripts? If we dont print a receipt, do we send the top copy of the GMS script itself to PCRS for reimbursement?
                            Well worked out. Send top copy to PCRS, keep duplicate for checking. Usually the technicians look after doing this so make it your business to be around on the first of the month to see how it is done. (Beware next month is April).

Comment

thank you hibernia and lamzee.
                              one last thing for now-i forget to include the high tech scheme when we were talking about receipts and what happens to those receipts.

When dispensing a high tech script, how many receipts are printed and why?

Is it dependent on whether the patient also has a medical card/LTI? If they are a private patient, do we treat as per usual private and if the items are greater than 132euro per month, get them signed up to DPS.

If they are medical card-no receipt printed?
                              If they are LTI registered-one receipt, send to PCRS?
                              If they are private, get them DPS registered, give one copy of receipt to patient and we retain one signed copy to be sent to PCRS?

Please correct me if im wrong.
                              Many thanks
                              Aim as high as you wish

Comment

Working...
                              X