No announcement yet.

Irish Pharmacy..Questions and Answers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Pharmacy..Questions and Answers.

Thinking about coming over? Whether professionally, or for a fact-finding holiday, if you have a question we will do our best to help..we have the inside information...Ask away lads!
    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Re: Irish Pharmacy..Questions and Answers.

Jobs have gone a bit scarce at the moment and the health service has a recruitment freeze at the moment so it might be worthwhile organising a full time position before you come over

Comment

Still dreaming about the Ireland sometimes...
      Went to Limerick 1.5years ago to speak to one agency about recruitment. It was pretty easy to get a job at that time and the salary was so much better...
      But never made that step to get registered with Irish ph society (even though still keeping all the paperwork somewhere

Comment

Mention of Limerick reminds me when I used to stay in Jurys hotel. I was selling vitamins to a dairy co in Askheaton.

One evening it was getting a bit jolly in the piano bar and they started singing Irish songs. I was not following the words, but they were republican ballads.

Now John, says one, do you know any good Irish songs.? (at the time I was pretending to have come from a posh suburb of Dublin). Well says I in blissful ignorance, I have only heard of 'The sash my father wore'. The atmosphere became distinctly frosty and excusing myself to go to the loo, I walked out of the hotel and along the river for an hour or so.

johnep

Comment

Strangely, Jury's Hotel in Limerick was where I stayed when I first moved to Ireland. (On the company dollar of course). Sadly, it has now been demolished, and replaced with the new 'Strand Hotel'. Here's a pic of how it looks now... it's a great spot for a couple of beers after a Munster match at Thomond Park, and you'll probably recognise the Sarsfield Bridge spanning the Shannon river...it hasn't changed. Also the walk you took along O'Callaghan's Strand along the new hotel front beside the river that night.

May I add you made the correct decision to 'take a walk' after a comment like that!

Fleeg....

Don't Stop Believing

Comment

just a quick question....

Is there anywhere I can get hold of any written info, or a quick guide to all the different prescription systems that you mentioned (GMS, Drugs Payment Scheme etc)
            and
            Is there a printed guide to Irish Pharmacy Law and legislation (similar to the "Medicines, Ethics and Practice" for the UK)

I've to go and make my declaration in front of the Commissioner for Oaths to complete my registration to say that I'm familiar with all this, and I wouldn't want to fib to them...

Cheers

Comment

There is a bit about the schemes at the back of the IPU yearbook, but it's best to "work-shadow" someone else for a while, then get their number to phone every time you get stuck.

PSI publish booklet on Irish pharmacy law--I got mine at registration. You can buy it from them for about 50 quid I think. Law isn't too difficult, but you need to get a handle on schemes before you start on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Twinkle View Post
                just a quick question....

Is there anywhere I can get hold of any written info, or a quick guide to all the different prescription systems that you mentioned (GMS, Drugs Payment Scheme etc)
                and
                Is there a printed guide to Irish Pharmacy Law and legislation (similar to the "Medicines, Ethics and Practice" for the UK)

I've to go and make my declaration in front of the Commissioner for Oaths to complete my registration to say that I'm familiar with all this, and I wouldn't want to fib to them...

Cheers
                After a few searches, could only find this..from IPU site. Lamzee is right..hands-on is really the only way.

Fleeg.

Medicines in Ireland Wednesday, 09 July 2008 All medicines in Ireland are regulated by the Irish Medicines Board (IMB) www.imb.ie . The objective of the IMB is to ensure the quality, safety and efficacy of medicines available in Ireland and to participate in systems designed to do that throughout the European Union.
                Before a medicinal product can be authorised for use, an application must be made to the Irish Medicines Board and this must contain all of the necessary data supporting its quality, safety and efficacy.
                The Health Service Executive manages the ‘General Medical Services’ (GMS) scheme which helps to pay for your prescription medicines. There are several ways in which the government in Ireland provides affordable medicines and makes them available.
                The Drugs Payment Scheme (DPS) allows individuals and families who do not hold medical cards to limit the amount they have to spend on prescribed drugs. Under the Drugs Payment Scheme, no individual or family has to pay more than €100 in any calendar month for approved prescribed drugs, medicines and appliances.
                Doctor Only’ cards is a means tested scheme and will enable people to obtain free GP care while continuing to pay for their medication. This scheme is in addition to the existing medical card scheme which gives free primary care including medicines to about 30% of the population and the Drugs Payment Scheme where Government funds medicine costing above €85 per month per individual or family. The latter scheme is not means tested.
                The Over 70s scheme ensures that people over the age of seventy, who live full time in Ireland, do not have to pay for the health care costs. The Hi-Tech scheme was introduced in to facilitate the supply of certain medicines e.g. those used in conjunction with chemotherapy, which had previously been supplied primarily in the hospital setting. There is also the Long Term Illness (LTI) scheme has been set up to provide access to medicines for persons who suffer from one or more chronic illnesses.
                Your pharmacists can advise you on your entitlement to benefits under the Medical Card, Drug Payment, Long Term Illness and other State Schemes. They can also advise you on how to get tax relief on medical expenses not covered by Health insurance or the State Schemes. For more online information you can visit the National Centre for Pharmaeconomics which gives detailed information on each scheme.

Links
                Don't Stop Believing

Comment

cheers chaps - that's brilliant.

oh - and my certificate finally turned up in the post, so I'm back on track with my registration. Just my work shadowing to sort out now.

Comment

Quick update - done a couple of days work shadowing now and the owner might be able to sort me out with at least a regular day a week.
                    Only after 2 days a week regularly anyway as going to keep my gardening customers on if possible, so I'm really happy today !!

Thanks for being a good source of help and advice, I'll def stick around on here x

Comment

Hi, I am a third year pharmacy student, studing in England. I am just wondering do I have to complete any transfer course, or anything like that, to work over in Ireland. I really want to live in Ireland and will do whatever it takes. Thanks in advance! xx

Comment

As far as I know you do not need to do anything apart from getting registered with irish society.

Comment

Preparing to sit at home or accept £10/hour if stories here are true.
                          johnep

Comment

You have to complete your pre-reg in UK, register there and then you can register in Ireland via EU free movement.

The law of supply and demand seems to have kicked in here with many Irish pharmacists moving to the UK or further afield. Salaries have fallen but not to anything like £10 an hour, about €25 would be a minimum.
                            The health system here is more complicated and you would be at a disadvantage not knowing how the various 'schemes' work but many Irish pharmacists qualified in the UK. At one time more were joining the register via EU route than were qualifying in Ireland but the opening of two new pharmacy schools changed all that.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. How long does it take to register with the Irish society, and how much would it cost?
                              I have discovered now that I can leave at the end of 3rd yr with a BSc in Pharmacy, is that enough for me to work in Ireland as a Pharmacist or would I need to complete MPharm? If I can work with a BSc, what happens with pre-reg year? Could I do pre-reg in Ireland? Could I complete the MPharm later on? Any help is really appreciated. I don't know where to begin looking for this type of information. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X