Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for NON-EEU Pharmacist

Hi, just call me lencilicious.

I am 29 years old licensed pharmacist and have gained more than 5 years experiences as pharmacist in my country (Philippines). I am currently residing here in Ireland as spouse of a green card holder. I am waiting for the release of the memorandum from PSI that registration for NON -EEU is open (early January 2009).
    I have many questions in mind. I will be glad and thankful if someone can answer even some of it.

1. I am preparing right now my documents that can be of use for accreditation. Does somebody here knows the previous requirements for registration?
    2. Granted that I am a licensed Pharmacist in my country, and if in case (hope not) my registration as pharmacist here in Ireland was not approved, can I register as Pharmacy Assistant/Technician?
    3. Is there anybody here who is a Non-EEU Pharmacist who was granted registration by PSI? Please help with the step by step procedure i must do.

Hope somebody here can help me.
    God bless.

Re: Help for NON-EEU Pharmacist

There was that draft around the end of 07, which I believe is not far from the final version: http://www.pharmaceuticalsociety.ie/...t_Oct07_D7.doc

Briefly, after the paperwork assesment you are invited to pass an exam (MCQs and OSCE). If you suceed you'll be asked to do 6 or 12 months pre-reg training and sit the final registration exam (as any irish graduate).

They plan to make the first exam fair to candidates according to their statement.

In the meantime, the wages continue to slip and getting a job much harder. Please be aware I'm in NZ and don't expect from me insider information.

Comment

shwampa,

thanks so much for a very useful link. from all your information, i can now plan what i must do for me to practice my profession here in Ireland. Looks pretty hard and lots of preparation to do.

another question, do you know any link for reviewer i can study for the MCQ / short question type examinations and Objective Structured Clinical Examinations (OSCEs) and the License Examinations?

I am really eager to learn much to pass all the examinations.
      thanks again.

lencilicious

Comment

Try to contact a pharmacist to show you how to do the scheme processing of prescriptions. It takes a while to pick up all the schemes and the paperwork, so it would be better to watch another pharmacist for a few days before you do any work, even as a pre-reg. It can be a bit obscure at first!

I'm hoping to pick up some work in the Co.Louth area soon--fingers crossed--not sure what the supply/demand for pharmacists is like around there! Hope age and experience count :-)
        Last edited by lamzee; 7, January 2009, 08:26 AM. Reason: i can't spell

Comment

Do you think i can practice as Pharmacy technician here in ireland while im working on the pharmacist registration? Or i need to undergo assessment also as Pharmacy Technician?

Is the practice of pharmacist in industrial world also needs the registration to the pharmaceutical society?

sorry i ask too much.

Comment

Without a specific technician qualification, you could work for minimum wage I expect...

Don't know about industry--probably depends on what job you do in it.

Get yourself a social security number (PPS number) (same as national insurance number) then phone around a few places.

Comment

hi lencilicious!
              I am a pharmacist from the Phils. and is currently residing here in ireland. i've been practicing as a pharmacy technician for nearly two years now. 3 years ago I had the same dilemma as you. I emailed the PSI and it is only this year that good news about qualification registration of non-eu's was announced. Try to visit their website again and read about it. They will be producing guidelines soon on how to get your Philippine qualifications assessed.

Comment

welcome to the group, make sure to visit the Irish pharmacy forum section.
                [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                [/COLOR]

Comment

Hi Avril.

Im glad to see a comment from you. If you don't mind me asking i am really interested how you got started working here in Ireland? Please help, i really want to have a job soon.

lencilicious

Comment

Avril,

How did you get your Pharmacy Technician Qualification? I need this qualification first before i can apply for the job. hope you can help me.

Comment

hi raoul! thanks for welcoming me!
                      hi lencilicious! It wasn't a very easy process to be honest. I found an employer who was willing to work out my papers. I didn't register as a technician here in Ireland because my employer was already satisfied with my qualifications as a pharmacist in the Phils. and instead, I trained in his pharmacy for 3 mos. then I went back to the phils. while waiting for my permit. So basically, your employer has to advertise in FAS then fill out the application form. But I suggest you apply for a greencard instead since you're a skilled worker. We didnt know about greencards at that time so we applied for a working permit. The Dept. of Enterprise will assess your qualifications. Visit their website for further details. I want to register as a technician here but since the PSI has released the bill for the qualification recognition for non-eu, im hoping to apply as a pharmacist someday.

Comment

tnx for the info avril.i am really waiting for your response. wow you are lucky to find a great employer. and it seems that my first hope is also to find a nice employer. well, if you don't mind me asking are you working in a hospital or community pharmacy? and as to work permit, actually for the moment i can acquire a spousal work permit since i am married to a pinoy green card holder. by the way, where are you staying here in ireland? i am living in dublin anyway. sorry for questioning alot. i am really praying for someone like you to at least answer my queries.

i already called PSI and the registration for non-eeu pharmacist will be opened soon but they did not know the exact date. do you have the draft of what they need for the registration? i have one , it might help you prepare ahead.
                        i can send it to your personal mail if you want.

Comment

hi again! im workiing in a community pharmacy. Im working in dundrum at the moment. my personal email address is, not supposed to be given out in public forums. pm me for my email.
                          Last edited by Sir_Dispensalot; 22, January 2009, 04:33 PM.

Comment

avril, i emailed you already the draft i am telling you.

Comment

Working...
                            X