warm vs cold Foods!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warm vs cold Foods!

is there any relation between Arginine (as warm foods) and lysine(as cold food)?
    i mean i heard from my grandmother if i got herpes labialis eat more yogurt!
    and avoid nuts,...
    which foods in our folk names as Warm & which cold foods?
    can we linke this old categorising to these Amino Acids which work opposite?
    any opinoin?

foodstuffs causing oromucosal problems

I can't say I've ever heard about "warm vs cold" foods, but I do know that certain foods do cause mouth ulcers (aphtus): walnuts, strong cheeses, a number of fruit containing proteolytic enzymes: grapefruit, papaya, even pineapple sometimes. I don't know how, but they do.
    I've also heard about yoghurt as a remedy: could it be because the lactobacillae and other microorganisms in yoghurt help restore a healthy protective microbial flora inside the mouth, therefore pushing out the bad ones? I know of gynaecologists who recommend yoghurt intra-vaginally to help treat and prevent vaginal candidiasis, thrush etc...; Similar mode of action?
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Yogurt!

thnx to Zoggit! i`m in agree with you about normalizing flora by yogurt. i often tell my patients to eat more yogur when they are on wide spectrum Antibiotics. even in vaginal infection, the normal flore of vagina is acidius, and full of lactobaciluses. when an organism for example candida vagialis growes. balance between vagin flora changes. and yogur can help here . but i`m not sure about this mechanism to heal aphtus sores.
      does grapefruit worsen aphtus by containing proteolytic enzymes or because of being a potent cyp450 inducer?

Comment

Re: warm vs cold Foods!

Originally posted by navid_o
        is there any relation between Arginine (as warm foods) and lysine(as cold food)?
        i mean i heard from my grandmother if i got herpes labialis eat more yogurt!
        and avoid nuts,...
        which foods in our folk names as Warm & which cold foods?
        can we linke this old categorising to these Amino Acids which work opposite?
        any opinoin?
        I think Navid's question's about the humours governing the body. Let me explain more: the ancient physician s and pharmacists –the Greek and the Iranian in particular- believed that there are four humeral systems governing the health, their names were: black bile, blood, yellow bile, and phlegm. They also believed the nature of the foods is different: some are cold, the others are warm.
        The four elements making the environment: earth, air, fire, and water. They were linked to the human's health in accordance to the humeral system.
        I read in a book that they are like the cholinergic and adrenergic systems. The food has great effects on make them imbalanced by their nature: as I mentioned some food has cold nature while the others have warm nature, so they can cause the humeral systems to react.
        Did I explain it in a proper way? I am trying to find more information to put in this topic. So be patient!

PS. form Oxford Dictionary:
        humour (US humor) (also cardinal humour): historical each of four fluids of the body (blood, phlegm, yellow bile or choler, and black bile or melancholy), formerly held to determine a person’s physical and mental qualities.
        – ORIGIN ME (orig. in the sense ‘bodily fluid’, surviving in aqueous humour and vitreous humour): via OFr. from L. humor ‘moisture’, from humere.

Comment

Traditional medicine:
          In the famous book written by Jorjani (or Gorgani according to the Persian's Pronunciation) and he was the first physician-pharmacist to describe urine analysis and its changes in diseases- four humours and nature for food and medicines are described: cold and wet, cold and dry, warm and wet, warm and dry. In this way they make their effects on the human's body.

Comment

[QUOTE=Zoggite]I can't say I've ever heard about "warm vs cold" foods,

I think he took the literal translation.

We have this in India too.
            Garam (warm) food will be things like fish, dates

and tandeh (cold) food i think is like ginger and garlic.

I will ask my parents they always go on about it now and again. I seem to tune out. But i will get back to you with this.

Comment

Like in the Theories of Galen and Paracelsus, the 4 humours (bile, phlegm etc...), where one would treat a "warm and wet" ailment, such as a fever, with a "cold and dry" medicine or drug?
              Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

[QUOTE=gaby]
                Originally posted by Zoggite
                I can't say I've ever heard about "warm vs cold" foods,

I think he took the literal translation.

We have this in India too.
                Garam (warm) food will be things like fish, dates

and tandeh (cold) food i think is like ginger and garlic.

I will ask my parents they always go on about it now and again. I seem to tune out. But i will get back to you with this.
                Was a problem in some countries that rehydration fluids wouldn't be taken because of the sugar - but changing the verbal description to honey worked a charm.

Raised dilemmas about honesty, patient eductation, and the preservation of life.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                X