Pharmacy in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmacy in Canada

Can anyone advise me on registration in Canada (self funded) and prospects. If I can qualify without contractual tie in (ie shoppers) I would much prefer it. How long will it take (studying aside) and am I right in thinking you only need to take exams in regions other than Quebec. I can talk French.

Re: Pharmacy in Canada

can u really talk french ? or scouse?

Comment

Originally posted by sph3jl View Post
      can u really talk french ? or scouse?
      Heard someone English in a French supermarket trying to speak to an assistant.
      Avez-vous un bou'ille de... (pronouncing bottle like we now do in England without saying the "tt" in the middle, bo'le). Got very annoyed with the assistant for not speaking her own language.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

How much more do Canadian pharmacists earn compared to those in UK in general?

I am an Aussie pharm graduate interested in living in Canada or UK, but not sure about which.

Comment

Believe Canadian rates about equal to USA, ie double UK rates. Also a canadian qualification very easy to transfer to any state in USA.
          johnep

Comment

Last edited by aussiepharmer; 25, February 2012, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aussiepharmer View Post
              Easy to transfer? But australian pharmacy graduates are not eligible to sit for the FPGEE, as they count the 4 years of curriculum only, NOT the pre-reg. Australian pharmacu curriculum is equivalent to that of the UK. EXACT same, but only the UK pharm degree is called Master of Pharmacy. I heard UK pharm grads are eligible for FPGEE b/c the NABP counts A-levels as a "prepharmacy" year. In the state of Victoria in Australia, VCE (similar to A-levels) is required to get admission to the pharmacy program, but NABP does not count VCE within the 5 yr requirement.

Nevertheless, would an aussie pharm grad having Canadian pharmacist license THEN be eligible to transfer to US?
              Sorry, hops like that are out of my experience.
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Yes, on taking relevant pharmacy board state law exam. Where you wnt to go? Google ....... pharmacy Board.
                johnep

Comment

Easy to transfer? But australian pharmacy graduates are not eligible to sit for the FPGEE, as they count the 4 years of curriculum only, NOT the pre-reg. Australian pharmacu curriculum is equivalent to that of the UK. EXACT same, but only the UK pharm degree is called Master of Pharmacy. I heard UK pharm grads are eligible for FPGEE b/c the NABP counts A-levels as a "prepharmacy" year. In the state of Victoria in Australia, VCE (similar to A-levels) is required to get admission to the pharmacy program, but NABP does not count VCE within the 5 yr requirement.

Nevertheless, would an aussie pharm grad having Canadian pharmacist license THEN be eligible to transfer to US?

Aussiepharmer,
                  You can read my posts in the student section/global section with regard to transferring license to the U.S. Bottom line is that even though the Canadian system is similar to ours, they are still "treated" as foreign graduates. I work with several who've transferred from Canada. They still have to take the FPGEE, do internship of 1500 hours, sit for the NAPLEX and take the applicable state law exam. No way around this, even though it is ridiculous. I'm not sure that having a Canadian license will exempt you from this as the FPGEE looks at your "qualifications" not your license. My wife took this exam. Once you pass it, in their eyes, your education has been deemed equivalent. You just need to make sure that having this Candadian license will make you eligible to sit for the exam. Sounds like it would be the same if you transferred your license to the UK and then here?? Check the NABP website to see if they clarify this. Don't bother calling them, as they are useless. My wife spent numerous hours on the phone trying to get answers from them and she was treated like a red-headed stepchild since she was foreign.

Comment

Red Headed stepchild? Anne of Green Gables?
                    johnep

Comment

Do all US states require FPGEE for canadian licensed pharmacists?

Comment

Do all US states require FPGEE for canadian licensed pharmacists?
                        I believe so....it is a standard requirement across the board.

Comment

Hey

Im currently a pharmacy student in canada, so we've just gone over all of this in class haha. it's true we still have to write the exams and all that sha bang. However, in regards to the interning hours there is one other option shorten this 1500 hr requirement. Due to the shortages in Wasington state, they only require Canadian certified pharmacists to do 300 hrs of interning (yay) so instead of a year, it'll only take a few months. ALSO after getting licensed in washington you are allowed to practice in abother if you wish... im not exactly sure, but you maybe have to write a law exam for the specific state you want though. Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by lt17 View Post
                            Hey

Im currently a pharmacy student in canada, so we've just gone over all of this in class haha. it's true we still have to write the exams and all that sha bang. However, in regards to the interning hours there is one other option shorten this 1500 hr requirement. Due to the shortages in Wasington state, they only require Canadian certified pharmacists to do 300 hrs of interning (yay) so instead of a year, it'll only take a few months. ALSO after getting licensed in washington you are allowed to practice in abother if you wish... im not exactly sure, but you maybe have to write a law exam for the specific state you want though. Hope this helps
                            What if you have a Canadian pharmacist license but with a 4 year degree? Can you still be licensed in US?
                            If not, will a Canadian PharmD help?

Comment

Nope, all you need is the BSc Pharm. I think it is because all of the pharmacy programs in Canada require a minimum of one year in post-secondary to complete all of the prerequisites. If you get in after one year and then you do the 4 year program, it is equivalent to 5 years, so that may be why. I don't think pharmD would be necessary, because the canadian BScPharm is equivalent to the american PharmD. Because the states used to have a BSc & a PharmD and the difference between them was that the PharmD had more clinical/patient approach and the BSc (in the US) didnt. But the Canadian BSc already had that incorporated into it's program. OH I love how my class is actually useful.

Comment

Working...
                              X