Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working in Australia?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Working in Australia?

    Does anyone have any experience working as a UK-qualified pharmacist in Australia and/or know anything of the application procedure?

    I'm interested to hear what it's like and I also heard somewhere that a certain number of years experience after pre-reg is required (maybe a year?) but can't find anything to confirm that.

  • #2
    Re: Working in Australia?

    Originally posted by snowy View Post
    Does anyone have any experience working as a UK-qualified pharmacist in Australia and/or know anything of the application procedure?

    I'm interested to hear what it's like and I also heard somewhere that a certain number of years experience after pre-reg is required (maybe a year?) but can't find anything to confirm that.
    Looked into it a few years ago, and it was 4 weeks supervised practice, letter of good standing from RPSGB and I think the state law exam, then off you went and was a pharmacist. Now its different since the RPSGB wisely decided that Aus and NZ pharmacists were not EU pharmacists and so had more stringent requirements. Best to check RPSGB website about this.

    Not sure if Irish Republic still has reciprocal - might be a good starting point if there are large obstacles as a UK pharmacist.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

    If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Working in Australia?

      Thanks, I did some investigating and found this. For anyone interested, currently applicants would need to follow Route B outlined in the link and the procedure is more complicated than a few years ago involving more tests and an interview. At the beginning of the document, one year's post-registration experience is stated to be required, although that was under the reciprocal agreement and it's not clear if this has changed with the end of the agreement.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Working in Australia?

        Originally posted by snowy View Post
        Thanks, I did some investigating and found this. For anyone interested, currently applicants would need to follow Route B outlined in the link and the procedure is more complicated than a few years ago involving more tests and an interview. At the beginning of the document, one year's post-registration experience is stated to be required, although that was under the reciprocal agreement and it's not clear if this has changed with the end of the agreement.
        Looks a lot more complicated now.
        I know that a lot of Australian pharmacists worked here as they did the 'world tour' and most employers allow time as a sabbatical because they get well rounded people back at the end of it. For us now, the cost and the inability to work at your normal salary would put a lot of people off - especially those with partner and children. Probably best to a) get registered there _very_ early in your career. b)if there is a skills shortage get someone to sponsor you. c)if you've got relys (relatives) over there who can put you up cheaply it makes it even more worth looking into.

        Would the last person to leave the UK please remember to switch off the lights, stop the milk and cancel the newspapers. Thanks.
        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

        If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Working in Australia?

          Yes looking at palm trees and blue seas in Queensland seems very attractive at the moment. When UK house prices shot up in the late sixties, we considered emigrating to take advantage of the differential. However, the vietnam war made me nervous and also that, at that time there was a post war surplus of Oz pharmacists. i could have gone as a science teacher but to South Australian housing trust. In the end I stayed here. Probably one of my poorer decisions. 50 years younger and I would go ASAP.
          johnep

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Working in Australia?

            Having spent 6 months in Oz late 2006/early 2007 I'm also considering going back out there to work. I didn't work as a pharmacist last time so have no experience of the Aussie way of doing things but from what I've seen, standard of living is better over there and, currently at least, house prices are cheaper - if I sold my little 2 bed apartment in a rather poor part of town I could actually buy something pretty decent over there for less money.

            Snowy - have you considered joining the Pharmaceuitcal Society of Australia as an International member? It doesn't give you the right to practice but certainly allows you to keep up to date with what's going on out there and if you ever wanted to work out there it might give you a little bit of an advantage? Just a thought

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Working in Australia?

              If you want to become licensed in Australia, think again. There's a great surplus of pharmacists and I am desperate to get out of here, also due to seroius inflation problems. And I am actually not an Aussie, but studying in Australia at the moment.

              Please read the following carefully
              Pharmacist Salary! | Facebook

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Working in Australia?

                Hi guys,

                I'm just wondering, how long does the whole licensing process take in australia, assuming I pass everything the first time round? I'm from Singapore, and it seems like getting a license in australia is alot cheaper than getting one from uk. So, I'd just like to know how long the whole process takes.

                And, I've heard of many people opening independent pharmacies there, are the rules more relaxed there?

                And also, how's the pay like for a retail pharmacist?

                I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for these questions, but I couldnt find other relevant forums. Hope someone will be so kind as to help me out here!

                Thanks!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Working in Australia?

                  Originally posted by aussiepharmer View Post
                  If you want to become licensed in Australia, think again. There's a great surplus of pharmacists and I am desperate to get out of here, also due to seroius inflation problems. And I am actually not an Aussie, but studying in Australia at the moment.

                  Please read the following carefully
                  Pharmacist Salary! | Facebook
                  Just read it....Ok last post 2007, but looks like you're talking Aus $38 per hour if you're doing well...that's equivalent of €19.60 or Stg £18.40....The quality of life in Oz would want to be good based on a pittance like that..
                  Don't Stop Believing

                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Working in Australia?

                    Originally posted by Fleegle View Post
                    Just read it....Ok last post 2007, but looks like you're talking Aus $38 per hour if you're doing well...that's equivalent of €19.60 or Stg £18.40....The quality of life in Oz would want to be good based on a pittance like that..
                    My stepdaughter has just returned from a trip to Sydney, Oz (where does she get the money, etc etc) and said that the Cost of Living is higher there than here!

                    But the weather is better/hotter and the NHS equivalent rules make more sense, I believe (neither of those being particularly difficult to achieve).
                    ....just my opinion

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Working in Australia?

                      So what is the salary expectancy for a retail pharmacy manager in Australia? (Based on my currency-converter rate of Stg £1 = Aus $2.07).

                      What would you expect to pay in Australia for basic day-to-day requirements eg milk, bread, beer, fags etc. etc......?
                      Don't Stop Believing

                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Working in Australia?

                        Originally posted by DavidS View Post
                        My stepdaughter has just returned from a trip to Sydney, Oz (where does she get the money, etc etc) and said that the Cost of Living is higher there than here!

                        But the weather is better/hotter and the NHS equivalent rules make more sense, I believe (neither of those being particularly difficult to achieve).
                        But wouldn't that depend on the region? What if you compare Sydney with London?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Working in Australia?

                          Hi aussiepharmer,

                          I'm from Singapore, I think you're prob in the best position to answer all our questions. Would you be so kind as to let us know what the salary's like for retails there? And the cost of living for staying somewhere quiet.

                          Thanks

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Working in Australia?

                            When I looked into emigrating to Oz, told pharmacists not required as too many already. However, I could go as teacher to South Australian Housing Trust.

                            Decide, that East ,West, home's best.
                            johnep

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Working in Australia?

                              Originally posted by johnep View Post
                              When I looked into emigrating to Oz, told pharmacists not required as too many already. However, I could go as teacher to South Australian Housing Trust.

                              Decide, that East ,West, home's best.
                              johnep

                              Looked into South Australia around 12 years ago.
                              They were keen at the time as they got two pharmacists at once.
                              Probably their own schools have turned out enough pharmacists now.
                              My old school chum moved out there around 8 years ago and became a postie (postman).
                              He starts at 0530 and finishes by 1300. Plenty of time for surfing and such.
                              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                              How times change.

                              If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X