Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Help Needed !!!

Hi

Has anyone out there got experience with this vBulletin software? I'm trying to re-structure the forum but am having problems. If anyone else has experience of running a board like this one, help would be appreciated!
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Sorry I've not been on here for a while

what exactly are you trying to do? maybe I can point you in the right direction
    _____

Comment

Originally posted by richtagg View Post
      Sorry I've not been on here for a while

what exactly are you trying to do? maybe I can point you in the right direction
      Hi

Sorry I missed your post but thanks. What I want to do is change the style of it. You can download free skins for it, but they are usually rubbish.

What I want is to have a nice green pharmacy design, and a few pharmacy photos along the top. I have contacted a couple of people who do this and they want $200+ for doing that.

I want to change this free skin, and change the Dr to a pharmacist, and put a line of pharmacy photos along the top.

http://www.forumshelp.com/vb2/index.php?styleid=2

The photos are cheap at just about 1 or 2 $ each, but I don't know how to change the colour etc.
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Admin,
        I suppose it's too late to change to phpbb?
        http://www.phpbb.com/

Jeff

Comment

editing an existing theme is relatively easy to do.

All you need is some form of image editing software such as photoshop or fireworks.

You then replace the images which come with your template with the ones you want and ftp the lot together.

You can also change the style sheet (css) to change the colour of backgrounds, fonts etc.

My opinion on these things is the simpler it looks the better!
          _____

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
            Admin,
            I suppose it's too late to change to phpbb?
            http://www.phpbb.com/

Jeff
            Jeff

We started off with that forum as it's free. This one costs money, but is a lot more powerful, and the most popular message board there probably is. Nearly all serious boards use vBulletin that I've seen, which is why I changed to it.

Comment

Originally posted by richtagg View Post
              editing an existing theme is relatively easy to do.

All you need is some form of image editing software such as photoshop or fireworks.

You then replace the images which come with your template with the ones you want and ftp the lot together.

You can also change the style sheet (css) to change the colour of backgrounds, fonts etc.

My opinion on these things is the simpler it looks the better!
              Ok thanks - I'll give it a go when I have time!

Comment

The Skin

Originally posted by admin View Post
                Hi

Sorry I missed your post but thanks. What I want to do is change the style of it. You can download free skins for it, but they are usually rubbish.

What I want is to have a nice green pharmacy design, and a few pharmacy photos along the top. I have contacted a couple of people who do this and they want $200+ for doing that.

I want to change this free skin, and change the Dr to a pharmacist, and put a line of pharmacy photos along the top.

http://www.forumshelp.com/vb2/index.php?styleid=2

The photos are cheap at just about 1 or 2 $ each, but I don't know how to change the colour etc.
                I'm not a luddite.
                The current layout is easy on the eye, and is not distracting to read.
                Just replace the vBulletin with a nice logo and you have it!
                Whizzy just makes it look too busy.
                If you change to red text on a yellow background I won't visit anymore!!!
                Last edited by Pharmanaut; 9, December 2006, 04:59 PM. Reason: spelling
                47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                  I'm not a luddite.
                  The current layout is easy on the eye, and is not distracting to read.
                  Just replace the vBulletin with a nice logo and you have it!
                  Whizzy just makes it look too busy.
                  If you change to red text on a yellow background I won't visit anymore!!!
                  I agree with Pharmanaut, changing the vbulletin logo is probably all you need!
                  _____

Comment

Re: Computer Help Needed !!!

Well friend, migrate to an alternate forums package. Specifically, vBulletin, which has proven to be quite scalable and effective with larger sites. The main drawback to this is the fact that it is a commercial software package, which tends to raise the ire of some of the more zealous OSS folks out there. So, my question to you is, how would you feel if we were to do this? Horribly offended? Saddened because there isn't an OSS program to meet our needs, but pragmatic about the need to do *something*? Or C, none of the above?
                    [url=http://www.vercomco.com]information technology consulting[/url]

Comment

Re: Computer Help Needed !!!

Originally posted by danial.watson View Post
                      Well friend, migrate to an alternate forums package. Specifically, vBulletin, which has proven to be quite scalable and effective with larger sites. The main drawback to this is the fact that it is a commercial software package, which tends to raise the ire of some of the more zealous OSS folks out there. So, my question to you is, how would you feel if we were to do this? Horribly offended? Saddened because there isn't an OSS program to meet our needs, but pragmatic about the need to do *something*? Or C, none of the above?
                      Hi Daniel, and welcome to the forum.

This is vBulletin, and the green colour and logo are the changes. When this thread started we were with the standard blue.

I guess the change must have worked ok if you didn't recognise it!

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X