what does this mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what does this mean?

What does the following mean? I tried to send an email and got this back from "mail marshall"

Could not be delivered because of
    Server refused mail at END OF DATA - 554 5.4.6 Hop count exceeded - possible mail loop

Re: what does this mean?

The code 5.4.6 is an NDR (non delivery report) and if the first digit begins with 5, as it does here, then there's no chance of getting the message sent.
    Have you tried sending the message from a different account ? I'm not much of a computer whiz unfortunately but you could try looking at the following

http://www.tech-archive.net/pdf/Arch...5/msg02657.pdf

Troubleshooting message journaling in Exchange Server 2003 and in Exchange 2000 Server

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

I use google mail, and wondered if it meant that the recipient would only accept mail from outlook or something?

Thanks. I hate technology!

Comment

Have you just upgraded your spam protection? It looks like some sort of protection upgrade or patch is preventing you from sending mail. If you temporarily disable your spam filter, you should be able to send mail, but you may have to re-configure your outgoing mail settings before re-enabling it. If it was all working fine before, something has definitely changed! (Having just read your post above, it could also just be Google messing around again)!

Fleeg.
        Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Thanks Fleeg -- I have a friend calling next week to download a printer driver, so I can ask about the spam filter then. I'm rather techno-phobic !!

Comment

Note you are classed as a King among members, isn't this a bit sexual stereotyping these days, perhaps you should be Queen or Empress. Or even High Person.
            johnep

Comment

Is it just one Email or are all your emails being bounced?
              If it's only one address that causes the problem then it is their Mail server that is at fault.

The "Hop count" is the maximum number of servers the Email will go through before delivery is aborted.
              "Mail-Loop" is where a server send the email back to the server it received it from which then returns it. Each time this happens the hop count increases until it is exceeded and the mail is bounced return to sender. A misconfigured server can get itself into an internal loop forwarding mail to itself.
              [I]Nice information. I like your information very much. It is a perfect information that clears all my doubts and gives a clear idea regarding that. It is really advantageous for me.I would definably take the benefit of it.[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                Note you are classed as a King among members, isn't this a bit sexual stereotyping these days, perhaps you should be Queen or Empress. Or even High Person.
                johnep

...or maybe we could all have pharmacy terms--I could be "area manager amongst members", and new poster could be "pre-reg amongst members.

Comment

Originally posted by LeftArm View Post
                  Is it just one Email or are all your emails being bounced?
                  If it's only one address that causes the problem then it is their Mail server that is at fault.
                  I think it is just to one address--other emails I sent yesterday are OK.

Comment

Working...
                  X