Help! I need somebody

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I need somebody

Problem with Outlook Express. when I start putting in the name of the person to whom I am sending, OE helpfully starts add ing the name automatically. However, not all the names in the address book pop-up in thsi way and it often says name doesnt exist and to do a search, name then finally appears and I have to select to go into the email.

My question is: how do I edit a name so it becomes the automatic choice.? have looked through properties but can see nothing. help Please.
    johnep

Re: Help! I need somebody

Short answer is, I don't think you can...hope I'm wrong though....
    Try Office Outlook for this facility, as the predictive search should find the person you are looking for almost immediately. Failing that, work directly from contacts, or address book, whichever you use (small book icon to left of "To...").

Outlook Express is a watered-down version of Office Outlook, and has more glitches than you could shake a stick at.

Fleeg.
    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Originally posted by Fleegle View Post
      Short answer is, I don't think you can...hope I'm wrong though....
      Try Office Outlook for this facility, as the predictive search should find the person you are looking for almost immediately. Failing that, work directly from contacts, or address book, whichever you use (small book icon to left of "To...").

Outlook Express is a watered-down version of Office Outlook, and has more glitches than you could shake a stick at.

Fleeg.
      So which is the best (free) email client? I use outlook express at home, and opera's built in email on my eee pc.
      One of my friends uses pegasus, but I haven't tried it yet.
      ....just my opinion

Comment

Do it the idiots way like I do just cancel the automatic search and go into address book a click on the names you want to email to. May take longer but on the other hand shorter if you have to mess about finding a lost address you know is there.
        Make some one smile today.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidS View Post
          So which is the best (free) email client?
          Mozilla Thunderbird (e-mail version of Firefox)

Jeff

Comment

i'll second that Jeff! Thunderbird (and firefox) seem to lead where microsoft follow these days (at least when it comes to email & browsers)
            “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
              Mozilla Thunderbird (e-mail version of Firefox)

Jeff
              never tried thunderbird myself. I normally use Opera as a browser, Operausb, in fact, which I can run off a stick anywhere which has a connection. It has a built-in email client which I use for such as this, but not for my main emails.

Anyone tried both? Is it worth the learning curve (and setting-up time)?
              ....just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                Problem with Outlook Express. when I start putting in the name of the person to whom I am sending, OE helpfully starts add ing the name automatically. However, not all the names in the address book pop-up in thsi way and it often says name doesnt exist and to do a search, name then finally appears and I have to select to go into the email.

My question is: how do I edit a name so it becomes the automatic choice.? have looked through properties but can see nothing. help Please.
                johnep
                For their name to pop up in this fashion the contact will probably need to be in your contact/address book - as this is where the options Outlook is presenting you with are taken from. The address book was fairly easy to find in Outlook the last time i used it so you shouldn't have a problem there. The name may not pop up because there might be multiple name fields that haven't been filled in, so the search criteria is not met. If missing information isn't the key then i am not sure what is going on.

However I can vouch for ThunderBird, and I prefer to use it.

I find it much easier to use and control than any Outlook ever. Thunderbird also has regular automatic updates, and has many labelling, making, sorting, filtering, and forwarding options built in. You can also make HTML signatures pretty easilly in Thunderbird if you have a very basic understanding of HTML.
                I like beef and i like liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver.

Comment

Try an elimination process working out which fields are correctly populated for each of the contacts you mention.

It maybe that you have the "nickname" filled out for one, but not for the other...

If you have three Peter's in your book Peter Jones, Peter King, and Peter Lyall, and only Peter King is set up with a nickname of "Pete", then I would imagine (cant test though at the moment as Im running Vista), then as you entered Pete - the system would presume that you wanted one with that nickname.

So, basically, ensure info for each contact is complete and update, and make nick names unique e.g. petej, petek or petel.

Just a guess by the way

Comment

Working...
                  X