• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medman
    started a topic Social Media for Community Pharmacy

Social Media for Community Pharmacy

Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions and would love to know your thoughts.

1) What do you think the benefits of Social Media for Community Pharmacy are?

2) Why do you think that Community Pharmacies are yet to embrace Social Media?

I believe Social Media can play a huge role in Pharmacy and is an area of interest for me.

Thanks for your time

• johnep
    replied
    Well they do say store Spam in a cool place.
    johnep

Leave a comment:

• Pharmanaut
    replied
    Originally posted by Riennonela View Post
    I really like this service because it’s very cool to send messages to your friends, especially on holidays. I used a trial version - I liked it, I recommend it.
    Cool?
    Is it temperature dependent?

Leave a comment:

• johnep
    replied
    Social media already blamed for some deaths. I prefer just to email and be on a forum like this.
    johnep

Leave a comment:

• Riennonela
    replied
    I really like this service because it’s very cool to send messages to your friends, especially on holidays. I used a trial version - I liked it, I recommend it.
    Last edited by admin; 18th, February 2019, 04:23 PM. Reason: Link removed

Leave a comment:

• johnep
    replied
    No. I was often home stretched out in the garden on a lounger with tea at 4pm. No Saturdays, of course. When my daughter was small, I once did not get out to work the London Hospitals until 10 am. By 2 pm I had seen thirteen and set out for home. Needed to get out of London or Cambridge by 4 pm to avoid traffic jams.
    johnep

Leave a comment:

• Pharmanaut
    replied
    Originally posted by johnep View Post
    When I was a rep would work at home until 9pm with follow up letters to hospital Drs seen etc.
    johnep
    Different strokes for different folks...
    Would you be able to do that after a day of 'full on pharmacy'?

Leave a comment:

• johnep
    replied
    When I was a rep would work at home until 9pm with follow up letters to hospital Drs seen etc.
    johnep

Leave a comment:

• Pharmanaut
    replied
    Originally posted by hibernia View Post

You don’t. It is what you do to pass the time in the evenings and your days off.
    So the simple answer is to extend the working day? <Rhetorical question>
    The hourly rate plunges even further then.

Leave a comment:

• hibernia
    replied
    Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post

Still wondering how to fit this into the working day?
    You don’t. It is what you do to pass the time in the evenings and your days off.

Leave a comment:

• Pharmanaut
    replied
    Originally posted by BrianA View Post

Social media should be welcomed as a tool to raise awareness about community pharmacy, lobby for community pharmacy, market community pharmacy and expand community pharmacy through eCommerce. It can give access to your services and supplies when your bricks and mortar operation is closed. It can provide new business opportunities to struggling businesses that at the moment are relying on income from an ever reducing source (NHS England). It can also provide new opportunities to collaborate with different businesses within the health and retail sectors.

Fear: Extra costs - it doesn't need to be expensive.
    Ignorance/lack of confidence: Many pharmacists and pharmacy businesses do not understand how it can work to their advantage
    Risk averse: Many pharmacists and pharmacy businesses do not wish to do anything other than their traditional way of working and step outside their comfort zone
    Lack of resources: Many pharmacists and pharmacy businesses believe they do not have the time and resources. They do not consider developing current staff or outsourcing
    Image: Many pharmacist already have an aversion to the commercial image of pharmacy, outside the core NHS, which is why many are choosing a career working in multi-disciplinary teams within General Practice, community, urgent care and social services environment. Who can blame them when they see the investment in healthcare going in that direction.

The good news is there are lots of up and coming start ups and entrepreneurial pharmacists that will embrace change including social media and flourish in the future
    Still wondering how to fit this into the working day?

Leave a comment:

• BrianA
    replied

Social media should be welcomed as a tool to raise awareness about community pharmacy, lobby for community pharmacy, market community pharmacy and expand community pharmacy through eCommerce. It can give access to your services and supplies when your bricks and mortar operation is closed. It can provide new business opportunities to struggling businesses that at the moment are relying on income from an ever reducing source (NHS England). It can also provide new opportunities to collaborate with different businesses within the health and retail sectors.

Fear: Extra costs - it doesn't need to be expensive.
    Ignorance/lack of confidence: Many pharmacists and pharmacy businesses do not understand how it can work to their advantage
    Risk averse: Many pharmacists and pharmacy businesses do not wish to do anything other than their traditional way of working and step outside their comfort zone
    Lack of resources: Many pharmacists and pharmacy businesses believe they do not have the time and resources. They do not consider developing current staff or outsourcing
    Image: Many pharmacist already have an aversion to the commercial image of pharmacy, outside the core NHS, which is why many are choosing a career working in multi-disciplinary teams within General Practice, community, urgent care and social services environment. Who can blame them when they see the investment in healthcare going in that direction.

The good news is there are lots of up and coming start ups and entrepreneurial pharmacists that will embrace change including social media and flourish in the future

Leave a comment:

• Pharmanaut
    replied
    Originally posted by johnep View Post
    Local surgeries were DDs. They refused to send any fax on grounds that they were confidential .Ie We could not be trusted!
    johnep
    The fax in question was from a Nurse independent prescriber who told the patient that 'it would be faxed straight away'.
    No criticism intended to the Nurse who was probably rushing round from patient to patient.
    However, someone in authority says 'straight away' the patient expects that to happen.
    Hence, not receiving the fax was a failing of the pharmacy.

As faxes contain may confidential information, such as patient name, DoB, address and medication details, it is best if proper prescriptions were used instead. <g>
    That would prevent the 'clean up' activity that continues long after the patient has been supplied against the fax.

Leave a comment:

• johnep
    replied
    Local surgeries were DDs. They refused to send any fax on grounds that they were confidential .Ie We could not be trusted!
    johnep

Leave a comment:

• mcitr
    replied
    Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post

We have been asked 'Why haven't you received the fax yet?'.
    Fax is yet another dated piece of tech causing pharmacies a lot of problems. If you don't have before/after phone calls a lot of faxes fail to arrive. If you do have the phone calls that takes up time. Surgeries will often not post the scripts, even though it is doing them a favour because they are very argumentative about their stamps budget. This results in a raw loss to the pharmacy for many scripts.

I have been asked many times why haven't we received the fax yet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X