Social Media for Community Pharmacy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post

I'm sure it will help but I can't see pharmacy making this investment.
    I don't think it will reduce the volume of phone calls - we will get the same number plus the other media on top.
    Sorry if there is a lack of perceived enthusism.
    Owners are already understanding its importance as another marketing and communication medium and they're now paying for it. Won't be fro everyone of course but to compete in this dog-eat-dog world, it's something that has to be considered.

Comment

I'm sure it will help but I can't see pharmacy making this investment.
      I don't think it will reduce the volume of phone calls - we will get the same number plus the other media on top.
      Sorry if there is a lack of perceived enthusism.
      I don't think the investment will be made.

I think the overall burden of queries will increase, I didn't say otherwise. I'm really making comparisons to other businesses and systems in existence. For example many GPs surgeries have banned telephone ordering prescriptions at any time of day. No one thinks surgeries sit around all day, this time is just used to answer the ever growing list of other queries. Many other businesses have option 1,2,3 to screen calls even some pharmacies do! Voice recognition is another partial solution.

In terms of pharmacy telephone queries I outlined above, it can cause a bottleneck in dispensaries, where there's just 1 slow computer to do everything and then any query slows down dispensing. It is a crazy way of doing business. It does have to be said a lot of these queries are caused by lack of tech in the NHS.

Comment

Originally posted by mcitr View Post

In terms of pharmacy telephone queries I outlined above, it can cause a bottleneck in dispensaries, where there's just 1 slow computer to do everything and then any query slows down dispensing. It is a crazy way of doing business. It does have to be said a lot of these queries are caused by lack of tech in the NHS.
        Being a helpful pharmacy can result in an ever increasing query burden.
        Plus there is the risk of a complaint escalation and ending up on a 'performance management' plan if you are anything less than helpful.
        Every complaint from a customer is taken as a failing of the pharmacy team, even though the root case of the complaint is not.
        There is no slack in the system to take on more queries and to get the rest of what has been taken on completed.

Most queries are 'where is my prescription' - which as you know can tie up quite a lot of staff time.

We have been asked 'Why haven't you received the fax yet?'.
        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

We have been asked 'Why haven't you received the fax yet?'.
          Fax is yet another dated piece of tech causing pharmacies a lot of problems. If you don't have before/after phone calls a lot of faxes fail to arrive. If you do have the phone calls that takes up time. Surgeries will often not post the scripts, even though it is doing them a favour because they are very argumentative about their stamps budget. This results in a raw loss to the pharmacy for many scripts.

I have been asked many times why haven't we received the fax yet.

Comment

Local surgeries were DDs. They refused to send any fax on grounds that they were confidential .Ie We could not be trusted!
            johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
              Local surgeries were DDs. They refused to send any fax on grounds that they were confidential .Ie We could not be trusted!
              johnep
              The fax in question was from a Nurse independent prescriber who told the patient that 'it would be faxed straight away'.
              No criticism intended to the Nurse who was probably rushing round from patient to patient.
              However, someone in authority says 'straight away' the patient expects that to happen.
              Hence, not receiving the fax was a failing of the pharmacy.

As faxes contain may confidential information, such as patient name, DoB, address and medication details, it is best if proper prescriptions were used instead. <g>
              That would prevent the 'clean up' activity that continues long after the patient has been supplied against the fax.

How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

1) What do you think the benefits of Social Media for Community Pharmacy are?

Social media should be welcomed as a tool to raise awareness about community pharmacy, lobby for community pharmacy, market community pharmacy and expand community pharmacy through eCommerce. It can give access to your services and supplies when your bricks and mortar operation is closed. It can provide new business opportunities to struggling businesses that at the moment are relying on income from an ever reducing source (NHS England). It can also provide new opportunities to collaborate with different businesses within the health and retail sectors.

2) Why do you think that Community Pharmacies are yet to embrace Social Media?

Fear: Extra costs - it doesn't need to be expensive.
                Ignorance/lack of confidence: Many pharmacists and pharmacy businesses do not understand how it can work to their advantage
                Risk averse: Many pharmacists and pharmacy businesses do not wish to do anything other than their traditional way of working and step outside their comfort zone
                Lack of resources: Many pharmacists and pharmacy businesses believe they do not have the time and resources. They do not consider developing current staff or outsourcing
                Image: Many pharmacist already have an aversion to the commercial image of pharmacy, outside the core NHS, which is why many are choosing a career working in multi-disciplinary teams within General Practice, community, urgent care and social services environment. Who can blame them when they see the investment in healthcare going in that direction.

The good news is there are lots of up and coming start ups and entrepreneurial pharmacists that will embrace change including social media and flourish in the future

Comment

Originally posted by BrianA View Post
                  1) What do you think the benefits of Social Media for Community Pharmacy are?

Social media should be welcomed as a tool to raise awareness about community pharmacy, lobby for community pharmacy, market community pharmacy and expand community pharmacy through eCommerce. It can give access to your services and supplies when your bricks and mortar operation is closed. It can provide new business opportunities to struggling businesses that at the moment are relying on income from an ever reducing source (NHS England). It can also provide new opportunities to collaborate with different businesses within the health and retail sectors.

2) Why do you think that Community Pharmacies are yet to embrace Social Media?

Fear: Extra costs - it doesn't need to be expensive.
                  Ignorance/lack of confidence: Many pharmacists and pharmacy businesses do not understand how it can work to their advantage
                  Risk averse: Many pharmacists and pharmacy businesses do not wish to do anything other than their traditional way of working and step outside their comfort zone
                  Lack of resources: Many pharmacists and pharmacy businesses believe they do not have the time and resources. They do not consider developing current staff or outsourcing
                  Image: Many pharmacist already have an aversion to the commercial image of pharmacy, outside the core NHS, which is why many are choosing a career working in multi-disciplinary teams within General Practice, community, urgent care and social services environment. Who can blame them when they see the investment in healthcare going in that direction.

The good news is there are lots of up and coming start ups and entrepreneurial pharmacists that will embrace change including social media and flourish in the future
                  Still wondering how to fit this into the working day?

How times change.

Comment

Still wondering how to fit this into the working day?
                    You don’t. It is what you do to pass the time in the evenings and your days off.

Comment

Originally posted by hibernia View Post

You don’t. It is what you do to pass the time in the evenings and your days off.
                      So the simple answer is to extend the working day? <Rhetorical question>
                      The hourly rate plunges even further then.
                      How times change.

Comment

When I was a rep would work at home until 9pm with follow up letters to hospital Drs seen etc.
                        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                          When I was a rep would work at home until 9pm with follow up letters to hospital Drs seen etc.
                          johnep
                          Different strokes for different folks...
                          Would you be able to do that after a day of 'full on pharmacy'?

How times change.

Comment

No. I was often home stretched out in the garden on a lounger with tea at 4pm. No Saturdays, of course. When my daughter was small, I once did not get out to work the London Hospitals until 10 am. By 2 pm I had seen thirteen and set out for home. Needed to get out of London or Cambridge by 4 pm to avoid traffic jams.
                            johnep

Comment

Working...
                            X