Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Media for Community Pharmacy

Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions and would love to know your thoughts.

1) What do you think the benefits of Social Media for Community Pharmacy are?

2) Why do you think that Community Pharmacies are yet to embrace Social Media?

I believe Social Media can play a huge role in Pharmacy and is an area of interest for me.

Thanks for your time

Too late. Forum already on Facebook and Twitter.
    If not convinced search using the search box.
    johnep

Comment

Ok cool. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Medman View Post
        Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions and would love to know your thoughts.

1) What do you think the benefits of Social Media for Community Pharmacy are?

2) Why do you think that Community Pharmacies are yet to embrace Social Media?

I believe Social Media can play a huge role in Pharmacy and is an area of interest for me.

Thanks for your time
        I think many companies see social media as something that is scalable, to be done by head office.

So shops with lots of small sites and a small number of workers I think people are sceptical about it. Individual pharmacists or sites may actively use it.

Retail/shops/pharmacies in general are generally smaller isolated sites and resistant to newer technology. I think a lot of big companies are actually pretty technophobic and worry about losing the old fashioned way and human interaction.

1) Benefits of social media to community pharmacy would be raising the profile of the profession and the change going through at the moment - global sum cuts, EPS, referrals.

As a platform for promotion I think that longer hour pharmacies there is a lot of potential to promote that they are there and open. I think a lot of patients do not realise in towns and cities there are late opening pharmacies where they could go and get stuff or even have a consultation with a pharmacist. I think there's a huge amount of potential there. The problem is retail generally just uses social media as a cool thing with a lot of backslapping for headline grabbing campaigns and a way of dealing with complaints.

2) As well as reasons above, I think pharmacists probably don't think they have the time. You get pharmacists who are overworked saying that they didn't go to university to be stuck in a dispensary or dealing with complaints all day or just the random bizarre stuff you get in retail. Similarly I don't think many would think, oh I should be doing x amount of social media a week, even if they thought it was good for their business.

Comment

There are many pharmacist who use social media like twitter to get point across regarding pharmacy and some pharmacist have come on bbc programme as well. Unfortunately there are not enough and could be linked to various reason.

Comment

Originally posted by mcitr View Post

I think many companies see social media as something that is scalable, to be done by head office.

So shops with lots of small sites and a small number of workers I think people are sceptical about it. Individual pharmacists or sites may actively use it.

Retail/shops/pharmacies in general are generally smaller isolated sites and resistant to newer technology. I think a lot of big companies are actually pretty technophobic and worry about losing the old fashioned way and human interaction.

1) Benefits of social media to community pharmacy would be raising the profile of the profession and the change going through at the moment - global sum cuts, EPS, referrals.

As a platform for promotion I think that longer hour pharmacies there is a lot of potential to promote that they are there and open. I think a lot of patients do not realise in towns and cities there are late opening pharmacies where they could go and get stuff or even have a consultation with a pharmacist. I think there's a huge amount of potential there. The problem is retail generally just uses social media as a cool thing with a lot of backslapping for headline grabbing campaigns and a way of dealing with complaints.

2) As well as reasons above, I think pharmacists probably don't think they have the time. You get pharmacists who are overworked saying that they didn't go to university to be stuck in a dispensary or dealing with complaints all day or just the random bizarre stuff you get in retail. Similarly I don't think many would think, oh I should be doing x amount of social media a week, even if they thought it was good for their business.
            Thanks for your comments mcitr. Time is a massive issue in pharmacy right now.

Comment

Originally posted by HI2013 View Post
              There are many pharmacist who use social media like twitter to get point across regarding pharmacy and some pharmacist have come on bbc programme as well. Unfortunately there are not enough and could be linked to various reason.
              Thanks for this HI2013

Comment

Thanks for your comments mcitr. Time is a massive issue in pharmacy right now.
                A lot of small entities struggle with websites and web presence.

I've seen this with sports clubs where they've had no website or very basic website and when you talked to people they would be slightly interested but say well we've always done it that way and we get members, why would we want to change? Or that they were about the sports not the website.

Seen very similar things in takeaway food outlets. On the other hand some are really tech keen (a few).

Small charities are generally terrible at web presence too.

Is that a bit clearer? So yes pharmacies don't have the time with all the cuts, but it's also that old adage about saying you don't have the time for something is also a way of saying it's not important for you/it's not a priority. I see it more as an opportunity, you change how you do things and maybe some pharmacists would surprise themselves and think well that's a bit different to what I have done recently at work and it is pharmacy related.

Comment

A lot of small entities struggle with websites and web presence.

I've seen this with sports clubs where they've had no website or very basic website and when you talked to people they would be slightly interested but say well we've always done it that way and we get members, why would we want to change? Or that they were about the sports not the website.

Seen very similar things in takeaway food outlets. On the other hand some are really tech keen (a few).

Small charities are generally terrible at web presence too.

Is that a bit clearer? So yes pharmacies don't have the time with all the cuts, but it's also that old adage about saying you don't have the time for something is also a way of saying it's not important for you/it's not a priority. I see it more as an opportunity, you change how you do things and maybe some pharmacists would surprise themselves and think well that's a bit different to what I have done recently at work and it is pharmacy related.
                  I completely agree. Yes, time is limiting factor in pharmacy but if pharmacies don't adapt and begin to use other marketing channels (where a lot of their consumers are these days), then it's gonna be hard to compete in the long-run. Pharmacies need to embed new marketing strategies within the current business model

Comment

The phone never stops ringing these days.
                    What do we do when social media never stops pinging?
                    Not enough resources to do everything let alone engage with social media.
                    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                      The phone never stops ringing these days.
                      What do we do when social media never stops pinging?
                      Not enough resources to do everything let alone engage with social media.
                      Social Media is now the most popular communication channel there is and will become even more popular. Phone is so annoying these days, you're right. What if we could filter out the non-urgent calls though, which accounts for the bulk of them anyway...Social Media can play a role here for sure an save up a lot time in the pharmacy, theoretically. I need to grab my hands on some data I suppose to back that comment up.

Comment

Social Media is now the most popular communication channel there is and will become even more popular. Phone is so annoying these days, you're right. What if we could filter out the non-urgent calls though, which accounts for the bulk of them anyway...Social Media can play a role here for sure an save up a lot time in the pharmacy, theoretically. I need to grab my hands on some data I suppose to back that comment up.
                        It's so frustrating. So many other businesses are deploying voice recognition even to solve problems like this. In a few year's time voice recognition should be able to deal with the 'is my prescription ready yet' call, which we get so many of, sometimes multiple times per day from the same patient. Or more tech on the NHS side to say what the status is.

Comment

Of dear, I must be a dinosaur as only use email. Facebook keeps telling me I have 89 notifications.
                          johnep

Comment

It's so frustrating. So many other businesses are deploying voice recognition even to solve problems like this. In a few year's time voice recognition should be able to deal with the 'is my prescription ready yet' call, which we get so many of, sometimes multiple times per day from the same patient. Or more tech on the NHS side to say what the status is.
                            I'm sure it will help but I can't see pharmacy making this investment.
                            I don't think it will reduce the volume of phone calls - we will get the same number plus the other media on top.
                            Sorry if there is a lack of perceived enthusism.
                            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Yes, we have had similar offers re TV screens ad adverts.
                              johnep

Comment

Working...
                              X