Musings on technology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musings on technology

Non-Pharmacist : anyone can take a box off a shelf, stick a label on it and give it out.
    Ph : That's interesting; right shelf, right box, right label, right patient, and right clinical decisions, any time and every time?
    That anyone must be another pharmacist then!

AM : We are looking at increasing automation to reduce our staffing levels.
    Ph : That's interesting. There might not be a need for AM's with less staff around then?

IT Professional : we are developing automation to increase business efficiency.
    Ph : That's interesting : When AI is developed won't the software write itself, reducing the need for IT professionals; so increasing the business efficiency of the IT sector.

Esteemed colleagues, beware of the unintended consequences of everything.
    ...including reading this posting.

PS : for the month of July - phrase every response with "Thats interesting...."
    Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
    Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
    If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

"right shelf, right box, right label, right patient, and right clinical decisions" the only part of this that cannot be completed by a robot (or ACT) is the clinical check.I'm guessing but about 80% of scripts are now repeats for chronic conditions that are processed through the dispensary with the only input from the pharmacist being the accuracy check at the end. The assumption is that "They've had it before so it must be ok." The 20% of scripts that are changes or new items for the patient require a clinical check to ensure that they are appropriate. These items are usually highlighted by the software at the point of dispensing rather than picked up by the pharmacist. In these instances pharmacist intervention or an MUR or NMS review may be appropriate which is a much better use of pharmacist time that accuracy checking.

Pharmacist: Only a pharmacist can ensure that medicines are dispensed form the right shelf, in the right box, with the right label, to the right patient, and with the right clinical decisions. Medicines supply and the dispensing process must remain as the primary role of the pharmacist as there is no time for new clinical services.

Non Pharmacist: If 80% of the primary role of the pharmacist can be completed by an unqualified person or a machine won't that devalue the role of the pharmacist causing a drop in pharmacist remuneration?

Be careful what you fight for.
    [I]Nice information. I like your information very much. It is a perfect information that clears all my doubts and gives a clear idea regarding that. It is really advantageous for me.I would definably take the benefit of it.[/I]

Comment

Working...
    X