The English board, The Society & The NPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The English board, The Society & The NPA

Apparently these 3 outfits are getting together to promote pharmacy... highlighting pharmacy in the "New Age".... i.e the pharmacist is not hear but ask the Pharmacy Support staff! (keep dumbing down p'cists hoping new prescribing powers will take over; oh yes hospital & PCT p'cists will prescribe...as for community p'cists....keep holding your breathe, PCTs aren't even funding enhanced services!
    Hello .. wake up and smell the coffee we can't even be trusted to sell pseudoephedrine responsibly!

I am all for skill-mix in fact a 100% and there are some brilliant pharmacy support staff who are assetts , but these organisations have not consulted with Pharmacists as to how we feel skill mix should work.
    As a locum p'cist some employers might say don't bother coming in from 9-12 b/c legally we don't need to have you here but pop in for a few hours work and leave a bit early as we would like to save on our locum bill ... etc.....believe you me it will happen... no worries really if it does....my only worry is who will be responsible for those periods not covered by the locum,although the proprietor might have put the p'cists name down as the "responsible p'cist"

I feel all members must be consulted on the skill mix thing
    Skill mix is a wonderful idea but pharmacists should have a choice on things they would like to delegate.Personally all GSLs & completed prescriptions should be able to be sold / given out without a p'cist being present .

Prescripitions for bags,non-steroidal creams, feeds,Strips & dressings could be dispensed by a qualidied tech without a p'cist being present.....anything else in my opinion would compromise patient safety
    Last edited by kemzero; 17, March 2007, 07:25 PM.
    Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Re: The English board, The Society & The NPA

Originally posted by kemzero View Post
    Apparently these 3 outfits are getting together to promote pharmacy... highlighting pharmacy in the "New Age".... i.e the pharmacist is not hear but ask the Pharmacy Support staff! (keep dumbing down p'cists hoping new prescribing powers will take over; oh yes hospital & PCT p'cists will prescribe...as for community p'cists....keep holding your breathe, PCTs aren't even funding enhanced services!
    Hello .. wake up and smell the coffee we can't even be trusted to sell pseudoephedrine responsibly!

I am all for skill-mix in fact a 100% and there are some brilliant pharmacy support staff who are assetts , but these organisations have not consulted with Pharmacists as to how we feel skill mix should work.
    As a locum p'cist some employers might say don't bother coming in from 9-12 b/c legally we don't need to have you here but pop in for a few hours work and leave a bit early as we would like to save on our locum bill ... etc.....believe you me it will happen... no worries really if it does....my only worry is who will be responsible for those periods not covered by the locum,although the proprietor might have put the p'cists name down as the "responsible p'cist"

I feel all members must be consulted on the skill mix thing
    Skill mix is a wonderful idea but pharmacists should have a choice on things they would like to delegate.Personally all GSLs & completed prescriptions should be able to be sold / given out without a p'cist being present .

Prescripitions for bags,non-steroidal creams, feeds,Strips & dressings could be dispensed by a qualidied tech without a p'cist being present.....anything else in my opinion would compromise patient safety
    I think you have hit the spot - the changes will have all sorts of unintended consequences as companies try to cut costs. After all, thats what the pharmacist is to them!

I think its time to get out while the going is good.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

HELLO?
      HELLO?

IS MY COMPUTER WORKING?

KNOCK ONCE FOR YES AND TWICE FOR NO.

Since I put up for election I have done nothing but ask people for their thoughts, ideas and input.

I have asked for this on my own website, on this one, locumvoice, Private Rx and the PJ.

In 4 months I have received, go on, guess how many e-mails,

go on I dare you!

12 e-mails! Yes 12! Not even one a week.

Does my sign off not show up on your computers?

If you tell me what you want said and I don't say it then please slag me off.

If you can't be arsed to contact me then what am I supposed to do?

Any ideas anybody? I can't speak for the rest of the society but I have asked for your input and have received diddly squat.

How can I listen to you if you don't speak? I'm not psychic.

The issues that most people are raising were raised at the first EPB meeting but how could you know that? You didn't even bother to ask.

Sorry admin if this seems a little harsh and I will understand if you pull this post but I'm getting tired of being told I don't listen when I've got nothing to listen to.
      Last edited by Linnear; 18, March 2007, 09:43 AM.
      Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
      pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
      eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by kemzero View Post
        Apparently these 3 outfits are getting together to promote pharmacy... highlighting pharmacy in the "New Age"...
        How many times have we heard this before? 'This is an exciting time to be entering pharmacy....yadda yadda...changes...yadda...role of the pharmacist....yadda yadda....' About every 5 years. Will it be any different this time? Maybe, just maybe with the splitting of the society. I live in hope.

Comment

So the argument goes:

Nothing's been done before.

Nothing will be done this time.

So it's not worth saying anything and then we can blame someone else because I wasn't involved and no-one ever listened to me.

Have I got that right? Just checking.
          Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
            So the argument goes:

Nothing's been done before.

Nothing will be done this time.

So it's not worth saying anything and then we can blame someone else because I wasn't involved and no-one ever listened to me.

Have I got that right? Just checking.
            Not quite - the Society (and presumably the English Board) cannot represent pharmacists - just pharmacy.
            The NPA represents its members (mainly contractors)

My thoughts on most things are on this board or elsewhere and I don't believe I need to e-mail you off list.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by kemzero
              Dear Colleagues

Linnear is right....we haven't posted or raised any concerns about the way pharmacy is going...if at all it is going anywhere.
              Historically pharmacists are not used to complaining or writing loads of stuff..or are we?
              Perhaps a questionnaire detailing pertinent questions would do the trick....something has to, otherwise the whole pharmacy profession will be dumbed down into oblivion; some will be prescribers but will not be able to get jobs as nurses are cheaper and doctors are the real McCoy. If I need a doctor...er...Prescriber.. urgently say I had serious chest pains and a MBBS FRCP;RGN or MRPharmS holders were near-by...I know who I'll ask for diagnosis ....might trust a clinical pharmacist with the treatment but nothing else.....WE NEED TO GET REAL;particularly CP'cists!!!.
              .................................................. ..............
              Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                Not quite - the Society (and presumably the English Board) cannot represent pharmacists - just pharmacy.
                The NPA represents its members (mainly contractors)

My thoughts on most things are on this board or elsewhere and I don't believe I need to e-mail you off list.

Jeff

Jeff, you are one of the few that I can say I always know how you feel!

I was just a little mad that I'm accused of not listening when no-one has said anything.

The post here that states the EPB haven't listened about the skill mix paper is the first I'd heard from anyone on this board about it.

So come on everyone e-mail me! (Not necessarily you Jeff as you always make your feelings known anyway! )
                Linnear MRPharmS

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post

Jeff
                  I'm with Jeff on this one. Mine, and I assume everyone's, opinion is free for you to use to build up an argument for the board.

But opinion is of minimal worth without fact. Like I said on my pseudoephedrine post, before i read this rant, I am willing to provide coherant arguments and will do so.

But I enjoy a good rant too.

Someone mentioned questionnaires - maybe a good idea. Most people feel more comfortable responding to a structered questionnarie, rather than being faced with a blank page.

Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by N.T View Post
                    Someone mentioned questionnaires - maybe a good idea. Most people feel more comfortable responding to a structered questionnarie, rather than being faced with a blank page.
                    We're knee deep in consultations
                    Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain
                    but usually choose to ignore them
                    Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by N.T View Post
                      I'm with Jeff on this one. Mine, and I assume everyone's, opinion is free for you to use to build up an argument for the board.
                      OK, but the EPB and that includes me was accused of not listening in the FIRST post on this topic. By all measn say they may not be able to do anything and I'll try to prove you wrong but don't say I don't listen when my e-mail box only contains letters from the legal advisors to dead geezers in Uganda.

But opinion is of minimal worth without fact. Like I said on my pseudoephedrine post, before i read this rant, I am willing to provide coherant arguments and will do so.
                      So provide the fact. Provide the argument AND provide the opinions, yes they are only opinions but 500 people with the same opinion may cause a stir. We'll never know if we don't try it.

Nuff said.
                      Linnear MRPharmS

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Working...
                      X