Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wanting to progress

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • wanting to progress

    Hello everybody, i'm after some advice, I completed the buttercups MCA course a few months ago, I really enjoyed this and want to continue learning, I have asked my employer multiple times if I could do the next course with no joy, do I stay at my current work place or try and find another job where they would happily enrole me on another course??? has anybody else had to fight to be put through courses?
    thanks

  • #2
    Regret a common situation. A modern version of when the gentry did not want their servants to learn to read and write. "Keeping them in their place".
    Training costs money and a qualified tech could leave for better conditions in hospital. So, "treat them mean and keep them keen".
    You have a choice, stay or leave or pay the fee yourself and keep quiet.
    johnep

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by johnep View Post
      Regret a common situation. A modern version of when the gentry did not want their servants to learn to read and write. "Keeping them in their place".
      Training costs money and a qualified tech could leave for better conditions in hospital. So, "treat them mean and keep them keen".
      You have a choice, stay or leave or pay the fee yourself and keep quiet.
      johnep
      Look at this from the other side.
      A lot of time and effort has been spent getting technicians first qualified and then through to ACT.
      They have then worked their contractual time to avoid paying back fees etc and then have left.
      Leaving us short staffed and begging management for a replacement; even if it is just someone to watch the counter.
      Sadly, this reduces our appetite for training up anyone new - especially after it has happened twice.

      Irony is, the grass isn't always greener. While some love the Hospital environment, others have reported back that they could not cope with the cliques and 'one-upmanship'.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

      If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by frazzles81 View Post
        Hello everybody, i'm after some advice, I completed the buttercups MCA course a few months ago, I really enjoyed this and want to continue learning, I have asked my employer multiple times if I could do the next course with no joy, do I stay at my current work place or try and find another job where they would happily enrole me on another course??? has anybody else had to fight to be put through courses?
        thanks
        It's a sector wide problem frazzles81.

        I had endless problems fighting to be put through the two courses. My original manager was very slack on admin and it took her months to get me my counter assistant course, even though this is illegal! When I got it, it took me 2.5 months to do. The dispensing assistant course there were three members of staff who wanted to be on it, two started a short while before I did. Manager playing one off against the other saying behind out backs they'd like to put whoever they were talking to on, but they had to be careful because the other two of us wanted to be on. This version of the story was said to all three of us. At times it got quite nasty with one of the other members of staff who saw the other two but particularly me as a big threat to their career ambitions of being a dispenser. One of the others left. I was put on the course eventually by an acting manager who was a staff member, there was no pharmacist so I was not allowed to start my course for a long time.

        If you don't get on the dispenser course, you will be airbrushed out of existence. The future of community pharmacy is grim and you need to get on that course.

        Moving: legitimate question. Depends how much you get paid and dispensers. Do you get paid minimum wage? Do the dispensers get paid minimum wage or 10p more? What are the conditions like at your shop?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post

          Look at this from the other side.
          A lot of time and effort has been spent getting technicians first qualified and then through to ACT.
          They have then worked their contractual time to avoid paying back fees etc and then have left.
          Leaving us short staffed and begging management for a replacement; even if it is just someone to watch the counter.
          Sadly, this reduces our appetite for training up anyone new - especially after it has happened twice.

          Irony is, the grass isn't always greener. While some love the Hospital environment, others have reported back that they could not cope with the cliques and 'one-upmanship'.
          That means you have a **** regional manager.

          Of course hospital is a very different environment. Whatever people think people will always be drawn to it by the insanely bad pay and conditions in community and the lure of more learning and vastly more pay (eventually) in hospital.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mcitr View Post

            That means you have a **** regional manager.

            Of course hospital is a very different environment. Whatever people think people will always be drawn to it by the insanely bad pay and conditions in community and the lure of more learning and vastly more pay (eventually) in hospital.
            In those days we didn't have regional managers - straight to the owners of the business.

            These days we are all 'easy to replace'...
            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
            How times change.

            If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

            Comment

            Working...
            X